“Undiscovered modern gem of a spa hotel, with superb food, very friendly and helpful staff”
Review of Regency Park Hotel

Regency Park Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 1 November 2009

Booked a 3 night spa break over half term, via website TravelZoo. Hotel was very comfortable (we were upgraded to a suite with a balcony - we sat there in the warm sunshine and its was the end of October!). We were half board and the breakfast was extensive and tasty. Dinner menu was superb, great choice , well presented and good value. It would have been nice to have petit fours with the coffee.
The break included two spa treatments each day! My wife and I were very impressed as the girls were very professional and skilled, especially Nicky.
There was an excellent gym, super pool and jacuzzi, sauna and steam room.
Newbury is close by, pleasant little town with good clother shops.
We chilled out at the hotel , and it was just the place for that.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
StephenWoodrow, General Manager at Regency Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to post a review. We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay and that we were able to offer you an upgrade on this occasion. I am pleased you were able to make the most of our spa facilities and received excellent service. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 1 November 2009

We went with TravelZoo for a bargain night stay...
We paid only £112.00 for the two of us, which Included dinner, bed & full English breakfast, FREE upgrade to an Executive Bedroom, FREE bottle of House Wine(in the room), FREE use of revive Health Club, 20% off voucher for any prebooked spa treatments in revive Spa, FREE car parking. Couples only offer.

Hotel was very clean and as we had stayed at the Pedersens hotel in Winchester we were expecting the same. It wasn't.

We suspect that the room we given was not an Executive Room. The room temperature was not controllable and quite hot. The tea and coffe facilities and bathroom toileteries were sparten and very basic. The red wine in the room was nice though. There was a function on in the hotel and service in the restaurant was slow. The staff were yound and showed a lack of thorough training, unlike the Winchester hotel, and missed items from our order. It took several attempts to get water server do our table. The main dishes were very nicely prepared and so were the vegetables (small portions though) however when we asked for chunky chips to complement the nice dishes we were presented with the worst fish shop style chips I have tasted in a restaurant (greasy and stodgy). The deserts were served pooly without appropriate cutlery and my pear and ginger desert tasted as if it had been heated in a microwave rather than cooked. My wifes dishes were fine. Half way through the meal the waiter apologised for the delay because as he said " the chef is being awkward"....

Not too bad overall but don't expect the same standard as the Winchester Pedersens.

The breakfast the following day was very very busy - more like a canteen than a restaurant. My fried eggs I requested were pre-cooked and solid - not to to my order.

We probably got our moneys worth.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2009

When my friends and I decided to go for a weekend spa break we could never have imagined the wonderful service and experience we'd get from the Regency Park Hotel.

We'd booked a one night spa pamper package via travelzoo (officially my favourite website), which for £159 per room included a light lunch from the bar menu, a three course dinner up to the value of £27.50 in their award winning restaurant, breakfast, a 30 minute spa treatment (the body glow treatment was fantastic), fluffy robes,
use of the spa throughout the stay and complimentary car parking.

The day before our arrival I received a call from the hotel informing me that there had been flooding to the two twin rooms I'd booked and that to compensate we'd be upgraded to their double executive rooms. Even better, was that to avoid us having to share a double bed, we'd be allocated a double executive room each! This got our weekend to a great start and we hadn't even arrived yet...

On the day of arrival we ended up reaching the hotel later than planned which resulted in three of the four of us missing our 30 minute spa treatments. The staff at the Revive spa were incredibly accommodating, and rebooked our treatments for the following morning without question, which was very much appreciated.

Check-in at the hotel was quick and efficient. The rooms we were allocated were on the second floor and were spacious and clean. Each room offered complimentary bottled water, tea and coffee making facilities with packets of shortbread biscuits, a bowl of fresh fruit, his n hers magazines, an iron and ironing board, trouser press, hairdryer, tv with sky channels, a power shower with good pressure and a comfy sofa and table with separate desk with mirror and two chairs. The bed was also incredibly comfortable.

Dining
You can take your lunch at anytime and depsite the serving times of certain dishes written on the bar menu, the staff were very accommodating and allowed us to order items outside of the listed times. We only paid for drinks which is not included in the package. The food was really fresh and tasty, which is not what any of the group had expected (we were thinking more sandwiches, pastas or light salads to be served).

Dinner also exceeded our expectations. The staff were helpful in substituting or removing specific ingredients from dishes if requested, and the menu offered a wide choice for both carnivores and vegetarians. The starter of scallops was delicious. Their ice creams were also obviously home made and offered flavours such as fennel, praline and mint. The water fountain feature looked stunning in the evening too.

Breakfast is also served in the restaurant. There was a nice selection of hot and cold foods, including sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs, hash browns, beans, tomatoes and mushrooms. They also offered a nice selection of pastries, cereals and fresh fruit. Eggs can be cooked to order at breakfast, and staff were continually ensuring that food was re-stocked before it got too low.

Overall I cannot fault this hotel one bit. Our check out time of 11am was extended to 1pm and the staff were so friendly and were able to advise on bars and clubs both in Newbury and nearby Reading. For a break with friends or loved ones this is a wonderful haven to escape to. Plus from what we could see is a very popular place to hold weddings and such. I'm very much looking forward to booking another relaxing trip to this hotel in the near future.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marble_girl

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to post such a detailed review of your stay with us. I am delighted you and your group had an enjoyable weekend. Your complimentary comments are much appreciated by all the staff and we hope you return to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 1 September 2009

Just come back from a weekend break at the Regency Park. We were celebrating a special anniversary. Deluxe room, lovely, spacious, very clean. Lovely, large, comfortable bed. Would like to have had a more modern walk in shower rather than shower overbath, but that was our only criticism. Great nights sleep apart from the first night when some idiot decided to push the fire alarm just before 4am (prob too much to drink!!) Hotel evacuated all guests till it was passed safe to go back in by the fire brigade.
Staff were amongst the friendliest we have ever come across. Was nice to see the same receptionist during our stay, rather than a different member of staff every time. She was aware of who we were and would ask if we had, had a nice day when we returned from a day out.
Restaurant staff, very friendly, courteous. Food very good, stylish and inventive menu. Have to admit that one night the service seemed slightly slower, we mentioned it to the MAitre D' and he apoligised saying they were staff short that night. They had weddings going on all over the bank holiday so its acceptable that they were busier than usual.
Swimming pool, nice situation, nice loungers along side the pool for those (like myself) prefering to sit with a good book while hubby enjoys a long swim. Sauna, jacuzzi and steam room all by the poolside, so its easy to go from one to the other if required. Didnt get a chance to try out the spa facilities, but will do on our next visit.
The hotel has a very good security pass system to the pool area by use of electronic room pass cards.

We will return to the Regency Park as we felt that the staff welcomed us as individuals and not just one of many. Also we had expected noisy nights as we knew there were weddings arranged, but we heard no noise from the parties.

1  Thank ellamlc

Thank you for your comments regarding your previous stay with us. It is very pleasing to read your comments regarding the employees of the hotel and these will be passed on to them all.

I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel for a return visit and I hope you have a further enjoyable stay with us.

Stephen Woodrow, General Manager

Reviewed 1 September 2009

We stayed one night in advance of a wedding the next day. A treat for us so that we had somewhere comfortable to get ready as guests to the wedding instead of having to leave home early on the actual day and then arrive in creased clothes.

The hotel is part of the Pederson chain and is great value for money – except the dining in the Watermark restaurant. More of that later!

The room we had was huge with a sofa, separate chair and work station. Tea and coffee making facilities are provided along with everything as listed on the website. We didn’t have an executive room so no bathrobes but that wasn’t a problem. The hotel is quiet, even with 2 weddings on the day we arrived. So that’s a great plus point. The beds are comfortable with lots of good quality pillows.

The down side to our stay was that we decided to treat ourselves to dinner in the “fine dining” restaurant. Sadly, this was a huge mistake. I should have realised something might not be quite right when I asked for a glass of wine and when the waiter brought it to me his exact words were “here you are madam, a large glass of Australia’s finest”!! I had not asked for a large glass and was disappointed that he’d presumed I’d enjoy the wine enough to actually drink a large glass. He had no idea whether I was driving or not, or indeed whether I could actually drink a large glass of wine. My husband asked for a lager shandy and when he tasted it he said it was a lager top. We called the waiter over to ask about the shandy and when my husband told him what he’d asked for the waiter said “Oh I gave you a lager top”!! Why, when a customer has asked for a shandy, did the waiter again presume to change the order and serve a lager top?!!

I chose a first course dish that clearly was far too adventurous for chef and when it arrived there was one missing item and the filling in the spring roll tasted of absolutely nothing! At this point I felt I really did have to say something as I was simply not prepared to pay a lot of money (over-priced in my opinion) for something I wasn’t getting. I asked the waiter where the pickled walnut was and the filling had no taste of ricotta whatsoever. He said he’d speak to chef. When the meal came back there was the most minuscule piece of walnut I've ever seen, along with more taste of ricotta which was pleasant. The herb salad was a tablespoon-sized serving of curly leafed lettuce only. By this time I’d given up all hope of actually receiving what is described on the menu and ate it.

Be warned – the food is very overpriced in this restaurant. Bar prices are high too, so we were told by guests at the wedding the next day. We hadn’t noticed that particularly as we’re used to London prices but it’s disappointing to have to write reviews like this as I usually have no complaints about food and drinks wherever we go.

But…………..the hotel is a great place to stay nevertheless. I have a feeling there may be a bit of refurb going on as some of the corridors had badly stained carpet and seriously out-dated wallpaper so make sure you ask for a room that’s been updated.

1  Thank Tiggsy
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Good stay. Made full use of the pool and restaurant. Food very good. Staff very helpful. Room on top floor not very roomy and had a sloping ceiling, but adequate. Had slight issue on checkout - extended booking paid in advance charged for again, but sorted quickly and efficiently.

1  Thank pinc
Reviewed 3 July 2009

We stayed here for a much needed romantic night away booked via Off Peak Luxury.com (who I would also highly recommend for their great value last minute luxury packages) and we had a brilliant time. The package we booked was quite extensive with champagne and chocs on arrival, dinner, breakfast, upgrade, late check out etc etc and I am always dubious with such detailed packages whether anyone actually told the hotel what was included.....the communication between OffPeakLuxury and the Regency Park is clearly working well!

From the moment we arrived it was wonderful. A very modern hotel but with a great friendly welcome. The hotel knew exactly what was in our package and we were checked into what they told us was an Executive Room. I am pretty sure this was a junior suite as it was huge! Big bed, sofa area, desk area, vanity area, large bathroom with lovely toiletries, robes, big flat screen TV...the works AND it was spotlessly clean. Not ony that there was a chilled bottle of champagne, chocolates AND home made cookies waiting for us when we arrived.

We then went to enjoy the extensive leisure facilities which are brilliant, clean and modern (Jacuzzi was out of use but appart from that, great) on the way there we were met at reception, our name used and it was checked what time we wanted our dinner, was our room OK etc etc....very impressed. We later came back, got ready and went for a drink before dinner, a very reasonably priced cocktail menu available and again, spotted in the bar and given menus to peruse whilst enjoying a Cosmo (this is my kind of service!) The food and service at dinner were excellent (as is the brillliant water feature outside the restaurant) and moreover we were not forgotten as there was a big function and a birthday party on but us and other individual guests still received excellent service from what I could see. On the way back we were asked by name at reception what time we would like our complimentary papers and hot drinks delivered in the morning (part of package) again very organised

A great night's sleep and papers and drinks received we then went down for breakfast about 10ish. My usual experience of Sunday breakfast is a total bunfight...not here! It was busy and there was the odd wait for things but all in all great quality food, good service and the friendly people we had got used to meeting serving us. We did have a late checkout but as it was such a beautiful day we chose to go and visit some of the National Trust properties nearby (there are many) - even then on the way out reception asked if everything was OK as they were concerned we were leaving when we did not have to check out until 2pm.

All in all a fabulous stay. I would recommened this hotel for friendly service, great food, good facilities and in a pretty good location to visit many things. We really enjoyed our weekend stay and I would go back in the future.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple