“3rd Visit, 3rd Great Experience”

Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Having held my wife & I's wedding at Donnington Valley Hotel back in 2010, we have continued to return every Anniversary, so this visit was our 3rd time & it was great....!

We started this years experience with Afternoon Tea.
Having experienced this elsewhere such as Claridge's & the Ritz's, the sandwiches, cakes & tea was up there with the best. Unlike the others & to our delight, we was even given a box to take away the cakes we just couldn't fit in......
The Hotel Manager Sally also came over to wish us an enjoyable stay & wish us Happy Anniversary. What a lovely lady & a jesture my wife & I appreciated very much

As usual, our room was impeccably clean with a modern feel.
The ability to view DVD's supplied by Reception is a great idea & filled a gap in our afternoon.

We also took advantage of using the Spa facilities which was exptremely relaxing & a great opportunity to share a bottle of wine - bliss....

The evening soon came around - this part we had really been looking forward to.

We started with a drink in the bar which is beautifully set, allowing us relax within our own privacy. When it came to moving into the restaurant, I believe it was Vicky who asked if we was ready to move to the restaurant. Being halfway through our drinks, Vicky gave us more time which was very kind & appreciated.

The meal was enjoyable as always, occompanied by the intentive waiting staff.
As always, great advice on the extensive list of wines was available from the wine sommelier Chris - thank you Chris.

We relaxed after dinner & we was off to bed for a good nights sleep.

We enjoyed a beautiful hot breakfast & we really could of gone a lot bigger, as there was a lot of options available

So once again, a big hank you to the staff of Donnington Valley Hotel who provided my wife & I with another memorable occassion > roll on next year!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Dear NathanMary,
Such a lovely reveiw, thank you so much. It is always a pleasure to welcome you back to Donnington but just remember, it doesnt have to be for an occassion, we are here just for a break away from it all too!
I look forward to seeing you both again soon.
Sally Russell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,515)

Reviewed 24 April 2013

The restaurant has a very good, if limited, menu. The food is of a high quality as well. The hotel spa is clean and well presented, and the rooms are comfortable and well specified. There are plenty of thoughtful touches and attention to detail, and the beds are comfortable. The rooms would only be improved by doing away with the foam pillows

Dear Gentlemanthug,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review and I am delighted you enjoyed it so much. And for next time; just let us know you are coming and we can certainly put feather pillows in for you!

Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed at the Donnington Valley hotel this last weekend. On arrival we were welcomed by a good check-in, but when we arrived at the room, we discovered a broken light (not a big issue), a broken, and dangerous kettle, and no fridge, which was included in the room description. Having brought food to cater for a special diet, when the porter came to fix the light, I enquired after the firdge, and was told lots had broken recently, but that they could find us another room. We'd unpacked, so I asked if he could instead, find a fridge. None of this was particularly an issue to us, but the porters manner was what upset us. He very much made us feel that we were in the wrong and making a fuss, when we simply expected the room to be as it should. He also stank of smoke, to the extent that it was hard to get the room back to normal. He made no apology for the missing/broken equipment and made us feel a nuisance.

The room was nice, the bathroom better than average, the set up/ layout is a little unusual, with the tv positioned impossibly for the bed. The spa was excellent, helpful staff, great changing rooms.

There was a powercut on the first night, but didn't affect us much as the hotel's on 2 circuits and we weren't on the faulty one.

On the 2nd night we ordered food at the bar as the restaurant was expensive and fully booked. The menu was reasonably priced, but now cheap, as you'd expect. However my husbands order came without chips, which took 15 mins to rectify by which time the rest of the food was cold, and my soup came without bread, which when I pointed out I was told was an extra, when I showed the waitress the menu (it was included) she was surprised, but did get it.

The breakfast was generally good, but on the 2nd morning the staff didn't offer us the menu, and when I requested waffles off it, was told initially that it wasn't an option, when I know it was, grudgingly the waiter looked, and realised his error, again no apology. Clearly the breakfast was a busy one, and our smoking porter had been called in as waiter, apart from the smell of smoke putting us off breakfast, he we clearly unhappy when several of the tables he was bringing toast to, already had been served.

We probably would go back, as the facilities were good, but would hope to have better service, and feel that the price we paid, though secret escapes, was plenty with the full room price being overpriced.

1  Thank peacel0vers
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2013

Dear peacel0vers,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you felt my staff let us down, as you will see from other reviews here on TA, the team here at Donnington are usually our strongest asset and please rest assured that personal hygiene has certainly been addressed with the gentleman in question.

I do hope you decide to return to Donnington as you suggested you might and I am sure you will experience what I know my team normally do so well; proffessional, attentive and friendly service.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

I had booked a massage went to change in the spa and asked for a robe and was told the charge was £5 for half an hour,the reception was across the golf course so you need a buggy £4 each but its only one way because they have no lights, so you have to get a taxi back! on leaving I asked if we could keep the room for another half hour,yes but there will be a charge ,and on paying the bill they tried to charge a different rate that had been agreed these hotel owners should go to the US and find out about service and how to get your customers to return ,my wife wanted to go back for a SPA trip no chance!

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank newfriendsVerwood

Dear newfriendsVerwood,

Thank you for your feedback and I am very sorry that you feel that we are trying to charge for extras everywhere. There would appear to be some miscommunication regarding these issues and I am very sorry if the wrong information was given to you by my staff. Currently our classic bedrooms do not included robes but these are available to hire for the duration of your stay at £3.00 per person. We do offer a buggy service to the golf club which is charged at £4.00 per person and also includes a drink at our club house, unfortunately the buggy does not have lights so is unable to run when it gets dark; for those guests who are returning from golf after dark we offer this service at just £2.00 one way. Finally it is normal hotel procedure to charge for late check outs however we do encourage our reception team to be as flexible as possible with this especially when only for a small request, I apologise if they were a little rigid in sticking with policy and did not show our normal flexibility.

I do hope you decide to try us again and if you do then please do contact me directly.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

We stayed at the Donnington Valley a few weekends ago on an overnight stay which included Sunday lunch. The hotel is lovely and clean and has a warm atmosphere. The stay was good value for money and Sunday lunch was very good. The only thing that let the stay down was the breakfast. Buffet style cooked breakfast which was dripping in fat and pretty tasteless, with only the choice of a fried egg. Wish I had chosen a made to order choice off the menu!

Dear Gemma B,

Thank you for taking the time to review Donnington Valley and I am delighted that overall you had an enjoyable break with us. I appreciate your feedback on breakfast and am happy to say that we have recently made a few tweaks to the offerings so I do hope it will be 5 out of 5 on your next visit!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 April 2013

I attended a training course here yesterday which had a nice airy room with views of the golf course, refreshments were frequent, prompt and very efficient.

We had a buffet lunch on the mezzanine floor above the bar, this was delicious selection of sandwiches and hot savoury pastries and small cheese cakes for those that had the room and wanted to risk falling asleep in the afternoon.

We didn't finish our day until 7pm!! a long day and we were served some alcoholic refreshment to finish off the day.

We had an evening meal in the restaurant which was a set menu and again it was super and the team serving the table couldn't do enough for us so all round a great day.

The room was comfortable and clean but if picky it was a little to warm for my liking even with the air con on.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Ticker1962,

Thanks for taking the time to post your super review, we really do aim to offer a relaxing and enjoyable environment for those having to work whilst with us.

I hope next time you visit you will be have a little more time to enjoy all of the facilites.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2013

Having never been to this hotel before very surprised at the quality of the rooms and the facilities.
We had a bedroom on the ground floor, Good size,very clean and a comfortable bed. The bathroom had bath with seperate shower.
The men played golf on the ajoining course whilst the women spent most of the time in spa.
Good wine list but a little disapointed with sirloin steak on the small side, chese board.good.
Staff were all very helpful
We will all certainly be back again

Room Tip: Had a room on the ground floor facing the golf course. You actually cant see the course from the gou...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Treborsille,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice review and I am pleased to hear that rooms, spa and golf facilities were enjoyed and that you will be back!

Please do feel free to contact me directly when you are next looking at planning a visit.