“if its relaxation you are after, this isn't the hotel for you...”

Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Surrey
“if its relaxation you are after, this isn't the hotel for you...”
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Just arrived back from a trip to Donnington Hotel and Spa. We got a deal through Groupon for myself and 3 others to attend. Whilst we had a lovely time, it has to be said that some of the staff at this hotel could be described as a little vacant, offering very little or no help - particularly in the spa area. The spa treatments are very overpriced. That said, we all had a pedicure which was of very good quality but this was the only treatment we had due to the cost. The pool had young children in it screaming which I can't say was overly relaxing and the pool area was like a sauna to sit in which was virtually unbearable. We ate in the restaurant for lunch which again, whilst I can't complain about the food, it was very pricey. Overall, if its relaxation you are after, this isn't the hotel for you.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank K8erin
DVH-GM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Dear K8erin,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was pleased to read you had a lovely time but sorry to learn that you felt our team unhelpful, this is certainly not the norm and I apologise that you felt this was so.
To help fellow TA users I thought I would clarify our children’s policy for use of our swimming pool. We operate two sessions per day for children staying in the hotel between 10am and 12 noon and 3pm and 5pm. At all other times the pool is for adults use. We feel that this strikes a fair balance for all of our guests to enjoy the facilities. Our spa tariff is also downloadable from our website and includes our full range of treatment experiences available from £34 up to £90 depending on treatment time of course.
Thank you once again for your feedback E8rin. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Donnington Valley in the future.

Anthony

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Polish first
Berkshire
Reviewed 4 July 2011

My elderley uncle stayed at the hotel whilst on family business in the area. He is used to staying in some of the best hotels in the world and was over the moon with his stay at DV.
The staff were all so helpful and friendly. Breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear JohnBerkshire,

Thank you very much for your review. It was a pleasure to play host to your uncle during his time visiting the area. Do drop me a line when he is planning his next visit.
Surrey
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Just returned from a spa break with 5 girlfriends at the Donnington. We were there to celebrate birthdays, retirement and change of jobs. The rooms were very good, I was on the ground floor in a very large double room, where you had sofa, chairs, two beds and still room for more.
We spend two days in the spa, our package included a detox wrap and facial, lunch with a drink, dinner, full english breakfast and even a smoothy on arrival, all for £170 an absolute bargin. The spa and gym facilities were fantastic and the spa staff were wonderful, making our stay very relaxing indeed.
Dinner and breakfast was of very good quality.
Altogether a wonderful stay. Highly recommended and we will be returning in the future.

Room Tip: Try requesting ground floor, these rooms are big
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Debs-in-Surrey
DVH-GM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
Dear Debs- In-Surrey.

Wow! thank you so much for such a wonderful review. Delighted you enjoyed our spa experience to the full and I look forward to welcoming you back to Donnington Valley very soon. Check out our website for our "red hot" summer spa break offers and do drop me a line when you have a return visit in mind at anthonycox@donningtonvalley.co.uk so I may make all of the arrangements for you personally.

Thanks again Debs,

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Our Daughter's wedding was held at this hotel on Saturday June 18th 2011. Beth Willis and the staff at Donnington Valley are absolutely brilliant in both the lead up and the actual wedding day. We have had nothing but positive comments about the whole day from all those who attende. We cannot thank Beth and the staff enough and would not hestitate in recommending this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
DVH-GM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 30 June 2011
Dear DavidR046

Thank you so much for your review. It was a pleasure to host this most special of events for your family. Beth is a brilliant wedding planner and I know she enjoys the lead up to the big day as much as the wedding party, and that shines through in her dedicated help and advice. For that effort to be recognised in this way means a lot so thank you on behalf of Beth and all of the team here at Donnington.

Thanks again.

Best wishes,

Pune, India
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Donnington Valley has got a very nice ambience. Outside view from the hotel room is lovely. Rooms also are very nice. Staff are cooperative. I loved the variety of options available in the brreakfast. Overall a place worth visitng.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Dear sushilkt

Many thanks for your review, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our ambience and our breakfast in the Winepress restaurant; Mark our breakfast chef and all of the team were over the moon with your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and do drop me a line at anthonycox@donningtonvalley.co.uk when you next need to be in Newbury.

London
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We stayed for a romantic weekend for the second time and we loved the place again. We had an executive double on the first floor overlooking the golf course. Big clean room, yummy complementary biscuits, tea and coffee etc. The milk in the room fridge was off which was annoying but we asked reception for more and they brought it up very quickly, with extra biscuits and lots of apologies.

The rooms are not extraordinary but they are very nice. Well coordinated textiles, heavy curtains, big bed, big mirror, separate bath and shower, speakers in the bathroom so you can play music or listen to tv in the bath, DVD player which obviously also plays CDs, big full length window with sliding doors, coffee table and sofa.

We used the bacchanalian feast deal - 2 nights dinner, bed and breafast, wines to match the courses on one night, and 6 bottles of wine to take home.

The breakfast buffet is great. Wide selection of cooked breakfast as well as lots of fruit, yoghurt, cereals, pastries, cakes, cheese and meats and smoked salmon. You can also order kippers and some other bits and pieces from the kitchen if you fancy.

Dinner was yummy both nights though our steak was a little over done on first night.

My only gripes were: I felt I had to clean the bath before I used it, though I am a bit neurotic about this. And our lunch on the final day took forever to arrive. Otherwise, this place is great! Go!

• Stayed June 2011
Dear RuthRussell

It was a pleasure to welcome you back to Donnington Valley and I do hope you are enjoying the wines back at home as part of our Bacchanalian feast break.
A few minor faults to be addressed, that I very much appreciate you taking the time to feedback, but delighted to read about another enjoyable weekend with us.
We have some fabulous “red hot” offers on our website for the summer holiday period, the Sunny terraces surrounding the spa are a great place to relax when the weather is good of course!
Do drop me a line at anthonycox@donningtonvalley.co.uk so I may make all of the arrangements for you personally for a future visit I look forward to welcoming you back to Donnington soon.
With very best wishes,

Paris, France
Reviewed 15 June 2011

The Donnington Valley has comfortable rooms. Just make sure you ask for one that is not on the ground floor. Otherwise, you could be facing the parking lot, as was the case with one of my initial stays. I stayed a few times at this hotel in 2010 as I had business in Newbury.

The front desk staff were generaly attentive but they were annoyed on a few occasions when I told them that the internet reception in my room was poor and they didn't offer to change my room. They did quickly realise that I was a returning business customer who required internet access and they ensured that I was booked into a room with good internet reception.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business