“Loved it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Newbury
London
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed here for one night on the Travelzoo offer and couldn't have asked for anything better as a getaway. The service was friendly and efficient despite the hotel being very busy and the executive room was very clean and comfortable. The anniversary card and fruit were a nice touch too. The bathroom was great with the walk in shower and robes and slippers and the location overlooking the golf course and away from the function rooms was perfect. We spent the afternoon at the Spa which was very relaxing and the facial I had was very well done (thank you Tania). Dinner in the restaurant was of a high standard and well served with lots of choice and it was good to be able to to choose from the a la carte too (at an extra cost). Similarly breakfast was plentiful with everything you could want. It might be better though to have self service to minimise the queues and so that you can have exactly what you want. My only other small piece of feedback would be that it would be nice if glasses etc in both the bar and the spa relaxation room could be cleared away sooner as both were cluttered with used ones. Having said that, we're already thinking about our next trip!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear wowfactor,

"Couldn't have asked for anything better", and I couldn't have asked for a nicer review. I am delighted you are already considering a return stay and if I can be of any assistance then do contact me directly; sallyrussell@donningtonvalley.co.uk

Sallly Russell
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Just returned home from a weekend at Donnington Valley Hotel. Have stayed here before and had forgotten how bad the breakfast organisation was at such a top hotel.
The food is lovely, nothing wrong there, but they insist on making the breakfast experience a total shambles.
Such a shame it cannot be addressed, I object to standing in a very long queue waiting for one person to hand out portions of food on a plate, very school dinners!
I dont want to be told what to have, I want the right to choose my own, after all I did pay a lot of money for weekend break.

Dear Southwinds411,

Thank you for your review and we are especially happy to feedback from a return guest.

As part of our added service we do like to be able to assist guests with service from the buffet which alot of our guests appreciate, however if you would prefer to help yourself then please do just let the team know, we are happy to let you enjoy your breakfast however you like.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back again soon to Donnington Valley.

Best wishes,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Donnington Valley is very average in my opinion. Lovely golf course, well set out grounds. OK standard hotel gym. Personally I think it is well maintained but could do with modernization. Poor phone reception. May just be a case of personal taste but that was my impression.

I travel a lot on business and stay in many hotels so one becomes quite good at identifying quality of hotels.

Very good food! Absolutely amazing Californian salad with mackerel. A must try if you are ever there.

Now with my complaint.

Hotel was booked via expedia and fully paid before hand. On the date that I checked out, I was expecting a bill for room service only. But when I got my bill it was a full bill which included accommodation. I told the gentleman on the reception desk that I was sure that I had paid upfront. He said there was no record of my payment via expedia. I tried to show them the email confirming payment on my phone but the was no reception on 02 and EE my phones in the lobby. I was in a hurry for a meeting and really didn't want to deal with the embarrassment of debating payment or non payment. I paid the bill of over £500 knowing that I had already paid for accomodation in full via expedia. I told the gentleman on reception to make sure he calls me to confirm resolution of the issue and refund of the double payment during the day. I told him I am really busy and do not have time to chase this up.

Anyway a week on and no call or contact from the hotel. So I contacted Expedia. Expedia contacted the hotel and confirmed that amount that would be refunded and Donnington Valley accounts team would call me to confirm. After a further week or two having not heard from DV accounts I decided to call their accounts direct. The Accounts manager kindly told me she would get the accounts team to review and refund as appropriate. I asked for them to call as well as email and she said they would. True to her word I received a refund notification via email but no phone call. That was fine though.

However, as I was doing my expenses invoice I looked through the receipt of my original check- out invoice and realised I had been charged for three breakfast meals which I did not have. I sent an email sometime last week informing the accounts team that I did not have breakfast and would like a refund. Till date I have not received an acknowledgement of the email, how much more a refund for breakfast. I'll need to make time to chase up yet again for this refund at some point during the week. *sigh!*

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear 186338Traveller1,

Thank you for your review following your stay and I am so sorry that departure seems to have been a very large frustration. Reception will be in touch with you today to ensure your bill is all sorted out and many sincere apologies that it has taken some chasing to resolve.

I do hope this does not deter you from another stay and we are able to welcome you back.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Arrived 15/9/13 for two nights. Had to wait from 12.40 until 3.20pm to access room, told room was still dirty. It appeared that rooms were indeed ready earlier, but staff determined to hold out until exactly 3pm! Do not understand this procedure. A red-haired came to the resue, thankfully, hence we got into the room at 3.20pm. The second night advised that we could not dine until 7.30pm, restaurant should open at 7pm, because fully booked. However on entering the restaurant at 7.20pm, no-one was there ! Management need to review the finer details of good customer service. However, good service shown by the smart black gentleman. The facilities provided were excellent, food very good. Would consider going back again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Anna K,

Thank you for your feedback and I am so sorry that your room was not ready for you to check in to, our check in time is 3pm and we are always happy to let guests in as soon as they are ready and I am very sorry that on this occassion there was a delay. Our restaurant does indeed open at 7pm, on this evening we did have a large function in another room at 7pm which would be why we recommended a later sitting to avoid a clash in the kitchen. I am pleased however that Moses looked after you so well and I hope very much that you do consider returning to us, please do contact me directly if I can help with this at all.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed here over August bank holiday week with the travel zoo offer and was a great weekend. The hotel and spa is immaculately clean and I had the best massage ever thank you katie it was amazing. The evening meal was lovely and a very good choice of wines on offer. The breakfast was the best iv ever had in a uk hotel there was everything you could think of from English breakfast to poached kippers to fruit salad if there wasn't something there you wanted you could just ask and they would make it. I would defiantly go back and stay again its very close to Newbury town.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank welshgurl89
Dear welshgurl89,

Thank you for such a lovely review and I am so pleased that we provided such a great stay. Katie is delighted to receive such wonderful praise and I personally love the photo of our eggs benedict!

Again, I thank you for taking the time to leave your review and I hope we are able to welcome you back again soon.

Gosport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

I have just returned from a two night stay at this wonderful hotel. My husband booked the stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary and also for a chill out. The room was big with a seating area , tv, DVD player. The bathroom had a bath and separate shower and complimentary toiletries. We had a fab view overlooking the golf course.
The spa is well worth a visit whether to swim , sauna, jacuzzi or just relax on the loungers,
All the staff were polite and helpful and on returning to our room we found a bowl of fresh fruit and an anniversary card from Roger ( guest relations) congratulating us. He made a point of coming over to us at breakfast to personally congratulate us , the restaurant staff also wished us well and we had a note written on our desert plate, we really did feel quite special .
My facial was perfect and very relaxing and the spa staff very friendly.
This really is a wonderful place to stay , the staff are very helpful and nothing is too much trouble for them . We will definitely be returning.

Dear fuzznut,

'Definately returning' is exactly what we like to hear! I am so pleased that we were able to help with the celebration and relaxation and it sounds like you made the most of your stay with us.

Do contact me directly when you next have a date in mind and I would be happy to help.

Best wishes,

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

Hi , I have stayed here a few times on business and it is very good...the rooms are comfortable, clean and well appointed..the bar and restaurant are first class (although not cheap)...close to the town centre, and a good golf course

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Terry P,

A short but wonderful review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and I hope we see you again soon.

Sally Russell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newbury
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
Hare and Hounds Hotel
Hare and Hounds Hotel
#1 of 16 in Newbury
Doubletree by Hilton Newbury North

Been to Donnington Valley Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!