“Lack of customer service”

Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I find the reception staff unhelpful and rude. Last time I stayed I arrived at the hotel at 11pm and they informed me that they were overbooked and I had been booked into their 5* sister hotel (like it was some kind of favour)

I asked why they did not contact me to explain this (after all it was 11pm) and they just ignored the question....

I stay in Newbury every week and to be honest I'd rather stay at the Hilton Central - and that saying something!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank KAPCheshire
DVH-HM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I'm sorry to hear that your stay wasn't as you had expected.

Please contact me directly on 01635 568110 or sally.russell@donnningtonvalley.co.uk

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Having been to this hotel several times before for a spa day we decided to take up an offer for DBB. We had high expectations as we have always had an amazing spa day.
The product is excellent unfortunately the delivery and service lets all areas down.
Booking a treatment by phone was slow, and check-in was not without fault as arrived slightly early one room ready the other not, and there appeared difficulty in confirming simple items like robe and slippers and the leisure reception.
I also wanted to book afternoon tea for 1430, and was told after a lengthy phone hold that was spa was too busy that day to facilititate, yet when at the spa and ordering refreshments I requested afternoon tea and the gentleman said yes' fine, no problem and took our order.
The restaurant was also as disorganised from simply being seated, obtaining and wine menu and then getting our bill wrong, this was not improved much at breakfast.
We cannot fault the facilities, the leisure club was amazing, gym, pool, sauna, steam room, and the treatments as usual excellent. The room was very clean and comfortable, very spacious and lovely big bathroom offering seperate shower and bath. The food both afternoon tea, leisure refreshments, dinner and breakfast was delicious hats off to the chef. Unfortuntaely just the delivery, slow service and lack of communication was putting a dampner on the relaxing experience.
I have emailed the hotel seperately with my feedback but have not yet received a reply.....

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
DVH-HM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Guest

Many thanks for reviewing your stay on Trip Advisor.

I hope you received my email response to say that we are looking into your comments further and will be in touch soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Just returned from a Sunday over-nighter at Donnington Valley. Very relaxing - thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope we can go again. We booked this stay after visiting a similar large corporate/conference/function style of hotel a few months ago for a wedding. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Both there and at Donnington Valley, I enjoyed the bustle of so many things going on, plus the four-star comfort and the luxury of a swimming pool just down the corridor. From the outside, Donnington Valley isn't a looker or a competitor in the character stakes - it's rather like a Crossroads Motel on steroids but inside it has interesting shaped rooms, spaces and high ceilings, as well as long, long corridors of rooms. Our room wasn't the most luxurious or characterful I have ever stayed in but it was nicely appointed, soothingly decorated and was extremely pleasant; an easy space to relax in. The bathroom had bath and shower (we were lucky to have been upgraded to an executive room). Tea tray included a teapot and some particularly delicious biscuits.
The friendly, smiley staff are great. This hotel gives the impression of a culture of warm and professional service. For example, after we booked our stay, the restaurant called to remind us to reserve for our inclusive dinner, as they were filling up fast for that evening.
My vegetarian husband was imaginatively and handsomely catered for. There was a complete alternative vegetarian set menu for dinner which was impressive. I thought the food was good with moderate portions (that's a plus point because I hate plates piled with food), although the veggie main was possibly too moderate for a man with a hearty appetite. He said it was delicious. Top marks for offering vegetarians real choice.
The restaurant was busy and buzzy with a lively atmosphere and from there we retired to our room, sofa and television with a dvd from the hotel's limited selection - and than to bed.
We found the bed ok but not as comfortable as ours at home - I'm not a really fair judge of that as recovering from broken shoulder and finding lying down still quite painful. But I think the mattress was on the soft side which isn't my choice.
Breakfast was good. Fish was on the menu, although one small slip in service was that the waitress didn't tell us about these extra choices. She had simply left us to help ourselves from the main full English at the servery. I had to search out a menu on another table and then ordered smoked haddock with poached egg. It was cooked perfectly and served quickly.
We enjoyed the pool and had a couple of treatments at the spa. We paid £38 each for a 25 minute treatment each and my only gripe from our stay was that we didn't feel that these were particularly good value. The massage one us had probably only lasted about 15 minutes. To give credit where due, the treatment session was extended by use of the relaxation room which was like a therapy in itself.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennie_M_Bee
DVH-HM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. I’m pleased to hear you had a relaxing stay with us and enjoyed the lively atmosphere.

We do try and cater for our guests’ needs where we can, so it’s good to hear that your husband was impressed with the vegetarian choice of dishes. Thanks for highlighting the issue with the breakfast menu, I’ll bring this up with the breakfast team.

I’m sorry that you didn’t feel you had the allocated 25 minutes for the massages, the time for the treatments does include a short consultation so the massage would normally last for 20 minutes. I’m pleased that you enjoyed our relaxation room though.

Thanks again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Lovely Spa day for the costs, treatment rooms are good as was the Treatment, although as normal they want you to buy the products used. Food nice and served at time requested, outdoor area had an issue with Ants though. Staff very good

Room Tip: Ask for close to spa
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thanks for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. It’s great to hear you had a lovely spa day with us, and I’m pleased you enjoyed your treatment and food. Thanks for highlighting the issue with the ants, this is being looked into.

Thanks again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Having married at Donnington Valley Hotel back 2010, my wife & I have since celebrated our wedding anniversary by staying at the hotel & this year was another great experience

The highlights: -

AFTERNOON TEA - WOW - tasty tea & scrummy sandwiches & cakes. we especially enjoyed the preserves & the doggy bag at the end was appreciated by the children the next day!

SPA - My wife really enjoyed her Thalgo Collagen facial, along with enjoying the relaxing environment of the Spa. You must try the alcoholic smoothies!

DINNER - As always, the food was fantastic! We enjoyed dishes including monk fish & steak, not forgetting Chris's (the Sommelier) Tipple, which was a very enjoyable wine recommendation.
Thank you to the chef's for the lovely food & kind jesture of writing 'happy anniversary' in chocolate sauce on our desert plates...

My wife & I would like to say a BIg thank you to the staff of Donnington Valley - we experienced another great stay....THANK YOU VERY MUCH & see you next year!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Happy Anniversary! I’m so pleased to hear that you decided to celebrate your 4th wedding anniversary with us. It was great to have you back. Thanks for your lovely comments about your afternoon tea, spa and dinner experience. I’ll pass your thanks onto the team.

Thanks for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to celebrate your 5th wedding anniversary, but hope to see you before that.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

The best thing about the hotel is the spa. I expected quite plush rooms for a 4 star but they were quite standard and the decor was not very good.

When using the hairdryer it made the tv screen fuzzy and our milk for the complimentary tea was off.

You get free robes and slippers for your stay but the robes were not very nice and seemed to be diff to other peoples in the hotel. We booked through last minute.com so i wonder if this is why!

Room Tip: you dont need to tak a hairdryer or iron etc. All towels provided.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
DVH-HM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor.

I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed spending time in the spa whilst you were with us. We do have different robes for spa days guests and residential guests, but I'm sorry to hear you weren't happy with the robes you were provided with.

Thank you for highlighting the issue with the hairdryer and the TV. This is now being looked into. I hope you weren't inconvenienced too much by this.

I'm really sorry your milk was off as we do deliver fresh milk to each room on a daily basis. I believe the milk was replaced for you so I hope you were able to enjoy a complimentary cup of tea in your room.

Thanks again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Kelly

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Both the hotel grounds and the rooms are very beautiful, clean and tidy. The bathroom was simply amazing with a giant bathtub! The staff was helpful and caring, breakfast was of great variety and high quality, the dinner was also very tasty, I definitely recommend the restaurant. The only thing I was missing is the typical English ales.

Room Tip: Don't miss the spa if you stay there!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Guest

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us recently. Thank you for the lovely comments about our rooms, food and staff. We do have a locally brewed award winning West Berkshire ale on tap and by the bottle, so I do hope when you visit us again you can sample this great local ale.

Thanks again for the lovely review and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.