“Nice Space & Helpful Staff”

Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I've stayed here 3 times now, and each time was better.
The staff are always helpful and courteous, to the extent that I feel like I've got a 'hotel inspector' badge on, they go to so much trouble!
The communal areas are lovely, and although I haven't used the leisure facilities, they look really nice.
My latest stay was the best as I had an absolutely beautiful and spacious room, although they are always very nice. This one was top floor and in a corner so had a dual aspect and sloping ceilings, plus gorgeous decor.
I like the fact that you get an iron & board in your room, and the complementary water and biscuits are a nice touch.
The only bad points are that you don't get a fridge unless you have the more expensive room (although they happily provide an ice bucket), and the wi-fi is absolutely hopeless, but if you ask for a cable you can plug into the internet which improves things slightly. Oh, and there is a £5 tray charge if you want room service, which is a little steep, but the food is quite good if you can get over the cost!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank CCweary
DVH-GM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2011

Dear CCWeary

Thank you very much for posting a review following your last visit. Delighted that you enjoyed your time with us this summer. I look forward to welcoming you on stay number 4 – please do get in touch at anthonycox@donningtonvalley.co.uk so I may make the arrangements for you personally.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

I decided to stay at the Donnington Valley Hotel because I deserved a little break and wanted to visit some old friends from the area. I have been in the hospitality business myself for quite a long time, and therefore have a lot of experience with different hotels. I truely can say, that this hotel aims for higher standards than just the four stars they have got!

Already while entering the building, I had this 'wow' feeling. Professional staff around who, what I think is the most important, are really caring about the experience of the guest. They asked about my journey and whether someone needed to bring my luggage up.

The hotel room was as expected, really clean, fresh and spacious. I requested a twin room, because I stayed over with a friend, and this didn't seem to be a problem. At the desk I upgraded to an Executive Room for just an extra of I believe it was 25 pounds. We now got free bath robes, slippers and a minibar. For me personally worth the little extra.

The bar area is really well decorated and after a little conversation with the barman I found out it has just been done recently.

The Spa area was included in our rate. What I really liked is that it is accessible from the hotel its corridors. No need to leave the hotel. They issue towels and a keycard to lock your belongings before entering the spa. I had an overall positive experience, it was clean and really well maintained.
The hotel's estate is massive, I personally did not have time to go for around of golf, but I have been informed it is all possible.

My stay has been really enjoyable and would recommend it to all who are looking for a relaxing spa break. This hotel really does make sure it will be a relaxing break without any hassle or problems.

2  Thank Roy V

Dear Roy V
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and a photo of your classic twin room following your stay with us in August. I was so pleased to read your comments and share them with the team. When next visiting your friends in Newbury do let me know so I may offer you our best available rate.
Thanks again Roy V

Reviewed 23 August 2011

This is a beautiful, modern hotel in a landscaped setting with golf course, spa and all that stuff. Rooms are big with large work-desk and conveniently-placed sockets for laptops, etc., air conditioning, large bathroom, everything spotless. In deference to the creaking joints I asked for a ground-floor room - they have several, laid out to suit wheelchair users as well, and I got the one closest to reception.

There's a special rate for dinner, bed and breakfast (from about £150, which is very good value for money for a hotel at this level, especially in the home counties - room only is £99) and the restaurant is excellent, with a mind-boggling wine list (including a Sauvignon Blanc from Maharashtra, India, which was astonishingly good). The staff are very enthusiastic and service is swift and attentive.

Only negative bits: the television didn't work (I could have called reception to have it fixed but didn't) and they charge £15 a day for wifi, which is a bit of a rip-off. Plainly you can't run a decent-sized hotel without wifi, so it's paid-for anyway, and charging for it is just pure profit. Why don't hotels just stick it on the room rate if they must, and let them compete with each other on that basis? Maybe we should get together and start a campaign for free wifi in hotels.

Room Tip: Creaky joints? Ask for room 102
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Quinbus

Dear Quinbus
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us. Delighted you enjoyed the Sula Sauvignon Blanc. Chris takes a great deal of time and care selecting for his list and there is always something new/different featured, he is currently listing a couple from Turkey an 09 Fume Blanc and a 2010 Sauvignon Blanc from Sevilen.
Comments duly noted regarding Wi-Fi access we will be reviewing this over the coming months.
Do let me know when next in the area so I may offer our best available rate.

Reviewed 16 August 2011

I would not recommend Donnington for a stand alone spa day experience (we used only the spa facilities for the day, not the hotel). Donnington offers "Spa Day" packages and the price is on par with other real day spas (i.e. expensive), but what you really get here are some treatment rooms connected via a lift to typical hotel pool/gym/sauna facilities. Those facilities are shared with hotel guests. The Day Spa experience is managed by the pool staff - which obviously aren't use to catering to Day Spa guests, the pool area was overcrowded, and the dining experience is anything but spa like.

The admin staff were all very young and inexperienced, resulting in confusion on the day. Separately, although we booked as group and arranged treatments times accordingly, these were randomly changed a few times the day before by the Spa - but rearranged times weren't done with our group in mind (we advised the Spa that two guests were breastfeeding and one was pregnant.) We were left having to sort out and swap treatments amongst ourselves.

Lunch, included in the Spa Day package, is a choice of one of three cold "bento' boxes. These are served in a motorway style "dining area" that sits adjacent to the Spa reception desk (all hard surfaces, and very much in the open - not great when you're sitting in Spa toweling). The area is open to all hotel guests. When we where there a group of guys were watching football on a big screen TV in the corner. There is a 'sun terrace' behind the pool, which we were lucky to be able to use as it had been raining earlier in the day. However we had to chase down staff to unlock the doors to this area and then they just left it to us to wipe down the wet tables and chairs. Guests are also allowed to smoke on this terrace which is not ideal while we were eating - or for pregnant & breastfeeding mums. The views from the pool is of the hotel car park.

Not what you expect on a 'relaxing spa day' in a "4 star hotel". As one of two bridesmaids for our friend's upcoming wedding I thought it would be nice to arrange a spa day out in advance of her big day to give her a chance to chill out and catch up with friends (there were 7 of us all in all). But although the beauty treatments themselves were very nice there wasn't a chance to chill out by the pool. As mentioned this area is open to hotel guests - including children - and bizarrely has no where near enough lounge chairs. We had to share 3 lounge chairs amongst the seven of us. Other pool guests were obviously struggling to find any where to sit but staff were oblivious or unconcerned (or both).

The treatment suite is on a separate floor to the pool/gym facilities and does offer a 'relaxation room' that is quite restful. However this isn't a suitable place to chat with friends or of course doesn't allow food to be eaten there.

Although we all enjoyed the individual treatments, the whole day was definitely not a Spa Day experience. You are charged quite a premium for the Spa Day so all in all I'd say it's not good value for money.

On a separate note - I am pregnant and booked the Mama-Licious package. But they don't offer special massage tables like some places. Also I found the poolside chairs and loungers very uncomfortable (I was 6 months pregnant) and due to their open design, was unable to put a rolled up towel to support my back. I of course couldn't use the hot tube or sauna so not sure why this package is one of the most expensive of the Day Spa packages.

2  Thank lydia987
Reviewed 15 August 2011

stayed with a group of 24 ladies for golf break. no-one told us until we arrived that you either have to drive to the clubhouse/pro shop/1st tee. whilst the 15mins walk was fine it would have helped if the hotel had a map/proper directions.
some of our goup were given rooms with connecting doors- but not to the rest of the group- and had to ask to move. several of us had rooms overlooking car park- thats fine, but also overlloked front door/reception- where all the smokers went, and as per previous comments there was a weekend long wedding party drinking/smoking/shouting/fighting 24 hours a day- so very little sleep!!!! when we checked out we w ere asked was our stay okay, we sadi no- they said oh dear!!!!! no apology or anything. as per previous comments the wedding party should have the rooms near the bar and everyone else should be near the spa. Hot food at breakfast was cold, and serving stingy- i am veggis, so had 1 sppon beans, 1 sppon egg, 1 spoon mushrooms, asked for more and got one mushroom! no a 4 star hotel ( spa was lovely)

Room Tip: get one near the spa!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
DVH-GM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2011

Dear daisycat95
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us and I sincerely apologise that you were disturbed by other guests during your stay with us. It was indeed a particularly lively weekend with a number of wedding celebrations taking place over the weekend and Newbury Races Ladies day also in full swing, so many guests were in high spirits. Whist this was the case we had received no reports of “fighting” over the weekend and if this were to occur naturally we as a team would take the relevant steps.
To help fellow TA users, following guests feedback we have recently purchased an 8 seater transport buggy to transfer between the hotel and the golf course for a small fee, that can be fully redeemed at the spike bar and we are finding this new service very popular. I was pleased to note that you rated cleanliness very highly and I do hope that you will give us another try for a future stay. Please do contact me directly if this were to be the case as I would be delighted to make the arrangements for you personally.

Reviewed 9 August 2011

We arrived early and check in was not untill 15.00pm My husband went off to play golf and twice I went in to see if my room was avaliable but I was not allocated a room untill right on the dot of 15.00pm When we were leaving they were allready cleaning rooms at 8.30am so im sure there must be rooms ready if you arrive early.The evening meal and breakfast were first class.The hotel is in a lovely location.

Room Tip: Dont arrive early.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear martingirl129
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. We do endeavour to offer an earlier check in where we can, however room type allocation and departure time on peak days does mean this is sometimes not possible. We do offer luggage storage for those who do arrive early to make use of our facilities.
I was delighted to read you found dinner and breakfast first class and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the non too distant future. Please do contact me directly so I may be able to offer you an early check in if possible. Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

I was lucky to have my wedding at the hotel in June. From the booking the hotel the service we received was excellent. Beth the wedding manager helped ensure I was kept up to date and any queries I had were answered. On the actually day the whole team worked amazingly and ensured the whole day worked well and no issues arised. The level of detail was outstanding, we had a lot of family stay as they had travelled from afar and all commented on how great the venue was in particular the food. I can't thank the whole team enough for making it such a great day to remember.

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the hotel to anyone and look forward to returning to the hotel soon.

• Stayed: June 2011

Dear HayleyLGreen
Thank you very much for posting a review following your wedding reception held with us here at Donnington in June. Beth is indeed a wedding planner par excellence! And her enthusiasm really shines through with every event we plan here at Donnington.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Donnington Valley very soon, so do please contact Beth or I so we can make any arrangements for a future visit.