“Can't fault it - great one night Golf Break”

Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Can't fault it - great one night Golf Break”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Booked this one night golf break sometime ago but as it was good value (2 rounds golf, dinner, Bed & Breakfast) I was not expecting that much .

Weather helped (we had two glorious days) but room (Classic Twin) was very good (very well appointed and good size), food (Market Menu) although limited choice, was excellent quality (with very good and friendly service), breakfast very good, swimming pool wonderful, gym well appointed and golf (undulating parkland course) challenging (with nice club house so could stop half way round for a drink) with minimal waiting.

For those who enjoy wine with their meal you will be impressed with their very extensive wine list (one of the biggest I have ever seen at this standard of hotel) ! Although many are perhaps a little expensive for a golf break, they do have more reasonably priced wine too.

Overall, the Hotel has a "nice feel" to it and I wouldn't hesitate in going back again (especially as easily reached from London in approximately one hour) or recommending it to anyone.

Although we didn't use the spa It seemed very popular so if you want a golf break (or spa break) you could do worse than try the Donningto Valley !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
DVH-HM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thanks for your wonderful review of your recent golf break.

It’s great to hear that you were really happy with your entire stay, and enjoyed the food, pool, gym, and of course our challenging parkland golf course. Our Clubhouse is really popular with non members and members alike for a quick bite to eat or a drink on the way round, so I’m pleased you were able to experience this.

As we’re only an hour from London, I hope we’ll be seeing you again soon.

Sally Russell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
Dereham,norfolkUnited Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Something I cannot put my finger on prevented me giving 5*s. We went for a two night stay and my first impression was not good. Front of office staff in reception and especially in the restaurant were very austere. This might have something to do with their all black uniform but Could have been friendlier. Restaurant menu was very expensive and very limited so we did not use it. Went to two very good pubs not too far away. Breakfast was quite good though.
On the other hand the Spa was first class. Lovely pool, jacuzzi, aromatherapy room, sauna and steam room. Lots of loungers round the pool and also outside so that we could spend the whole day there relaxing and enjoying the facilities. AlSo a very well equipped gym and treatment centre.
Food and drinks were available and brought to you either in the pool or at the tables and chairs outside. Really enjoyed our time there.
The bedroom was okay but some little niggles, like a really poor shower and lack of information about restaurant/menu in the room. Also lots do door slamming during the night. Finally a little upset at letter under door on final night telling us that as they were full that night, breakfast would be crowded so we might want to go down early or order in our room, but this would cost extra. Also enclosed bill as if to say you cannot add any more charges to it and please get out. Finally although accessible for disabled, you would need to negotiate several lifts to access all floors. Lots of steps and levels.
To sum up lovely spa, but shame about hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jean B
I’m so pleased you enjoyed the time you spent relaxing in our spa throughout your stay.

Thank you for your comments regarding our staff that you we were first greeted by. I will certainly pass this on to our front of house manager to address with the team. I’m sorry to hear you were not entirely pleased with your room, but I hope you this does not put you off visiting us again in the future.

London
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Second time visiting this hotel, and stay was just as great. Had booked a classic room but was given an executive room, was lovely spacious, comfy bed, very large room came with a safe and a fridge. Only fault was that that the pressure on the shower wasn't enough for us, we like a power shower ha. The spa at this hotel is lovely, can get rather busy, we prefered visiting last evening or early morning when it was quiet. We didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on this. Looking forwards to visiting again in the near future!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
It’s great to hear you had a lovely stay with us recently and were able to relax in the spa during the quieter times.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon, and hope you are able to enjoy dinner in our WinePress restaurant the next time you visit.

Southampton UK
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Took 7 friends for an overnight stay and a couple of rounds of golf. After a particularly unpleasant start with an obnoxious little madam on reception who has clearly made the wrong career choice ( hospitality ), we went on to have 2 great rounds of golf, an excellent dinner ( served by the cheerful and helpful Moses ), an enjoyable if expensive evening at the bar, comfortable clean rooms, and a hearty breakfast.
The unpleasantness on arrival was swiftly and sensibly dealt with the following morning by an extremely efficient Operations Manager ( Povey ). My thanks to her, and thanks to all but one of her staff for making our brief stay so enjoyable.
For golfers, great course with tough greens

1 Thank RWilliamson
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent golf stay on Tripadvisor. It's great to hear you had a great time with us, enjoyed your dinner and breakfast, and were pleased with your rooms.

I'm sorry that you were not treated in the right way during check-in, but I'm glad Gemma Povey was able to dealt with this in a quick and efficient way. I will pass on your thanks to her, and also to Moses who looked after you so well during dinner.

Thank you for your kind comments about our golf course, and we hope we can welcome you back again soon for another golf trip.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Really enjoyed a one night package including a treatment in the Spa .All the staff were very attentive and professional.The place was very clean with lots of nice touches in the rooms.Food was good .Basically had a really relaxing , pampering time .Great place.

1 Thank huddlish
DVH-HM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thanks for your lovely review on Trip Advisor.

I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and had lovely, relaxing time in our spa. Thanks for your kind comments about your room and the food, and I hope we can welcome you back soon for another, relaxing pamper break.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was my second time staying here as the local office is close by.

I checked in, and the reception staff were friendly and helpful. I was given room 110 which, as I discovered once I was in the room, was a disabled access room. I really don't like these rooms and I really dislike being given one and not being told that in advance, especially as I was staying 4 nights.

The room itself was a good size and in good condition. The bathroom was not great - peeling paint on the ceiling, a cleaner's hair in the bath, water damage on a panel on the bath. and then on my final night there was a lot of doors banging late into the night, and I was woken early in the morning by the same as the staff were preparing conference rooms (or something).

The staff were pleasant and helpful and the room rate was good. And a great thing was that Wi-Fi was free in the hotel - very pleased to see this!

I think however that next time I might stay in another place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
DVH-HM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor, and your kind words about our staff. I’m glad you were happy with our room rate and free Wi-Fi.

Sorry to hear you were not happy with your room. Next time you stay with us, just let reception know if you are not happy with your room, and we will do our best to accommodate and move you to another if one is available.

I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Was allocated a room on arrival got to the room only to find someone else already booked in complain to manager and new room given 28 of us on golfing break one lad had to be given a new room as one first given was not cleaned
Second lad lights never worked in room another new room given
Food good in restaurant service was good as well
So ok after mishap

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
DVH-HM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for reviewing your golf break on Trip Advisor. Apologies for the mix up with rooms, but I’m pleased everything was resolved. I’m glad you enjoyed the food and service and I hope you had a good round of golf or two on our parkland golf course.

I look forward to seeing you soon for another golf break.