We stayed last night, for the first time, at Donnington Valley, and highly recommend it!
The Hotel has a classic chic decor, which is warm, inviting, and elegant.
I fell in love with it from the moment I walked through the door, greeted by a cheerful and welcoming receptionist.
We stayed in an Executive room, which was incredibly spacious and had a beautifully comfy (and massive) bed, and fabulous bathroom, offering both walk-in shower and larger than average bath. We enjoyed a lovely view over the golf course which my partner was desparate to try out!), where I also spotted a number of cute little bunnies bouncing around! (all adds to the overall experience!!)
We had a 3-course dinner, chosen from the Market menu, which was excellent. You can also order from the extensive al a carte menu, which I will definitely try out next time! I had the mackerel with jerk (yes, jerk!) served with a mango salsa. It was tremendous. I savoured every last mouthful.
I followed it with the trout with polenta cake and samphire with a side of asparagus, which again was just amazing! In fact, the asparagus alone, was probably the best I’ve ever had. You’ll know what I mean when you try it!
I then followed this with a very yummy meringue with fresh strawberries.
All was accompanied by a rather exquisite bottle of Chenin Blanc.
My only slight discontentment was with the Restaurant service staff, who seemed to need to be reminded of requests. The complimentary bread and olives though, were delicious and very well received!
The Spa at Donnington was also excellent. We both enjoyed a hot stone massage, which really was amazing. I have had many different types of massage, and this was absolutely one of my favourites! My Beauty Therapist, Emma, was excellent; skilled and attentive. I highly recommend both the massage, and the therapist, for what felt like a little slice of heaven. I didn’t want to leave the massage bed! I still feel great from it.
The wet area and Gym were both of a high standard. The pool was beautiful; larger than the average Hotel pool. The sauna, steam and jacuzzi were also of an excellent standard and a very good size. They also had an “Aroma” room, which did not seem to be working on my visit. The pool was either an Ozone pool, or had very low chlorine levels, so was just a pleasure to swim in. Incredibly refreshing and calming.
Breakfast in the morning was also great. I started with fresh fruit and then had a full vegetarian English! My partner had the bacon and black pudding, which he said was lovely. The service staff were happy to provide me with soya milk upon request (there’s always one isn’t there!!)
Although we didnt order from it, the room service menu looked fab. There was a huge choice and was reasonably priced. It catered well for non-meat eaters too.
Also worth mentioning is that the Hotel is very child friendly with some resonable restrictions on the pool.
Overall, we had the most enjoyable stay at Donnington Valley and will definitely be returning in the very near future, without a shadow of a doubt!
Keep up the great work Donnington, and we look forward to staying with you again soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by glorious hills and stunning parkland, Donnington Valley Hotel and Spa is a natural blend of charm and elegance with uncompromising quality and countryside views. Home to 111 bedrooms, Donnington Valley is a privately owned 4-star country hotel in the heart of Berkshire with a state of the art spa and 18 hole golf course. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, LateRooms, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Donnington Valley Newbury
- Donnington Valley Hotel Newbury
- Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa Newbury, Berkshire