“A very good hotel”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A very good hotel”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Hi , I have stayed here a few times on business and it is very good...the rooms are comfortable, clean and well appointed..the bar and restaurant are first class (although not cheap)...close to the town centre, and a good golf course

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear Terry P,

A short but wonderful review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and I hope we see you again soon.

Sally Russell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Polish first
East Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I stayed at the Donnington valley hotel for four nights with my fiancée and loved it. Staff were very welcoming and friendly. Dinner and breakfast at the winepress restaurant was delicious but we felt a tad overpriced. We made use of the leisure facilities and spa treatments. My massage was perfect and the spa staff in particular are an asset to the hotel. Great location for marco pierre white restaurant and highclere castle. Would stay again for sure!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear VictoriasAdventures,

Thank you for your review following your romantic break with us, super to hear it was nice and relaxing and even a massage enjoyed!

Do feel free to contact me next time you are looking to book and I would be delighted to assist.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

WE stayed 2 nights with a group of golfing friends (party of 8). Rooms are excellent and breakfasts also. Dinner on first night was poor but much improved on second night(different chef?). Service friendly and quick. Overall excellent value.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear suethebot,

Good to hear that your found us good vlaue for your parties golf break here at Donnington, hopefully we will see you again whilst the weather remains nice enough to be out on the course!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My company held a meeting here for a rather large party. It was the second time we had booked the resort. Rooms are comfortable.

Rooms are well-maintained, clean and beds are comfortable.

Reception desk staff service is inconsistent and could be improved. At check-in, front desk staff were rude and at the end of my stay, staff was unable to print my boarding pass without my actual assistance BEHIND the desk!

As I had the last time I stayed at Donnington, I had services at the onsite spa and used the gym. The spa is well staffed and the ladies were helpful and cordial. My spa service (massage) was first-rate. The gym is well frequented by regulars, but I didn't have to wait to use machines,etc.

Although the bar/restaurant was unable to make the slightest exception to my lunch request, even after I'd been assured it was 'no problem' and the order took about 20 minutes too long, overall the hotel restaurant's food was good. The dining room staff was attentive and friendly. When a colleague ordered a customized dessert at a group dinner, he was quickly accommodated.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear concetta2,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us, I am sorry to hear that the girls on reception were unable to print your boarding pass, they are normally very savvy with IT matters. I am pleased you found the time to enjoy our spa and enjoyed your massage... a little indulgence!

Best wishes,

UK
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a travelzoo voucher. Rooms nice but bathroom floor had hairs all over the floor! Corridors literally infested with wasps too! Pool area nice but lots of people leaving towels on beds meaning those actually trying to sit down couldn't. Coffee from cafe was dreadful, had to send it back and it was no better on return. Food in restaurant pretty dire too. Service terrible, not quite sure how waiting about 30mins for a bowl of soup is ok, then about another 30 for mains and dessert. The manager came to apologise and then our dessert took even longer to come out! Needless to say we tried to avoid our waitress the following morning for breakfast! This hotel was very much let down by its service. For example, two people serving hot breakfast items while everyone sitting at their tables were waiting for various things! Needs a better F&B manager otherwise they will definitely be losing their AA rating for food! Well positioned for highclere house. Gym facilities were excellent.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Ozzycat,

I am so sorry to hear that we let you down during your recent stay with us, we normally receive very good feedback about the team and the service they provide. I do hope that you give us the opportunity in the future to show you that we normally are 'so much better'.

London
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We spent a weekend @Donnington Valley in August. In a nutshell, staff here are truly friendly (or trained to be so) which makes it worth visiting/staying at this establishment.

On the other hand, the quality of facility is, I must say, average (nothing terribly bad or terribly good!). Bar is in fact nicely designed/deocrated but the restaurant decor is rather tired (you will see it when you have breakfast). But the corridor looked rather grim, and my bathroom was, although with fairly nice and new fitting/shower, came with the door which badly needed repainting.

Spa area is quite pleasant and pool is large enough and has a decent spaces around so you would not have to lie down next to some stranger only with 20cm distance, which is a big plus.

Food is ok, although I would not call it impressive.

As mentioned in some reviews, if a quiet room is preferred, it certainly can be found nearside to Golf course, as the number of doors that come between the banquet room/bar/restaurant will ensure that noise would not reach to the other end of the building.

One thing I really disliked about the place was the fact that they put on 'temporary deposit' of 50 pounds on the credit card when you check in. - Why do they bother? If they take the authorisation check upon check-in, would not that be enough? I felt rather insulted.

All in all, it is a ok place and I would not call it excellent, but certainly worth staying if you need an accommodation in the area, for the friendliness of the staff. It will be a pleasant stay for (almost) certain.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Lutecia,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review and I am especially pleased to hear how well my team looked after you and of course apologise that some facilities and decor did not match your expectations.

Just for other TA readers; we do take a pre-authorisation of a credit card upon arrival as is standard in most hotels now, this is enough to cover the cost of the room and allows any extras to be charged to your room. This does show as a temporary charge on your account whilst you are with us but then gets released when final payment is made. If this was not clearly explained to you then I am sorry.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back again when you are next in the area.

London, England , UK
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed one night in a spacious executive room with our 18 month old in a travel cot provided. Afternoon tea was included in the price of our visit, and it certainly filled us up! The fixtures and fittings were impressive, and the decor modern and well-maintained. The bed was kingsize, and very comfortable. Spa time was spent swimming in the excellent pool, which our baby enjoyed especially. Breakfast was full English and lots more besides, although my coffee was not hot enough unfortunately. Staff were efficient, but special mention to Drew in the bar who was very attentive and welcoming. The golf course was sadly off limits for our pushchair, and we didn't find the space for a decent walk, but nevertheless we will definitely stay there again on our trips to and from London to Cardiff.

Room Tip: Make sure that you ask for the best offer available by checking the hotels website in advance.