I stayed here twice in Executive Rooms and both stays were amazing! I had a bit of a problem on the second with the cooling system in the room not working, but after reporting it quite a bit, I got changed to a room with an even nicer view! :)
Reception: reception staff are tremendously friendly and hotel staff in general are friendly, wear warm smiles and make an effort at a pleasant interaction with their guests while walking past in hallways etc, by a simple "hello" or "good morning". The welcome area outside and entrance look a bit dainted but you can ignore that detail.
Building: the building is okay on the exterior -- part of it looks very country-side-like and the other half looks a bit more modern. You will also notice this while you walk along the hallway inside the hotels -- even the bedroom doors change from one half of the building to another. But minor matter. The gardens are well maintained and the building is kept clean.
Room: I stayed in an Executive Room on both stays and got to sleep in a normal room while the cooling system was being fixed. )The normal room is okay but the Executive room is way more comfortable and luxurious.) The bathrooms in the Executive Rooms are amazing with the showers, oversized mirrors and large bathtub (separate from showers). The bed offered a very comfortable sleep and the rooms were well-maintained and did not show any sign of wear/tear.
Gym/Spa: I visited the gym every day while there --- the facilities are top notch! It is not a tremendously huge gym but it contains lots of machines, weights and cables to help you get your normal workout routine done. The hotel also has a nice pool, sauna, spa hot tub, steam room, aromatherapy room, all of which were really well-positioned and nicely done. Lots of chairs around the pool to just lay back with wine or a beer or a smoothie and relax with a good book, or just take a little sleep.
Restaurant: while the food here is good, my only disappointment is that it can take a while for you to get served. I often found myself waiting long upon arrival at the restaurant for someone to come seat me. Sometimes while sitting, I also felt many times during the meal like I was forgotten as it took so long for waiters to come around to my table, unless I was with my group, in which case we had placed our individual meal orders before gong to the restaurant. The wines they had were good but the wine list is very extensive and can take some time to browse through, especially if you are a wine connoisseur!
Bottomline: I would definitely stay here again. A bit pricey, but the facilities are really lovely, the gym and spa are to die for, and I feel super relaxed whenever I stay here. I would run away here for a weekend for a bit of romance and relaxation. I haven't tried the golf course yet, but I've seen it and it's quite nice as well. I will be back in September.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by glorious hills and stunning parkland, Donnington Valley Hotel and Spa is a natural blend of charm and elegance with uncompromising quality and countryside views. Home to 111 bedrooms, Donnington Valley is a privately owned 4-star country hotel in the heart of Berkshire with a state of the art spa and 18 hole golf course. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Donnington Valley Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Donnington Valley Newbury
- Donnington Valley Hotel Newbury
- Donnington Valley Hotel And Spa Newbury, Berkshire