“Lovely "but"!”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Lovely "but"!”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Booked a 2 night break with Dinner and Cream teas. Spa and Hotel is lovely as were all the staff. The food in general was very impressive and the breakfasts are fatastic. "But" it was spoiled by the non action taken over the 2 problems I had with my evening meal on the second night, my spinach arrived with pine nuts in which was not mentioned on the menu (this was mentioned as the veg on a different choice) and I am allergic to them, also the pheasant that accompanied it had 2 pieces of shot in it, which may prove how they are killed but not something I really wish to remove from my mouth. Apart from a sorry from the person who served and collected the plate nothing was mentioned. Both of these things are unexceptable, whilst I except that things do happen, there is a way of dealing with them, and I felt very let down by the lack of customer service.

Room Tip: Classic rooms have lovely beds and are plenty big enough.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roberta T
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Robert T,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us and I am pleased that overall it was a lovely time however never nice to receive a 'but' at the end of a compliment. I am terribly sorry that you found these extras in your dishes and that appropriate action was not taken at the time. Your issues were taken up with both the chef and our butcher for avoidance of a repeat in the future.

I am pleased that overall you had an enjoyable stay and that we are able to welcome you back again.

Sally Russell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Polish first
Wokingham
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Having visited the hotel prior for an amazing birthday trip we were less then impressed by some issues on our second and third trip which I will not disclose on here but those issues were dealt with swiftly and with a high level of service to rectify them.

Gemma was fantastic and went above and beyond in making sure we had new found faith in the hotel to which was fully restored to the point we are going to stay again.

From a smooth check in to check out, a lovely presented room, a spotless pool area and lovely food and all in between.

As of my first review my only criticism is again the treatment area as I tried to book a treatment but was told they were fully booked but when we walked past there were 4 therapists sitting around the desk looking up busy.

I'm glad we returned and if the same standards continue in our next visit we will defiantly not stay away!

Room Tip: Always go for an executive rear facing room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Zogjo,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this lovely review and I am so pleased that you were able to experience the true Donnington and that Gemma was able to assist in your arrangments.

Hopefully we can call you one of wonderful regular friends!

Best wishes

Bridgend
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I returned yesterday after a four night stay at this hotel. The executive room was big and had a lovely view of the golf course. It was the first time I'd been on this type of holiday and if I'm honest, I didn't expect it to be as fantastic as it was. The hotel was very Christmassy...dark wood, log fire, big Christmas tree and lots of sparkly lights. Christmas dinner was like home made with fresh vegetables, perfectly cooked. In fact all of the food was excellent and plentiful. The choir on Christmas Eve and Jazz trio Christmas Day were great touches. I wouldn't hesitate in returning to this hotel, whether booking direct, as I did for my son and daughter in law on Friday night, or with the same travel company.

Room Tip: I booked an executive room at the back of the hotel. It was quiet and the view was lovely.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear CJS54,

Thank you so much for such a lovely review of your festive break with us here at Donnington (and some lovely photos!). Good to hear that the Christmas lunch was like 'home made' I just hope the sprouts were not hard like they were at my house!
I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We booked this hotel for a 40th birthday break, I had originally seen an offer online which when I came to book had changed. A quick phone call later and I was able to book the offer I had originally seen with a receipt and e-mail confirmation following quickly. We were impressed with the hotel from the moment we arrived, we were able to check into our room early and found that we had been allocated an executive room - very spacious and comfortable with a bowl of fruit and birthday card which was a lovely touch. We had breakfast and Sunday lunch in the hotel restaurant, both meals were fantastic with plenty of choice and service was excellent.

We used both the spa facilities and golf course both of which helped make it an extra special weekend. Overall we were really impressed with this hotel, staff are friendly and nothing is to much trouble. Highly recommended

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Charlotte P,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a glowing review and many happy belated birthday wishes to you! We do believe it is the special touches that make a difference here so I am pleased you enjoyed them.
I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Berkshire
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Went for afternoon tea on Sunday 27th October 2013. Beautiful - could not ask for more. Would have liked a few more sandwiches but what we had was well worth the money (I am just a piggy!). Good quality cakes and sandwich fillings. The girl that was serving us - can not remember her name - was so nice and nothing was to much for her. Had a little chat with us - great member of staff. Thank you so much for making our afternoon even more special. Would definitely recommend for a special treat - next time I am booking the table in front of the open fire. Thank guys we had a lovely time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear BerkshireDolly,
You are absolutely very welcome! I am so pleased to hear that the celebrations were fitting and you all enjoyed your afternoon tea. Next time you come let me know and I will be sure to keep the 'fire place' table reserved for you!
Middlewich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Lovely hotel, great staff and perfect location for walking and exploring. I stayed here for 3 nights over Christmas as part of an organized holiday. I had an executive double which overlooked the golf course. The room was lovely and quiet with a beautiful big bathroom and had a lift down to the spa which was great if you walked down in your swimsuit and robe.
The staff were particularly outstanding considering they were working over the holiday and had to cope with all of us up till 4am each morning and laughing very loud :-).
The walk into Newbury was lovely especially as the sun was out and it was a flat walk. A nice pub called The Castle half way.
All in all an nice hotel for a quiet relaxing get away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel on either floors 2 or 3 so you get a nice aspect over the go...
Dear Bologna Y,
Thank you so much for leaving such a lovely review following your festive break with us, it sounds like you managed to fit alot into your time!
Hopefully we will be welcoming you back at Easter!
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I have just come back from a group Xmas break at this hotel. The hotel is clean and comfortable but having upgraded to an executive room, it was'nt worth it as I had no view at all, just a high bank with a fence and the French windows had a very cold draught coming in at the bottom. The food was mostly good and varied. The staff whilst being very willing to help forgot to put my bill under the door despite saying they would for a quick check out and on Xmas day the housekeeping was awful, bed not made, towels taken and not replaced and dirty bin bag left by the sink next to my toiletries. However, upon calling reception this was rectified but not what one expects from a 4 star hotel. The health club and spa are very nice and I had a very good massage. I would reccomend this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't bother with an executive room
Dear roz1812,
Thank you for your review following your Christmas break with us, rest assured all issues will be addressed with the relevenat teams but I am pleased you had a good time and maybe we will see you again for Easter!