“Charming and Cozy”

Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Donnington has maintained the 'old world charm' while providing all amenities required for a comfortable stay. Rooms are quite spacious and one doesn't feel cramped. I wish the TV played more channels though.
The food in the restaurants was good and there were sufficient options to choose from. I was there for a business trip with colleagues from all over the world and I think everyone found food to suit their palette. The only exception was the breakfast - the menu was limited and was the same for the 3-4 days that i was there!
The staff was courteous and polite.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear niveditamukhija,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us, and I am pleased to hear that my team looked after you and your colleagues during your business trip, I do hope you found a little time to relax and use the spa!
I do hope we are able to welcome you back when are you next in the area.
Hotel Manager

There are newer reviews for Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Good start to the evening on Friday in a nice setting I thought.
When we all sat down the starters come out not nice at all no one liked them then we hoped the mains would be nice nope the Turkey was reclaimed meat a turkey loaf or roll the veg was ok that was it the desert was a microwaved Xmas pudding had to let it cool down for 5 minutes before eating due to how hot it was for £50 a head meal was expecting a lot more then that ie reclaimed meat when it looks like a £15 pub meal .
After the meal the th started not good blown speakers too load at times mixing was poor everyone in the room slowly left to the better dj on the other floor all happy but noticed no security watching anyone on the floor or on hand to sort out any problems that might occur that evening in the bar area and dance floor when on leaveing I went to collect my coat no one was around only the coat rail no one looking after all them £100s of coats no one on the front desk to I could of taken the whole coat rail if wanted as I don't think dunk guest would of been able to stop me standing around the front door having a fag
I will not be and other members of a 're party would not be recommending any one to go here due to sub standard food lack of safety

• Stayed: December 2013
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear jacksontheman,

Thank you for your review on your recent Christmas Party. I appreciate the time you have taken to give us such valuable feedback and it is very disappointing to hear you had such an 'unhappy' evening with us. I am sorry that the meal was not enjoyed but I can reassure you that our turkey is not from reclaimed meats, it comes from a local and very well established butchers who supply fresh local turkey, it is rolled by hand to make cooking and carving easier but it is not 'reclaimed'. Our Christmas Puddings are also not microwaved but are steam cooked.
One of our DJ's did suffer from a blown speak that evening which I hope you understand was out of our control but I am apologetic that it impacted the atmosphere.
We have never operated door staff or security staff at the hotel as we have never found the need; generally our clients are not the type to cause disruption and my team of managers are well trained to spot potential disputes and control them.
I will address why there was not a coat attendant on duty when you went to leave; there should be one present and coats should be given to those with tickets.

Again I do apologise that you feel we let down your festive evening and please do contact me directly if you would like to discuss any of these issues further.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I had my hen weekend here in July. Hotel stay, 30 min treatment, use of facilities, Champagne reception with pentiful nibbles, 3 course evening meal, breakfast.

It was the hottest weekend which made it even better as we all (12 of us) sat on the outside patio near the pool and sun bathed. It was like being abroad. The staff made sure we all had a chair/lounger which was very helpful.

The food we had for lunch and for dinner was amazing, my friends are still talking about the caesar salad (lunch) and I had a lovely piece of steak (dinner) which was one of the most tender ever! Although the portions were large for girls, so I couldn't eat it all. Their chips were to die for!!!

I do have one word of warning, and the only negative of our entire weekend... Unfortunately while outside on the patio both days we were sat next to a coupe who chain smoked the entire time. We couldn't move as the patio is small and it wouldn't have made a difference. Clearly this wasn't the hotel#s fault per se, but I don't think smoking should be allowed in this area, especially as it's a relaxing spa experience. A smoking area is needed that's further away from the pool and people eating/drinking and relaxing.

They'd changed one of the treatments without letting me know in advance (may be the people I booked it through), but this was changed for a very similar one and was probably just as good. (Not quite as vigorous an anti-cellulite massage as I would have liked, but very relaxing and very smooth skin after.) Full use of the chill out room and water available.

Overall a really lovely hen party, where I felt we were well taken car of by the staff who were all very nice and well trained to do their jobs. A lovely modern resort for a fab weekend.

Room Tip: The air con in my room didn't work very well, but it was the hottest day of the year and there w...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

Just been for a Christmas party and am disappointed. The food was poor and the service not as good as you would expect for 50 pound a head. Once food was eaten, staff were hovering and clearing away tables and chairs while the party/ disco was still going. The disco was too loud and crowded and there was not enough room to sit or socialise elsewhere. I would not recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear debsgraham

Thank you for your review following your Christmas Party here at Donnington. I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed with your evening and that your expectations were not met on this occasion. I apologise if you found the disco too loud and our bar and lounge areas busy, many of our other guests have commented how much they enjoyed the buzz and atmosphere of a busy evening however I do understand if this was not for you. Again, I am sorry to hear that you felt you were 'cleared away' quickly; with such a large exodus to the dance floor and bar following the meal my team were keen to get started clearing up however I do apologise that this impacted on your evening and it is certainly never our intension to push people out from their tables or make them feel rushed.

Thanks once again for taking the time to leave a review.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Getting to hotel was a breeze. Met at reception by very helpful staff from a good car park. Room was lovely, Very well appointed. A great touch is real Milk for Coffee/Tea in the room. Restaurants were superb for Dinner, Breakfast and best for evening meal. Throughout our stay the staff were fantastic. Giving us what ever we required, Thanks. A lovely spar swimming pool on offer. Golf next door. We went to the races and were transported slowly in heavy traffic. Leave early Newbury traffic is bad. We had a fantastic weekend at this lovely hotel. The wines on offer were very good.

Room Tip: All rooms looked good to me. This is a quiet area so all rooms should be quiet
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Dunelm22,

Thank you for such a glorious review! Race weekends are always busy so I am pleased that you were still very well looked after and managed to find time to experience all that we have to offer... maybe just the golf to go!

Plenty of race meets next year so I hope we will see you again soon.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I booked in for my sisters birthday a group of us went. Booking was so simple I sent a few emails regarding the spa treatments and the staff were so helpful and friendly and replied straight away! We arrived and went straight to our rooms to get in our robes ready to use the spa facilities. The rooms were spotless and a great size with a great view of the golf course. The spa facilities were great. Lovely swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam/sauna rooms. Dinner and breakfast was lovely. So much choice. I would definately recommend coming to stay here and hope to be back very soon!

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear leahbadger,

Thank you very much for your kind review and I am delighted to hear it was a lovely, relaxing stay and my team looked after you so well.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We booked a night here to celebrate our anniversary and it wasn't too far from home and the location of our babysitters! Check in was swift and friendly and upon arrival to our room we had been left a bowl of fruit and a card wishing us a happy anniversary which was a lovely touch (I realise theyhad asked if it was for a special occasion when I initially booked but still it makes your stay more personal!)

Our room was part of a loft conversion and had velux windows over looking the course. It was very long and spacious with all you needed to have a pleasant stay. The pool was lovely as was the steam room and sauna and breakfast delicious. It had been snowing during our visit which made it even more lovely, especially when you are swimming in the warm looking outside to the snow :0)

A great night for us and would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dirtyhumans

Dear dirtyhumans,

Thank you for your review and I am glad you managed to fill your stay with romance for your anniversary treat. March 2014 is now not far away so do let us know if we can help with a return visit at all!