“Great food again”

Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We met our friends at the lounge bar to have drinks and food before a concert. The food was excellent (as always), and there was a vibrant atmosphere in the lounge. Service was efficient and with a smile.
Our friends stayed the night at the hotel and enjoyed the treatments they had at the spa. It is fast becoming one of our favourite places to spend an evening out.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear BeefyNewbury,

Such a lovely review! Thank you very much and pleased to hear that our food and ambience is so highly rated! Hope you enjoyed the concert!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Good functional hotel with all you need from a good hotel. Food and service good and very good selection of outstanding wines on offer. A little pricey, for this reason may not use the hotel due to company's expenses policy.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Bishopsj,

Thank you for posting this lovely review and good to hear you enjoyed or food and wines. Keep an eye on our website for brilliant value packages or sign up so you get all the special deals available sent directly to you.

I hope we do get to see you again!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

My wife and I visited Donnington Valley hotel and spa for a relaxing night when driving back from Cardiff to London. We arrived a little late but were well looked after by the staff and enjoyed a very pleasant champagne afternoon tea. The spa and swimming pool are very nice but a coughing masseuse spoiled my wife's enjoyment of a whole body massage and facial. The restaurant was the right mix of sufficient formality for dinner but casual enough to be cosy. A nice romantic setting and meal. Our executive room overlooking the golf course on the second floor was spacious and modern but had no balcony which was disappointing. The buffet breakfast was ok but not a lot of choice and nothing special.

Room Tip: The new rooms facing the golf course are the best
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear JohnTs58,

Thank you for your comments and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that the champagne went down well after a long drive! We hope we can welcome you back to our Hotel in the near future or the next time you are passing!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed at Donnington for 3 nights in October in executive room which was spacious, clean, well equipped and quite comfortable. The SPA was great, I tried gym and swimming pool. For breakfast you have a variety of choices, English breakfast is traditional . For dinner you either go the restaurant or enjoy delicious burgers at the bar with some tasty beer. The staff was very gentle and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear rezi-x,

Thank you for such a lovely review and I am delighted you were looked after so well.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

My daughter and I booked the two night dinner, breakfast, 55 minute facial/massage each, package for 11-13 October, and started by arriving late due to traffic and getting lost. However, a quick phone call ten minutes before our dinner reservation letting them know, and they swapped us for an hour later, no problem. The word we kept using for the site, the grounds and the decor was "calming". It's a very relaxing venue. The room was average, but too warm with not very effective controls, and as with many hotels now we were only given quilts for bedding, far too hot, but a bit too chilled with nothing. Next morning we asked reception for a top sheet to be put on the bed, as the quilt was too warm. Staff did exactly that. Put a top sheet, neatly folded, on top of the fully made up with a quilt bed.
The dinners were splendid. A good range within the four choices of our package menu, huge portions, very rich desserts. Absolutely delicious, and some knockout combinations of flavours. An absolute highlight of the stay. Breakfast is not. Completely average spread, with the bacon seeming steamed rather than grilled or fried, and the toast consistently burnt. Lunch and afternoon tea in the poolside lounge takes you back to the excellent though; tasty, varied, generous and creative.
We found out when we fronted for our 55 minute facial/massage that it's actually one or the other, not combined, and they announced they'd booked me for the facial and my daughter for the massage. No consultation as to our preferences, and when we explained our interpretation of the booking we felt quite patronised and insulted by the receptionist's response. This was compounded by the treatments being respectively 20 and 15 minutes short of the 55! Two other guests in the relaxation room at the same time also expressed dissatisfaction, they said they had paid for an upgrade but not only didn't get the additional time, one was ten minutes short of the standard treatment. I had booked additional treatments, and when the next morning's also came up short, we spoke with Jamie the Duty Manager. He patiently wrote everything down, apologised, and tried to get the spa staff to liaise to resolve the matter. Unable to do so (sickness, short staffing) he was more than happy when we suggested that as we'd lost the equivalent time of a treatment, then deduct the cost of one treatment from our bill. It wasn't about scoring extras, just getting what we paid for - or only paying for what we had! So thanks Jamie, for prompt and courteous resolution. Overall the problems can probably be nipped in the bud; ask for the beds to be made up with a top sheet, ask for lightly done toast, skip the bacon, monitor your time in the treatment room, and request they complete the full session. If that's all sorted, then added to the relaxing ambience and lovely meals it will make for a delightful stay

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank annieje

Dear annieje,

Thank you for your review and I am so pleased Jamie was able to assist following your treatments. We will review all other comments for future improvements and I hope you will be back to see us again soon,

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We arrived at this hotel on 26th October, a very late, last minute booking! And how pleased we are that we did so.
We arrived to be welcomed by a very friendly receptionist who checked us in, informed us that she had booked us in for dinner at 9pm and gave us information about the hotel dining, room and spa facilities.
We went up to our room and were amazed at what a lovely room we had been allocated (room 302 on 2nd floor) .
As we hadn't packed any swimming wear, I went down to the spa to see if I could purchase any for us, again I was greeted by friendly welcoming staff who didn't need to convince me to purchase swimwear as the pool and facilities looked so welcoming.
After an hour and a half in the spa, and a lovely warm shower we went down to dinner.
We ordered from the a la carte market menu, the choice was good, the food and the wine we ordered was excellent and the service too was faultless!
Breakfast the following morning was relaxed, service was excellent and even though the hotel was full, we could not fault the staff.
Overall, Great hotel, Lovely location, Fantastic room, Wonderful spa, Amazing food and More than anything the Staff were Excellent.
The General Manager at this hotel is doing an amazing job.
We will most certainly return. Do not listen to the bad reviews)

Room Tip: Room 302 at back of hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear 734Ali1967,

Wow! What a lovely review so thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences. I am so pleased to hear that my team looked after you so well and you were able to enjoy all of our facilities... maybe next time we will have to get you out on the golf course so you can try everything!

Do let me know if I can be of any assistance with future bookings.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

My parents surprised me with a few spa treatments at Donnington and was very much looking forward to them.
When we arrived it was noted that I would have to wait for approx 10mins however, over an hour later I went into the room.
The lady who done my treatments had a scent of alcohol on her breath and was sniffing and coughing throughtout - its the little things that let it down.
The issue was brought up to the manager who could only offer guest passes - which we did not want as my parents are member and have passes to use - this again, was disappointing.
Lovely place though.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Jazmine G,
Thanks for posting your reveiw following your spa day with us, the details of your treatments have been passed over to my spa director who will be in contact with your parents to discuss directly and resolve.
I do hope we will be able to welcome you back soon.
Kind regards,