“Fabulous! Will definitely be going back to Donnington Valley!”

Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 28 May 2011

We stayed last night, for the first time, at Donnington Valley, and highly recommend it!
The Hotel has a classic chic decor, which is warm, inviting, and elegant.
I fell in love with it from the moment I walked through the door, greeted by a cheerful and welcoming receptionist.

We stayed in an Executive room, which was incredibly spacious and had a beautifully comfy (and massive) bed, and fabulous bathroom, offering both walk-in shower and larger than average bath. We enjoyed a lovely view over the golf course which my partner was desparate to try out!), where I also spotted a number of cute little bunnies bouncing around! (all adds to the overall experience!!)

We had a 3-course dinner, chosen from the Market menu, which was excellent. You can also order from the extensive al a carte menu, which I will definitely try out next time! I had the mackerel with jerk (yes, jerk!) served with a mango salsa. It was tremendous. I savoured every last mouthful.
I followed it with the trout with polenta cake and samphire with a side of asparagus, which again was just amazing! In fact, the asparagus alone, was probably the best I’ve ever had. You’ll know what I mean when you try it!
I then followed this with a very yummy meringue with fresh strawberries.
All was accompanied by a rather exquisite bottle of Chenin Blanc.
My only slight discontentment was with the Restaurant service staff, who seemed to need to be reminded of requests. The complimentary bread and olives though, were delicious and very well received!

The Spa at Donnington was also excellent. We both enjoyed a hot stone massage, which really was amazing. I have had many different types of massage, and this was absolutely one of my favourites! My Beauty Therapist, Emma, was excellent; skilled and attentive. I highly recommend both the massage, and the therapist, for what felt like a little slice of heaven. I didn’t want to leave the massage bed! I still feel great from it.

The wet area and Gym were both of a high standard. The pool was beautiful; larger than the average Hotel pool. The sauna, steam and jacuzzi were also of an excellent standard and a very good size. They also had an “Aroma” room, which did not seem to be working on my visit. The pool was either an Ozone pool, or had very low chlorine levels, so was just a pleasure to swim in. Incredibly refreshing and calming.

Breakfast in the morning was also great. I started with fresh fruit and then had a full vegetarian English! My partner had the bacon and black pudding, which he said was lovely. The service staff were happy to provide me with soya milk upon request (there’s always one isn’t there!!)

Although we didnt order from it, the room service menu looked fab. There was a huge choice and was reasonably priced. It catered well for non-meat eaters too.

Also worth mentioning is that the Hotel is very child friendly with some resonable restrictions on the pool.

Overall, we had the most enjoyable stay at Donnington Valley and will definitely be returning in the very near future, without a shadow of a doubt!
Keep up the great work Donnington, and we look forward to staying with you again soon!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa

Reviewed 28 May 2011

We were staying for 4 days as a type of shortened local honeymoon, with a round of golf everyday. This hotel seems to be mainly occupied by corporates during the week and the reception staff can't discern between the 2 types of guests. The frst room we were offered was next to the syndicate rooms and the reception, it constantly had groups of people standing round the outside. As business travellers we knew from the number (102) it would be close to the reception but despite questioning we were told it was a good room. A quick trip - of less that 50 ft and I came abck and said we wouldn't take the room. We were tehn offered a room down a side corridor which was quieter and more suitable. Why couldn't that have happened straight away?
It didn't seem to be a 4 star hotel with regards to the accommodatin - rooms are quite small with poor natural light, poor cleaning standards and we had to ask for dressing gown and slippers.
On the plus side the wine list is amazing and we enjoyed the evening meals which were lovely. At breakfast the second day Roger (the guest manager)asked how w e were getting on, we told him about the booking in expereince and we were given a bowl of fruit in the room and a glass of champagne with our next evening meal. He really saved it for us. He was also the only one who seemed to find an alternative to butter at breakfast - the day before we were told there was no flora or equivalent - and my other half has a dairy intolerance.
So all in all, ok, good evening meals and thank goodness for Roger who I hope will teach the staff how to treat their non corporate guests better.

Room Tip: not ground floor
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Excellent stay here nice sized rooms, good food, service was reasonable. Only real moan would be restricted pool times for children you get 1.5 hr slot in the morning and 1.5 hr slot in the evening. It's a shame as we chose this hotel because of having a pool and it's location to legoland

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Stayed here for an overnight spa break (booked with Spabreaks.com - couldn't fault the company) I have been to this hotel before and loved it, so just had to go back!
Absolutely fantastic once again - could not fault anything!
Food - Amazing
Rooms - Comfortable, clean - brilliant shower
Spa - Lovely pool with plenty of seating area and the best spa treatment EVER!!

Love this place and can't wait to return again!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Stayed for just one night on our way to see our son in Poole. We were going to stay at Premier Inn but for just £20 more having seen the good reviews, decided to give the Donnington Valley a try. It was very well worth it. The room was lovely, much nicer than the bland rooms of the motel type accommodation. We ate in the restaurant which had excellent service. The food was good but not exceptional for the price. Breakfast was good and plentiful. Didn't use the spa as we didn't have time, but are considering a return trip as we enjoyed it so much.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2011

Had a seriously good two nights here. The included treatments were so effective that I was too relaxed to arrange anything else apart from magazine reading! Dinner was also included and the market menu is good value, though perhaps a little more choice would have enhanced it. Breakfast also of good quality and there was plenty of variety and good service.

The hotel was very busy over the weekend but the service and peaceful atmosphere remained. Looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Perfect service, perfect room, perfect food,perfect pool and gym and perfect treatments from lovely staff. Only trouble was getting radio to work on the TV but who needs it anyway!
Already planning to go back

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family