“Amazing weekend away”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Amazing weekend away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed here over August bank holiday week with the travel zoo offer and was a great weekend. The hotel and spa is immaculately clean and I had the best massage ever thank you katie it was amazing. The evening meal was lovely and a very good choice of wines on offer. The breakfast was the best iv ever had in a uk hotel there was everything you could think of from English breakfast to poached kippers to fruit salad if there wasn't something there you wanted you could just ask and they would make it. I would defiantly go back and stay again its very close to Newbury town.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank welshgurl89
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear welshgurl89,

Thank you for such a lovely review and I am so pleased that we provided such a great stay. Katie is delighted to receive such wonderful praise and I personally love the photo of our eggs benedict!

Again, I thank you for taking the time to leave your review and I hope we are able to welcome you back again soon.

Sally Russell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Polish first
Gosport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

I have just returned from a two night stay at this wonderful hotel. My husband booked the stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary and also for a chill out. The room was big with a seating area , tv, DVD player. The bathroom had a bath and separate shower and complimentary toiletries. We had a fab view overlooking the golf course.
The spa is well worth a visit whether to swim , sauna, jacuzzi or just relax on the loungers,
All the staff were polite and helpful and on returning to our room we found a bowl of fresh fruit and an anniversary card from Roger ( guest relations) congratulating us. He made a point of coming over to us at breakfast to personally congratulate us , the restaurant staff also wished us well and we had a note written on our desert plate, we really did feel quite special .
My facial was perfect and very relaxing and the spa staff very friendly.
This really is a wonderful place to stay , the staff are very helpful and nothing is too much trouble for them . We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear fuzznut,

'Definately returning' is exactly what we like to hear! I am so pleased that we were able to help with the celebration and relaxation and it sounds like you made the most of your stay with us.

Do contact me directly when you next have a date in mind and I would be happy to help.

Best wishes,

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

Hi , I have stayed here a few times on business and it is very good...the rooms are comfortable, clean and well appointed..the bar and restaurant are first class (although not cheap)...close to the town centre, and a good golf course

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Terry P,

A short but wonderful review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and I hope we see you again soon.

East Sussex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

I stayed at the Donnington valley hotel for four nights with my fiancée and loved it. Staff were very welcoming and friendly. Dinner and breakfast at the winepress restaurant was delicious but we felt a tad overpriced. We made use of the leisure facilities and spa treatments. My massage was perfect and the spa staff in particular are an asset to the hotel. Great location for marco pierre white restaurant and highclere castle. Would stay again for sure!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear VictoriasAdventures,

Thank you for your review following your romantic break with us, super to hear it was nice and relaxing and even a massage enjoyed!

Do feel free to contact me next time you are looking to book and I would be delighted to assist.

Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

WE stayed 2 nights with a group of golfing friends (party of 8). Rooms are excellent and breakfasts also. Dinner on first night was poor but much improved on second night(different chef?). Service friendly and quick. Overall excellent value.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear suethebot,

Good to hear that your found us good vlaue for your parties golf break here at Donnington, hopefully we will see you again whilst the weather remains nice enough to be out on the course!

Cherry Hill, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

My company held a meeting here for a rather large party. It was the second time we had booked the resort. Rooms are comfortable.

Rooms are well-maintained, clean and beds are comfortable.

Reception desk staff service is inconsistent and could be improved. At check-in, front desk staff were rude and at the end of my stay, staff was unable to print my boarding pass without my actual assistance BEHIND the desk!

As I had the last time I stayed at Donnington, I had services at the onsite spa and used the gym. The spa is well staffed and the ladies were helpful and cordial. My spa service (massage) was first-rate. The gym is well frequented by regulars, but I didn't have to wait to use machines,etc.

Although the bar/restaurant was unable to make the slightest exception to my lunch request, even after I'd been assured it was 'no problem' and the order took about 20 minutes too long, overall the hotel restaurant's food was good. The dining room staff was attentive and friendly. When a colleague ordered a customized dessert at a group dinner, he was quickly accommodated.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear concetta2,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us, I am sorry to hear that the girls on reception were unable to print your boarding pass, they are normally very savvy with IT matters. I am pleased you found the time to enjoy our spa and enjoyed your massage... a little indulgence!

Best wishes,

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a travelzoo voucher. Rooms nice but bathroom floor had hairs all over the floor! Corridors literally infested with wasps too! Pool area nice but lots of people leaving towels on beds meaning those actually trying to sit down couldn't. Coffee from cafe was dreadful, had to send it back and it was no better on return. Food in restaurant pretty dire too. Service terrible, not quite sure how waiting about 30mins for a bowl of soup is ok, then about another 30 for mains and dessert. The manager came to apologise and then our dessert took even longer to come out! Needless to say we tried to avoid our waitress the following morning for breakfast! This hotel was very much let down by its service. For example, two people serving hot breakfast items while everyone sitting at their tables were waiting for various things! Needs a better F&B manager otherwise they will definitely be losing their AA rating for food! Well positioned for highclere house. Gym facilities were excellent.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Ozzycat,

I am so sorry to hear that we let you down during your recent stay with us, we normally receive very good feedback about the team and the service they provide. I do hope that you give us the opportunity in the future to show you that we normally are 'so much better'.