“A two night golf break”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“A two night golf break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

This hotel is well worth a visit and is dead easy to find. The rooms are big and well appointed with expansive bathrooms including separate showers. Tea and coffee included with real milk in the fridge. I do have a minor criticism about the TV. Its placed opposite the sofa, which is fine, but impossible to view from the bed. The Spa got rave reviews from my wife. A splendid breakfast with lots of choice and special orders e.g smoked salmon and scrambled eggs at no extra cost. The staff are keen to help and the service in the restaurant is above average and very welcoming and friendly. The wine list is beyond with loads of choice and prices. If I were to be picky about the restaurant, we stayed two nights on a golf deal (great value by the way) and the table menu, called the Market menu was the same both nights, requiring a supplement of £6 per person to order the main from the full menu. Having said that, it didn't spoil anything and we will go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor near the Spa
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Roger D,
Thanks for reviewing us following your recent stay with us and delighted to hear a good time was had. Do contact me personally should you wish to visit us again and I will be happy to help.
Sally Russell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Polish first
Reading
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

Good room, good food, good spa facilities and lovely pool BUT despite lots of very polite smiling staff some of them didn't seem quite up to scratch for a 4 star hotel. When we checked in the guy at the desk forgot to take a preauthorisation swipe of our credit card. We went to the hotel bar in the afternoon but because of this lack of preauthorisation we couldn't put anything on the room bill. This wasn't such as issue because we could just pay but they wanted us to pay cash but the till didn't work so they couldn't give us any change until later. The girl at the bar didn't really seem to know how to deal with it. Then later at the restaurant the person who served our wine slopped quite a bit over the table when pouring and there wasn't any kind of apology or attempt to clean it up. When we had finished we needed to pay for the drinks (we had a hotel offer that included the 3 course dinner). Despite asking if we could do this nobody came with a bill so we just got up and went to the desk. Again lots of confusion because we didn't have a preauthorised card and when we tried to pay in cash their till wasn't working either so we didn't get any change, although we could have waited for someone to go to reception and get the couple of quid to be fair . Then when we checked out the next day they tried to charge us for the wine. I explained that we had paid cash and not been given a receipt because the till was not working and that seemed to be fine but they had no record of our payment anywhere. At breakfast we had virtually finished our cooked breakfast by the time the coffee and toast arrived despite asking for it again and a seeming Abu dance of staff. A good stay but these small things were a bit annoying because the staff just seems to be a bit confused buy how to deal with it all.

Dear Happy_Camper1976,
Thank you for your review and your time on the telephone with Roger to follow up. I do hope we are able to welcome you back in the near future and please do contact either myself or Roger who will be happy to assist.
Buckinghamshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

A one night stay to unwind after a stressful week in the office. All round good facilities and very helpful and friendly staff. Would definitely recommend the restaurant and its amazing wine list. The swimming pool and spa facilities are clean modern

Dear andyandkateg,
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us and glad to hear we helped with the de-stress, a long spa and a few glasses of wine is definately the ulitmate cure!
Hope to see you again soon.
Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

My other half very kindly booked me and my girlfriends in to Donnington Valley Hotel & Spa for a weekend. Extremely easy to find, 10 minutes off of the M4, jnc 13.

Hotel decorated nicely, maybe slightly dated, but suited the hotel.

Rooms spacious and clean, but again slightly dated (in my opinion). Bathrooms extremely spacious and very very clean with large bath, seperate shower, 2 sinks and toilet.

We had 3 treatments each in the spa which were lovely and relaxing. Highly recommend the AquaSun Flotation Tank and Full Body Aromatherapy. Spa facilities are lovely, large swimming pool and Jacuzzi, with Sauna, Steam, etc.

We ate dinner in the restaurant which was delicious. We also had a few drinks in the bar after dinner which is where my experience at the hotel was unfortunately dimmed. We only ordered glasses of coke and were asked for our ID card (apparently you are supposed to take this card with you as ID when buying within the hotel and putting on a room tab). We did not have our ID card on us (we had not been asked for it in the Spa or Restaurant) and were immediately felt embarrassed as to how the bar man made us feel. Making us wait for 5-10minutes he stormed off printing us a new ID card and in front of a rather packed bar proceeded to ask me for all of my personal contact details to ensure I was who I said I was... all for a few glasses of coke. After such a relaxing and enjoyable day, this really irritated me and embarrassed me to say the least.

Breakfast was plentiful. Your usual full English and continental options available.

Anyhow, other than the overbearing bar man, the hotel is lovely and I would return.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear JadeyNunn,
Thank you for taking the time to review us following your stay with us and apologies for the barman if he was 'overbearing', he should have handled the situation in a more sensitive manner. We do request that guests wishing to charge to their bedrooms keep their charge cards given at check in with them so that we can ensure items are going to the correct bedrooms however this should have been explained to you at check in to save later embarrssement; my apologies that it was not.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the rest of your time with us and managed to relax nicely and I do hope we are able to welcome you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

I stayed here twice in Executive Rooms and both stays were amazing! I had a bit of a problem on the second with the cooling system in the room not working, but after reporting it quite a bit, I got changed to a room with an even nicer view! :)

Reception: reception staff are tremendously friendly and hotel staff in general are friendly, wear warm smiles and make an effort at a pleasant interaction with their guests while walking past in hallways etc, by a simple "hello" or "good morning". The welcome area outside and entrance look a bit dainted but you can ignore that detail.

Building: the building is okay on the exterior -- part of it looks very country-side-like and the other half looks a bit more modern. You will also notice this while you walk along the hallway inside the hotels -- even the bedroom doors change from one half of the building to another. But minor matter. The gardens are well maintained and the building is kept clean.

Room: I stayed in an Executive Room on both stays and got to sleep in a normal room while the cooling system was being fixed. )The normal room is okay but the Executive room is way more comfortable and luxurious.) The bathrooms in the Executive Rooms are amazing with the showers, oversized mirrors and large bathtub (separate from showers). The bed offered a very comfortable sleep and the rooms were well-maintained and did not show any sign of wear/tear.

Gym/Spa: I visited the gym every day while there --- the facilities are top notch! It is not a tremendously huge gym but it contains lots of machines, weights and cables to help you get your normal workout routine done. The hotel also has a nice pool, sauna, spa hot tub, steam room, aromatherapy room, all of which were really well-positioned and nicely done. Lots of chairs around the pool to just lay back with wine or a beer or a smoothie and relax with a good book, or just take a little sleep.

Restaurant: while the food here is good, my only disappointment is that it can take a while for you to get served. I often found myself waiting long upon arrival at the restaurant for someone to come seat me. Sometimes while sitting, I also felt many times during the meal like I was forgotten as it took so long for waiters to come around to my table, unless I was with my group, in which case we had placed our individual meal orders before gong to the restaurant. The wines they had were good but the wine list is very extensive and can take some time to browse through, especially if you are a wine connoisseur!

Bottomline: I would definitely stay here again. A bit pricey, but the facilities are really lovely, the gym and spa are to die for, and I feel super relaxed whenever I stay here. I would run away here for a weekend for a bit of romance and relaxation. I haven't tried the golf course yet, but I've seen it and it's quite nice as well. I will be back in September.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear James D,
Wow, what a super review and I am delighted to hear that you found time to enjoy our facilities whilst attending your course. If you ever do decide to run away for that little bit of rest and romance then let me know and I will be happy to help.
Look forward to seeing you in September!
Hitchin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We got married abroad but wanted a get together for our close family when we arrived back. We booked a deal for 20 people which included, afternoon tea, champagne and scones with use of the spa. Dinner and Breakfast, the price was reasonable.
Upon arrival we were given the menu for the evening meal as we had a large group this was acceptable. We wanted to pay for the whole groups room with any extras that they add onto the room to be settled by them on check out.
The receptionist would not allow us to do this and wanted us to pay on departure. I stated I was not prepared to wait for everyone to check out the following morning, not impressed.
Afternoon tea was frustrating as only one person serving 20 of us and things were turning up at different times.
We booked an executive room which was spotlessly clean like the rest of the hotel but it had 2 singles beds pushed together which is not what we would expect.
Before dinner I spoke with another receptionist who allowed me pay the whole bill for the rooms, can't see what the issue was??
Prior to dinner we met in the bar for drinks, there was only one person behind the bar and with a charity gala in another room the lady behind the bar could not cope with the amount of customers. She was working very hard but this was poor planning by the management, it took us 20 minutes to be served. At this stage we were not impressed at all!
We were shown to The Green Room, which was our private room for the evening. It was a lovely setting and Lawrence introduced himself to us as our host for the evening. The food was very good and we had an excellent evening, our view of the hotel started to change. Lawrence was outstanding, nothing was too much trouble for him. A consummate professional with a very good sense of humour. Everyone in our party, young and old had a great time and this was in part to Lawrence. The small touches he arranged like the writing on dessert plates etc were very well received. Can't speak highly enough of this likeable chap!!
The following morning we had breakfast and it was excellent!
Our party departed and we stayed for a further night, using the spa which I have to compliment on the high standard of cleanliness. We had a very relaxing time and breakfast on our day of departure was just as good. We were met at breakfast by a part time worker (apologies can't remember his name) but he was a true gent and ambassador for the hotel. I believe he is semi retired.
In summary we had a bad start but we were won over with the very good food a few of the members of staff made the stay for us and as long as we get a double bed next time we will certainly return.

Room Tip: Ensure you ahs for a double bed and not 2 singles pushed together
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear MichaelJones,
Thank you for your review following your celebrations with us and I am very sorry that you experienced some issues at the start of your stay; these have been passed on to the relevent teams. However I am super glad that Laurence and Roger (our sem retired gent) were able to win you back and you will now look at returning to us again, do let me know of any dates in mind and I will be delighted to assist.
Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

Stayed here for one night for birthday treat on Champagne Tea package which included Dinner and Breakfast. Great location near to M4 on old Oxford Road towards Newbury. We upgraded to and Executive room before arrival and it was definatley worth the extra money as the room was much larger and had views over the golf course. Dinner was exceptional with good choice on fixed menu (a small surcharge if you wanted to make some choices form a la carte menu). Buffet breakfast equally as good. All the staff were very friendly and helpful despite the fact they were rushed off their feet with a large wedding party going on. Dont be put off by the outside of the hotel looking a bit tired in places the inside and the rooms are all of very high standard and will be staying again when we can get away.

Room Tip: Go for an upgrade to at least Executive room, worth the cost
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank moandmike
Dear moandmike,
Thank you so much for your lovely review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, our executive bedrooms are lovely and spacious and we think they are worth that little bit extra. Do let me know when you are next looking to visit and I would be delighted to assist.