“Excellent hotel all round”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Regency Park Hotel

Regency Park Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel all round”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2010

Only stayed here 1 night with friends as we were off to the races at Newbury.
Staff encountered at bar and reception were all friendly and efficient (if perhaps not the speediest!) - hotel is in a nice, quiet location with easy access to main routes.
Room was not a standard shape which made it slightly more interesting than a typical business-style hotel's rooms and was in immaculate condition, full of amenities too. Bathroom was also very spacious, nice shower, everything was spotless.
Breakfast buffet in morning was perfectly adequate and had a decent selection albeit it that staff were relatively non-existent given this is a 4* hotel!
Not a place I would recommend for a long stay as it lacked "soul" but for an overnight stay or business, this is certainly a cut above the rest and recommended.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
StephenWoodrow, General Manager at Regency Park Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2010
Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and appreciate your kind comments on the facilities and staff members. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
Dorset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2010

We stayed one weekend on a deal from Travel Zoo - half board deluxe room with a free bottle of wine, use of the spa etc. We were pleasantly surprised as the hotel doesn't look great from the outside. Our room was large, very clean and simply decorated in a typical scandanavian style. The food was good and they even allowed us to change the bottle of wine which had been left for us in the room for something more to our taste.

Unfortunately there was a very large party staying there as well so when we went down for breakfast all the tables had been taken and there was hardly any food left on the buffet. It was more like a school canteen than a restaurant and the staff were totally rushed off their feet and harrassed. Once the party had gone however the staff quickly re-set tables and replenished food. Fortunately that party had their own room for the evening so dinner was a much more sedate affair.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor. I am very pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us, although disappointed that breakfast was a little hectic on this occasion. I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2010

I have never stayed somewhere so overpriced and understaffed by kids with an average age of 23. The food is the most overambitious, overpriced and in some circumstances undercooked I have ever had the displeasure to encounter.

Upon arrival we were given a room without offer of assistance with our luggage, located at the back of the hotel directly above the air conditioning extractor for the kitchen and with an aged bathroom that was at least 30 years old. On request we were offered a different room that although had a better bathroom and location still had stained furniture and bed covers.

We asked for an additional duvet at reception and were met by the rude defensive attitude of the duty Manager , who brusquely said there were none spare and he may find something but he'd see what he could do and then said no more to us about it, even though he saw us on the way to dinner and in the bar.

As dinner approached we had a drink in the bar which appears to be the same age and state of repair as the first bathroom that we saw. We were also surprised to find that although the offer below includes a three course dinner, this meal was restricted to a value of £27.50. Any other spend above this would be charged to our room bill. This in effect made it impossible to have an inclusive three course meal, due to the costs of the individual courses.

The restaurant itself was cold and manned by a inexperienced and monosllyabic teenage girl who had no knowledge of the menu and was incapable of recommending any dishes. We chose two starters : Lobster Souffle and one of Scallops with cooked and uncooked parma ham. The souffle was completely undercooked and mushlike and the scallops were over cooked. The menu itself was overpriced, pretentious and the chef was clearly incapable of cooking the dishes he / she attempted to. When we raised this issue with the head waiter, his response was defensive and rude, in effect asking what our issue was in even asking.

At this point I had had enough of completely substandard food, service and accommodation that we then spoke to the duty manager and informed him we wanted to check out after five hours on site. Explaining our reasons for leaving and our disappointment he concured that this was a business hotel rather than a luxury hotel and could understand our feelings. We then drove home at nine thirty at night than endure the experience any longer.

This hotel was little better than a Travelodge (albeit with larger dirtier rooms) and to market this as a luxurious hotel is completely at odds with the disappointing, rude and wasted experience we have had here.

I will be expecting a full refund for this transaction, to sell a weekend as a luxury break where food, service and accommodation is so substandard that we were forced to vacate five hours into our stay is wholly unacceptable.

If you can ever remember when Crossroads Motel had a revamp in the eighties and they chucked a leisure centre on the side, this place is it, unchanged since the late eighties. Please avoid at all costs.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SimonT30
StephenWoodrow, General Manager at Regency Park Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of The Regency Park Hotel. I was most concerned to read your comments, and ultimately very disappointed you felt the only option was to check out of the Hotel, after only five hours of been with us. For your short stay to be so poor, and your expectations very different, I have arranged through discussions with your booking agent, for a full refund to be credited to you.
You comments I have reviewed with my team, and I can assure you I will address these comment as necessary.
My sincere apologies, once again.

Kind Regards
Steve Woodrow
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2009

I stayed here for just 1 night on business. Check in was very efficient and someone helped me with my luggage
Being a lone female traveller, I often have room service, but I decided to eat in the restaurant, after being tempted by the menu on reception. I was given a quiet corner table in the restaurant. The staff were very friendly and I felt very comfortable.
I didn't have to try out the spa facilities, but htis hotel is very well equipped. Free wifi during the day in the reseption area. The room was spotless, with a huge comfortable bed. Breakfast was buffet syle and above average.
Very reasonable price for the amenities offered. Will definitely stay here when I am in the area again

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
StephenWoodrow, General Manager at Regency Park Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2010
Thank you very much for your kind comments and taking the trouble to post an entry on TripAdvisor. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome back to the hotel again soon and that you get the chance to experience our excellent spa facilties next time
Margate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2009

Booked a 3 night spa break over half term, via website TravelZoo. Hotel was very comfortable (we were upgraded to a suite with a balcony - we sat there in the warm sunshine and its was the end of October!). We were half board and the breakfast was extensive and tasty. Dinner menu was superb, great choice , well presented and good value. It would have been nice to have petit fours with the coffee.
The break included two spa treatments each day! My wife and I were very impressed as the girls were very professional and skilled, especially Nicky.
There was an excellent gym, super pool and jacuzzi, sauna and steam room.
Newbury is close by, pleasant little town with good clother shops.
We chilled out at the hotel , and it was just the place for that.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to post a review. We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay and that we were able to offer you an upgrade on this occasion. I am pleased you were able to make the most of our spa facilities and received excellent service. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming back to the hotel again soon.
Alton, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2009

We went with TravelZoo for a bargain night stay...
We paid only £112.00 for the two of us, which Included dinner, bed & full English breakfast, FREE upgrade to an Executive Bedroom, FREE bottle of House Wine(in the room), FREE use of revive Health Club, 20% off voucher for any prebooked spa treatments in revive Spa, FREE car parking. Couples only offer.

Hotel was very clean and as we had stayed at the Pedersens hotel in Winchester we were expecting the same. It wasn't.

We suspect that the room we given was not an Executive Room. The room temperature was not controllable and quite hot. The tea and coffe facilities and bathroom toileteries were sparten and very basic. The red wine in the room was nice though. There was a function on in the hotel and service in the restaurant was slow. The staff were yound and showed a lack of thorough training, unlike the Winchester hotel, and missed items from our order. It took several attempts to get water server do our table. The main dishes were very nicely prepared and so were the vegetables (small portions though) however when we asked for chunky chips to complement the nice dishes we were presented with the worst fish shop style chips I have tasted in a restaurant (greasy and stodgy). The deserts were served pooly without appropriate cutlery and my pear and ginger desert tasted as if it had been heated in a microwave rather than cooked. My wifes dishes were fine. Half way through the meal the waiter apologised for the delay because as he said " the chef is being awkward"....

Not too bad overall but don't expect the same standard as the Winchester Pedersens.

The breakfast the following day was very very busy - more like a canteen than a restaurant. My fried eggs I requested were pre-cooked and solid - not to to my order.

We probably got our moneys worth.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2009

When my friends and I decided to go for a weekend spa break we could never have imagined the wonderful service and experience we'd get from the Regency Park Hotel.

We'd booked a one night spa pamper package via travelzoo (officially my favourite website), which for £159 per room included a light lunch from the bar menu, a three course dinner up to the value of £27.50 in their award winning restaurant, breakfast, a 30 minute spa treatment (the body glow treatment was fantastic), fluffy robes,
use of the spa throughout the stay and complimentary car parking.

The day before our arrival I received a call from the hotel informing me that there had been flooding to the two twin rooms I'd booked and that to compensate we'd be upgraded to their double executive rooms. Even better, was that to avoid us having to share a double bed, we'd be allocated a double executive room each! This got our weekend to a great start and we hadn't even arrived yet...

On the day of arrival we ended up reaching the hotel later than planned which resulted in three of the four of us missing our 30 minute spa treatments. The staff at the Revive spa were incredibly accommodating, and rebooked our treatments for the following morning without question, which was very much appreciated.

Check-in at the hotel was quick and efficient. The rooms we were allocated were on the second floor and were spacious and clean. Each room offered complimentary bottled water, tea and coffee making facilities with packets of shortbread biscuits, a bowl of fresh fruit, his n hers magazines, an iron and ironing board, trouser press, hairdryer, tv with sky channels, a power shower with good pressure and a comfy sofa and table with separate desk with mirror and two chairs. The bed was also incredibly comfortable.

Dining
You can take your lunch at anytime and depsite the serving times of certain dishes written on the bar menu, the staff were very accommodating and allowed us to order items outside of the listed times. We only paid for drinks which is not included in the package. The food was really fresh and tasty, which is not what any of the group had expected (we were thinking more sandwiches, pastas or light salads to be served).

Dinner also exceeded our expectations. The staff were helpful in substituting or removing specific ingredients from dishes if requested, and the menu offered a wide choice for both carnivores and vegetarians. The starter of scallops was delicious. Their ice creams were also obviously home made and offered flavours such as fennel, praline and mint. The water fountain feature looked stunning in the evening too.

Breakfast is also served in the restaurant. There was a nice selection of hot and cold foods, including sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs, hash browns, beans, tomatoes and mushrooms. They also offered a nice selection of pastries, cereals and fresh fruit. Eggs can be cooked to order at breakfast, and staff were continually ensuring that food was re-stocked before it got too low.

Overall I cannot fault this hotel one bit. Our check out time of 11am was extended to 1pm and the staff were so friendly and were able to advise on bars and clubs both in Newbury and nearby Reading. For a break with friends or loved ones this is a wonderful haven to escape to. Plus from what we could see is a very popular place to hold weddings and such. I'm very much looking forward to booking another relaxing trip to this hotel in the near future.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marble_girl
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to post such a detailed review of your stay with us. I am delighted you and your group had an enjoyable weekend. Your complimentary comments are much appreciated by all the staff and we hope you return to the hotel again soon.