“It was just ok” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Newbury
Newbury, England, United Kingdom
“It was just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

First time experience having a spa for my post-birthday treatment, I was expecting at least a very good service. The girls in the spa was absolutely lovely, the service was very good but the actual spa reception downstairs was pretty awful service. We booked as a couple spa day treatment which includes facilities to use and champagne afternoon tea. After the massage treatment and facilities used, we then wait in the lounge where the reception is for the champagne afternoon tea. The service was awful, they staff clearly doesn't know how to serve the champagne afternoon tea, they just serve it on the tray instead of on the silver plated 3 tier rack/cake stand. They gave us both tea instead of what we ordered and no champagne served with it!!! I was furious cos it was my birthday treat, I wasn't impressed at all!!! What a bad experience. The staff needs proper training, and when they swap shift they need a handover. It's not worth the money, considering we paid a lot per person. Very bad experience, and absolutely awful service.

Room Tip: Very good over all.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Maricel M,

Firstly, I am pleased to hear that you and your friend both enjoyed your treatments and were looked after by our therapists. I am equally upset to hear that the complimentary champagne afternoon tea that was arranged for you was not as expected, I am aware that the hotel was very busy that Sunday for afternoon teas and we simply did not have enough stands to go around but I do apologise that the effect was not the same and that the champagne was not forthcoming.

Sally Russell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary and my birthday.I agree that the surroundings are good and in a nice location.The room was big/basic,television is in a strange place I agree with the other comments!..Evening meal was nice,we ordered from the Al a carte menu as the market menu wasn't to our liking,which I'm sure other people would agree!..The cleanliness of the room wasn't great,dirty used sugar wrapper on the floor by the table,the bathroom wasn't very clean,the bin lid was dirty and I noticed the toilet brush was dirty.I do feel this hotel needs to pay more attention to detail.We went for breakfast the next morning,we were just offered coffee and nothing else!..we both went up to the Buffett,there was hardly anything there and very messy!...I wanted toast,I wasn't offered this once and they could see I had nothing but never asked if I wanted anything !...overall I wouldn't stay here again,we went to a lovely hotel in the midlands last year called Ettington Park and it was fantastic with every detail looked at and a great price which is also a 4* hotel,I would defiantly recommend going here!...I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Rainbowsku,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback following your stay with us here at Donnington, I am very sorry that aspects of your stay were not up to our usual standard and I have of course passed on your review to all of my team here to ensure issues such as yours do not reoccur. I do hope you decide to give Donnington another try in the future

Sandhurst, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

My son and (now) daughter in law were recently married at this hotel and spa. Most guests booked in on the Friday, attended the ceremony on the Saturday and then left on the Sunday. From the moment we all arrived we have enjoyed friendly, courteous and helpful service from booking in to booking out.
The staff recognised that, as a group, we all wanted to get together and talk over old times and so we were taken to a private dining room for dinner on the Friday.
The day of the ceremony went without hitch thanks to the spotlessly clean public areas and function rooms, attentive staff and some really good food. A special mention of the new Master of Ceremonies who worked tirelessly all day.
This is a great location for a wedding!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Steve J,

Thank you so much for posting your review following your sons wedding, it was truly an honour to be able to look after you all and we wish the happy couple all the joy life brings in the future. Hopefully we will see you again soon!

Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had a two night break at the hotel including two rounds of golf. From the time we checked in to the time of leaving the staff were friendly, efficient and very very helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them.
The food was excellent, the room very comfortable with all the right facilities.
Although the golf course was busy, as one would expect at a weekend, it was a very nice parkland course with some very interesting holes. Especially the 15th and 16th
Thank you Donnington Valley for making our weekend reunion with our friends a great success.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear Carol S,

I am so happy to read your review as is my team, feedback like this is always wonderful! Absolutely delighted it was a successful reunion weekend and I hope it is not too long before you can all reunite again with us!

Thank you for taking the time to post this reveiw.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed here for one night on the Travelzoo offer and couldn't have asked for anything better as a getaway. The service was friendly and efficient despite the hotel being very busy and the executive room was very clean and comfortable. The anniversary card and fruit were a nice touch too. The bathroom was great with the walk in shower and robes and slippers and the location overlooking the golf course and away from the function rooms was perfect. We spent the afternoon at the Spa which was very relaxing and the facial I had was very well done (thank you Tania). Dinner in the restaurant was of a high standard and well served with lots of choice and it was good to be able to to choose from the a la carte too (at an extra cost). Similarly breakfast was plentiful with everything you could want. It might be better though to have self service to minimise the queues and so that you can have exactly what you want. My only other small piece of feedback would be that it would be nice if glasses etc in both the bar and the spa relaxation room could be cleared away sooner as both were cluttered with used ones. Having said that, we're already thinking about our next trip!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear wowfactor,

"Couldn't have asked for anything better", and I couldn't have asked for a nicer review. I am delighted you are already considering a return stay and if I can be of any assistance then do contact me directly; sallyrussell@donningtonvalley.co.uk

Sallly Russell
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Just returned home from a weekend at Donnington Valley Hotel. Have stayed here before and had forgotten how bad the breakfast organisation was at such a top hotel.
The food is lovely, nothing wrong there, but they insist on making the breakfast experience a total shambles.
Such a shame it cannot be addressed, I object to standing in a very long queue waiting for one person to hand out portions of food on a plate, very school dinners!
I dont want to be told what to have, I want the right to choose my own, after all I did pay a lot of money for weekend break.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Southwinds411,

Thank you for your review and we are especially happy to feedback from a return guest.

As part of our added service we do like to be able to assist guests with service from the buffet which alot of our guests appreciate, however if you would prefer to help yourself then please do just let the team know, we are happy to let you enjoy your breakfast however you like.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back again soon to Donnington Valley.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Donnington Valley is very average in my opinion. Lovely golf course, well set out grounds. OK standard hotel gym. Personally I think it is well maintained but could do with modernization. Poor phone reception. May just be a case of personal taste but that was my impression.

I travel a lot on business and stay in many hotels so one becomes quite good at identifying quality of hotels.

Very good food! Absolutely amazing Californian salad with mackerel. A must try if you are ever there.

Now with my complaint.

Hotel was booked via expedia and fully paid before hand. On the date that I checked out, I was expecting a bill for room service only. But when I got my bill it was a full bill which included accommodation. I told the gentleman on the reception desk that I was sure that I had paid upfront. He said there was no record of my payment via expedia. I tried to show them the email confirming payment on my phone but the was no reception on 02 and EE my phones in the lobby. I was in a hurry for a meeting and really didn't want to deal with the embarrassment of debating payment or non payment. I paid the bill of over £500 knowing that I had already paid for accomodation in full via expedia. I told the gentleman on reception to make sure he calls me to confirm resolution of the issue and refund of the double payment during the day. I told him I am really busy and do not have time to chase this up.

Anyway a week on and no call or contact from the hotel. So I contacted Expedia. Expedia contacted the hotel and confirmed that amount that would be refunded and Donnington Valley accounts team would call me to confirm. After a further week or two having not heard from DV accounts I decided to call their accounts direct. The Accounts manager kindly told me she would get the accounts team to review and refund as appropriate. I asked for them to call as well as email and she said they would. True to her word I received a refund notification via email but no phone call. That was fine though.

However, as I was doing my expenses invoice I looked through the receipt of my original check- out invoice and realised I had been charged for three breakfast meals which I did not have. I sent an email sometime last week informing the accounts team that I did not have breakfast and would like a refund. Till date I have not received an acknowledgement of the email, how much more a refund for breakfast. I'll need to make time to chase up yet again for this refund at some point during the week. *sigh!*

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear 186338Traveller1,

Thank you for your review following your stay and I am so sorry that departure seems to have been a very large frustration. Reception will be in touch with you today to ensure your bill is all sorted out and many sincere apologies that it has taken some chasing to resolve.

I do hope this does not deter you from another stay and we are able to welcome you back.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newbury
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
Hare and Hounds Hotel
Hare and Hounds Hotel
#1 of 16 in Newbury
Doubletree by Hilton Newbury North

Been to Donnington Valley Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!