“Nice Place”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
London
“Nice Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Booked this place through Groupon and it was not a bad deal. The deal included stay, dinner, breakfast and a bottle of wine(which I'll tell u about)

Firstly the hotel is nice with a touch of character to the building mixed with a few modern additions.

The room is nice, clean and spacious. It has a fridge and tea and coffee facilities.

Tv was great for me as quite a few sports channels but no movies. There is a cd and DVD player if you want to bring your own entertainment.

Bathroom was again nice and clean with a separate bath and shower cubicle. Shower needs a little more power but was ok.

Restaurant was ok and service not bad. Couple of birthdays being celebrated whilst we were there and nice to see the staff made a fuss of it by dimming the lights, bringing in a cake and singing happy birthday.

Used the gym a few times which was of a good standard. Didn't get a chance to use spa.

They have a large golf course which I didn't use as it's not my thing.

My only gripe that if checking out on a Sunday they should have a late one as standard without having to ask.

Also the deal included a bottle of wine which you can only have when you checkout. Makes no sense surely you should be able to have with your evening meals. Is it because the wine in the restaurant are far more expensive and this is where they make their money back?

I would go back

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roni2047
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Roni2047,

Thank you for taking the time to post your reveiw following your stay at the weekend, overall I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you would return. Keep an eye on our website for the latest deals and even some packages that include wine with your meal rather than to take home!

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Very best wishes,

Sally Russell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

This was my 3rd stay at this hotel and I am already looking forward to planning another trip here. We booked the Bacchanalian Feast 2 night break and were very pleased. The spa facilities are good, the rooms are spacious and the staff are friendly and helpful. On our first night we had matching wines with our dinner, picked for us by the assistant sommelier Katarina - who did an excellent job and took her time to explain the wine to us.

Had an excellent time here. Highly recommend.

1 Thank ChantellePeat
Dear ChantellePeat,

Feedback like this from a regular visitor is fantastic to hear!!!

I am so pleased that you continue to enjoy your breaks with us here at Donnington and next time you are planning a trip then do let me know directly and I will be happy to help with any arrangements.

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Our room was spacious, quiet, comfortable and clean. The spa facilities are good and staff (especially Drew in the bar) are friendly and helpful. Put together, it adds up to a relaxing and enjoyable weekend away. The bar menu is good and whilst the restaurant menu is not extensive and quite traditional, the quality of the food was good. The only complaint, and it's a mild one, is that one of the steam rooms in the spa was out of order.

Room Tip: The rooms the furtherest away from reception seem slighly larger and 3rd floor is the top so no nois...
Dear gcac_10,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor following your stay with us here at Donnington. I am pleased you had a nice 'away break' and to hear my team looked after you well, Drew was delighted to see a personal mention! My apologies for the maintenance issue which I am glad did not impact your stay too much.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards,

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I booked here as part of a trip to Newbury Races. We chose it because of the weekend offer of £319 DBB for two people. The price also included matching wines during one dinner and a case of wine to bring home with you. We couldn't believe what good value it was and I am pleased to say that it lived up to its promise. The hotel staff were extremely helpful throughout and we got a very thorough welcome when we arrived to check-in. We were upgraded to an executive room (without asking). The room was spacious, clean and quiet and overlooked the golf course. Our meals on both nights were extremely good. As part of the deal you could choose three courses from the market menu - about 5 choices of starter, main and dessert. On the second night the sommelier matched wines to our choices - so we tried wines we probably wouldn't have done otherwise. Choice at breakfast was very good with a wide selection of fruit and cooked items. We didn't use the spa but the pool looked very well looked after and clean and it was a decent size for a hotel pool. When we checked out we were presented with our 6 bottles of Australian wine - a perfect end to a perfect weekend! We will definitely be back.

Dear r_m_hurst,

Thank you for your review post racing weekend and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Bacchinalian Feast break, I do feel that any offer which includes wine is always a winner!

I am so pleased you were well looked after, well fed and even found time to relax around the pool.

I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stay here on a fairly regular basis for work and always find it welcoming, clean, good quality and comfortable. What else do you need?!

Never used the spa, but hear its very nice - the food is is great and the breakfast is always delicious.

Well worth a stay if you're in the Newbury area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear PMJF,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, feedback from our regular visitors is always good to receive!

I hope to see you again when you are next in Newbury,

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Would highly recommend Donnington Valley, I went with my husband for a night away without the children. When we first got to the hotel there was a wedding on so we initially thought oh No because it was so busy, but we arrived for our cream tea, service was excellent and food was great. Went to a lovely clean and spacious hotel room . I relaxed while my husband went to the gym which was the best hotel gym he had ever been to.

We went to the pool and sauna again plenty of room, relaxing environment, great facilities.

We had a 3 course evening meal booked and the food was great, we had service with a smile, we weren't rushed even though it started to fill up and we had a thoroughly enjoyable time.

Cooked breakfast in the morning was lovely so all in all from someone who tends to find something to complain about absolutely nothing wrong with the hotel at all would highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear RuthH_11,

Five out of five across the board... thank you so much! I am delighted to hear that we looked after you and you had a super experience with us here at Donnington.

I hope to welcome you again soon!

Very best wishes,

Thatcham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

We have just had our 2 day leadership conference at the Donnington Valley Hotel and I have to say how amazing the staff , hotel and food were. The service was impeccable. Nothing was too much trouble and my delegates had a very comfortable and enjoyable experience. The food too was also brilliant and I had no complaints at all which is rare for this group of people. Well Done and special thanks go to Nicole, Adam and Roger :-)

Room Tip: Ask for Adam to manage your event - supper efficient, polite, kind and attentive.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear NatAllen79,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review following your conference with us, it is such a joy to read! The team are delighted they were able to help in making your event a success and I thank you for choosing Donnington!

I hope we are able to welcome you again in the near future.