“Work...Spa...Relax! Excellent hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Newbury
London, United Kingdom
“Work...Spa...Relax! Excellent hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

I stayed here twice in Executive Rooms and both stays were amazing! I had a bit of a problem on the second with the cooling system in the room not working, but after reporting it quite a bit, I got changed to a room with an even nicer view! :)

Reception: reception staff are tremendously friendly and hotel staff in general are friendly, wear warm smiles and make an effort at a pleasant interaction with their guests while walking past in hallways etc, by a simple "hello" or "good morning". The welcome area outside and entrance look a bit dainted but you can ignore that detail.

Building: the building is okay on the exterior -- part of it looks very country-side-like and the other half looks a bit more modern. You will also notice this while you walk along the hallway inside the hotels -- even the bedroom doors change from one half of the building to another. But minor matter. The gardens are well maintained and the building is kept clean.

Room: I stayed in an Executive Room on both stays and got to sleep in a normal room while the cooling system was being fixed. )The normal room is okay but the Executive room is way more comfortable and luxurious.) The bathrooms in the Executive Rooms are amazing with the showers, oversized mirrors and large bathtub (separate from showers). The bed offered a very comfortable sleep and the rooms were well-maintained and did not show any sign of wear/tear.

Gym/Spa: I visited the gym every day while there --- the facilities are top notch! It is not a tremendously huge gym but it contains lots of machines, weights and cables to help you get your normal workout routine done. The hotel also has a nice pool, sauna, spa hot tub, steam room, aromatherapy room, all of which were really well-positioned and nicely done. Lots of chairs around the pool to just lay back with wine or a beer or a smoothie and relax with a good book, or just take a little sleep.

Restaurant: while the food here is good, my only disappointment is that it can take a while for you to get served. I often found myself waiting long upon arrival at the restaurant for someone to come seat me. Sometimes while sitting, I also felt many times during the meal like I was forgotten as it took so long for waiters to come around to my table, unless I was with my group, in which case we had placed our individual meal orders before gong to the restaurant. The wines they had were good but the wine list is very extensive and can take some time to browse through, especially if you are a wine connoisseur!

Bottomline: I would definitely stay here again. A bit pricey, but the facilities are really lovely, the gym and spa are to die for, and I feel super relaxed whenever I stay here. I would run away here for a weekend for a bit of romance and relaxation. I haven't tried the golf course yet, but I've seen it and it's quite nice as well. I will be back in September.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear James D,
Wow, what a super review and I am delighted to hear that you found time to enjoy our facilities whilst attending your course. If you ever do decide to run away for that little bit of rest and romance then let me know and I will be happy to help.
Look forward to seeing you in September!
Sally Russell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Polish first
Hitchin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We got married abroad but wanted a get together for our close family when we arrived back. We booked a deal for 20 people which included, afternoon tea, champagne and scones with use of the spa. Dinner and Breakfast, the price was reasonable.
Upon arrival we were given the menu for the evening meal as we had a large group this was acceptable. We wanted to pay for the whole groups room with any extras that they add onto the room to be settled by them on check out.
The receptionist would not allow us to do this and wanted us to pay on departure. I stated I was not prepared to wait for everyone to check out the following morning, not impressed.
Afternoon tea was frustrating as only one person serving 20 of us and things were turning up at different times.
We booked an executive room which was spotlessly clean like the rest of the hotel but it had 2 singles beds pushed together which is not what we would expect.
Before dinner I spoke with another receptionist who allowed me pay the whole bill for the rooms, can't see what the issue was??
Prior to dinner we met in the bar for drinks, there was only one person behind the bar and with a charity gala in another room the lady behind the bar could not cope with the amount of customers. She was working very hard but this was poor planning by the management, it took us 20 minutes to be served. At this stage we were not impressed at all!
We were shown to The Green Room, which was our private room for the evening. It was a lovely setting and Lawrence introduced himself to us as our host for the evening. The food was very good and we had an excellent evening, our view of the hotel started to change. Lawrence was outstanding, nothing was too much trouble for him. A consummate professional with a very good sense of humour. Everyone in our party, young and old had a great time and this was in part to Lawrence. The small touches he arranged like the writing on dessert plates etc were very well received. Can't speak highly enough of this likeable chap!!
The following morning we had breakfast and it was excellent!
Our party departed and we stayed for a further night, using the spa which I have to compliment on the high standard of cleanliness. We had a very relaxing time and breakfast on our day of departure was just as good. We were met at breakfast by a part time worker (apologies can't remember his name) but he was a true gent and ambassador for the hotel. I believe he is semi retired.
In summary we had a bad start but we were won over with the very good food a few of the members of staff made the stay for us and as long as we get a double bed next time we will certainly return.

Room Tip: Ensure you ahs for a double bed and not 2 singles pushed together
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear MichaelJones,
Thank you for your review following your celebrations with us and I am very sorry that you experienced some issues at the start of your stay; these have been passed on to the relevent teams. However I am super glad that Laurence and Roger (our sem retired gent) were able to win you back and you will now look at returning to us again, do let me know of any dates in mind and I will be delighted to assist.
Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

Stayed here for one night for birthday treat on Champagne Tea package which included Dinner and Breakfast. Great location near to M4 on old Oxford Road towards Newbury. We upgraded to and Executive room before arrival and it was definatley worth the extra money as the room was much larger and had views over the golf course. Dinner was exceptional with good choice on fixed menu (a small surcharge if you wanted to make some choices form a la carte menu). Buffet breakfast equally as good. All the staff were very friendly and helpful despite the fact they were rushed off their feet with a large wedding party going on. Dont be put off by the outside of the hotel looking a bit tired in places the inside and the rooms are all of very high standard and will be staying again when we can get away.

Room Tip: Go for an upgrade to at least Executive room, worth the cost
1 Thank moandmike
Dear moandmike,
Thank you so much for your lovely review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, our executive bedrooms are lovely and spacious and we think they are worth that little bit extra. Do let me know when you are next looking to visit and I would be delighted to assist.
derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Really easy to find just off the M4 and Newbury by pass but in the green with golf and a nice spa. Doesn't look much from the outside but nicely done inside. Golf is right nextdoor and a buggie can take you to the club house.Restaurant food good.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank martinphilip
Dear martinphilip,
Thank you for taking the time to review us following your stay and good news that you managed to enjoy both our golf course and the spa.
Now that you know where we are hopfully we will see you again soon!
Walsall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

Excellent 2 night stay which simply could not be faulted.... lovely room, great food, super facilities and very friendly and helpful staff who provide excellent customer service. All adds up to a very enjoyable and relaxing stay

Room Tip: Our room backed on to the golf course and offered every comfort
1 Thank 35PaulC35
Dear 35PaulC35,
"Could not be faulted" is a wonderful thing to hear so thank you very much. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope we are able to welcome you back in the non too distant future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

We booked a spare of the moment spa break at the hotel including over night stay, champagne cream tea, dinner and breakfast. This was through the hotels website and the cost was very reasonable. We absolutely loved the hotel, spa facilities were excellent and there was a lovely relaxed atmosphere in the hotel. The staff were attentive and polite. We left feeling very relaxed and ready for the week ahead. Can't wait to come back and we will be recommending to friends and family.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Beaniebag1
Dear Beaniebag1
A personal recommendation is always the best form of advertising so thank you so much for recommending us to friends and family and I am pleased to hear that you plan to return to us also. Please do contact me directly for your next visit and I will be delighted to assist.
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed at donnington valley for 1 night yesterday as two couples and had a fantastic time. Food, rooms, golf, spa and service was all brilliant! Highly recommend to anyone wanting a relaxing reasonably priced weekend away :) we will be back again very soon but next time we want a view from the room of the golf course rather than car park :)

Room Tip: Get one with a view of the golf course :)
1 Thank MarkParham
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear MarkParham,
Thank you for your lovely review following your stay with us and I am delighted you had such a good stay and enjoyed your celebrations. Next time you book, let us know which room you like and we will do our very best to accommodate!
Sally Russell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newbury
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
Hare and Hounds Hotel
Hare and Hounds Hotel
#1 of 16 in Newbury
Doubletree by Hilton Newbury North

Been to Donnington Valley Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!