“Nice ambience, value for money, will be back”

Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Pune, India
“Nice ambience, value for money, will be back”
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Donnington Valley has got a very nice ambience. Outside view from the hotel room is lovely. Rooms also are very nice. Staff are cooperative. I loved the variety of options available in the brreakfast. Overall a place worth visitng.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
DVH-GM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 30 June 2011
Dear sushilkt

Many thanks for your review, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our ambience and our breakfast in the Winepress restaurant; Mark our breakfast chef and all of the team were over the moon with your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and do drop me a line at anthonycox@donningtonvalley.co.uk when you next need to be in Newbury.

Very best wishes,

Anthony

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We stayed for a romantic weekend for the second time and we loved the place again. We had an executive double on the first floor overlooking the golf course. Big clean room, yummy complementary biscuits, tea and coffee etc. The milk in the room fridge was off which was annoying but we asked reception for more and they brought it up very quickly, with extra biscuits and lots of apologies.

The rooms are not extraordinary but they are very nice. Well coordinated textiles, heavy curtains, big bed, big mirror, separate bath and shower, speakers in the bathroom so you can play music or listen to tv in the bath, DVD player which obviously also plays CDs, big full length window with sliding doors, coffee table and sofa.

We used the bacchanalian feast deal - 2 nights dinner, bed and breafast, wines to match the courses on one night, and 6 bottles of wine to take home.

The breakfast buffet is great. Wide selection of cooked breakfast as well as lots of fruit, yoghurt, cereals, pastries, cakes, cheese and meats and smoked salmon. You can also order kippers and some other bits and pieces from the kitchen if you fancy.

Dinner was yummy both nights though our steak was a little over done on first night.

My only gripes were: I felt I had to clean the bath before I used it, though I am a bit neurotic about this. And our lunch on the final day took forever to arrive. Otherwise, this place is great! Go!

• Stayed June 2011
Dear RuthRussell

It was a pleasure to welcome you back to Donnington Valley and I do hope you are enjoying the wines back at home as part of our Bacchanalian feast break.
A few minor faults to be addressed, that I very much appreciate you taking the time to feedback, but delighted to read about another enjoyable weekend with us.
We have some fabulous “red hot” offers on our website for the summer holiday period, the Sunny terraces surrounding the spa are a great place to relax when the weather is good of course!
Do drop me a line at anthonycox@donningtonvalley.co.uk so I may make all of the arrangements for you personally for a future visit I look forward to welcoming you back to Donnington soon.
With very best wishes,

Anthony
Paris, France
Reviewed 15 June 2011

The Donnington Valley has comfortable rooms. Just make sure you ask for one that is not on the ground floor. Otherwise, you could be facing the parking lot, as was the case with one of my initial stays. I stayed a few times at this hotel in 2010 as I had business in Newbury.

The front desk staff were generaly attentive but they were annoyed on a few occasions when I told them that the internet reception in my room was poor and they didn't offer to change my room. They did quickly realise that I was a returning business customer who required internet access and they ensured that I was booked into a room with good internet reception.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2011

We stayed last night, for the first time, at Donnington Valley, and highly recommend it!
The Hotel has a classic chic decor, which is warm, inviting, and elegant.
I fell in love with it from the moment I walked through the door, greeted by a cheerful and welcoming receptionist.

We stayed in an Executive room, which was incredibly spacious and had a beautifully comfy (and massive) bed, and fabulous bathroom, offering both walk-in shower and larger than average bath. We enjoyed a lovely view over the golf course which my partner was desparate to try out!), where I also spotted a number of cute little bunnies bouncing around! (all adds to the overall experience!!)

We had a 3-course dinner, chosen from the Market menu, which was excellent. You can also order from the extensive al a carte menu, which I will definitely try out next time! I had the mackerel with jerk (yes, jerk!) served with a mango salsa. It was tremendous. I savoured every last mouthful.
I followed it with the trout with polenta cake and samphire with a side of asparagus, which again was just amazing! In fact, the asparagus alone, was probably the best I’ve ever had. You’ll know what I mean when you try it!
I then followed this with a very yummy meringue with fresh strawberries.
All was accompanied by a rather exquisite bottle of Chenin Blanc.
My only slight discontentment was with the Restaurant service staff, who seemed to need to be reminded of requests. The complimentary bread and olives though, were delicious and very well received!

The Spa at Donnington was also excellent. We both enjoyed a hot stone massage, which really was amazing. I have had many different types of massage, and this was absolutely one of my favourites! My Beauty Therapist, Emma, was excellent; skilled and attentive. I highly recommend both the massage, and the therapist, for what felt like a little slice of heaven. I didn’t want to leave the massage bed! I still feel great from it.

The wet area and Gym were both of a high standard. The pool was beautiful; larger than the average Hotel pool. The sauna, steam and jacuzzi were also of an excellent standard and a very good size. They also had an “Aroma” room, which did not seem to be working on my visit. The pool was either an Ozone pool, or had very low chlorine levels, so was just a pleasure to swim in. Incredibly refreshing and calming.

Breakfast in the morning was also great. I started with fresh fruit and then had a full vegetarian English! My partner had the bacon and black pudding, which he said was lovely. The service staff were happy to provide me with soya milk upon request (there’s always one isn’t there!!)

Although we didnt order from it, the room service menu looked fab. There was a huge choice and was reasonably priced. It catered well for non-meat eaters too.

Also worth mentioning is that the Hotel is very child friendly with some resonable restrictions on the pool.

Overall, we had the most enjoyable stay at Donnington Valley and will definitely be returning in the very near future, without a shadow of a doubt!
Keep up the great work Donnington, and we look forward to staying with you again soon!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2011

We were staying for 4 days as a type of shortened local honeymoon, with a round of golf everyday. This hotel seems to be mainly occupied by corporates during the week and the reception staff can't discern between the 2 types of guests. The frst room we were offered was next to the syndicate rooms and the reception, it constantly had groups of people standing round the outside. As business travellers we knew from the number (102) it would be close to the reception but despite questioning we were told it was a good room. A quick trip - of less that 50 ft and I came abck and said we wouldn't take the room. We were tehn offered a room down a side corridor which was quieter and more suitable. Why couldn't that have happened straight away?
It didn't seem to be a 4 star hotel with regards to the accommodatin - rooms are quite small with poor natural light, poor cleaning standards and we had to ask for dressing gown and slippers.
On the plus side the wine list is amazing and we enjoyed the evening meals which were lovely. At breakfast the second day Roger (the guest manager)asked how w e were getting on, we told him about the booking in expereince and we were given a bowl of fruit in the room and a glass of champagne with our next evening meal. He really saved it for us. He was also the only one who seemed to find an alternative to butter at breakfast - the day before we were told there was no flora or equivalent - and my other half has a dairy intolerance.
So all in all, ok, good evening meals and thank goodness for Roger who I hope will teach the staff how to treat their non corporate guests better.

Room Tip: not ground floor