“Like an American Country Hotel”

Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 19 August 2014

With the golf course and it's architecture, this hotel is a piece of american countryside in the heart of England. Now about the steaks... that's far from it, but the rest of the food was pretty good - with overly nice waiters. (I think you can call them namby-pamby.)
The wellness section is ok, the pool and the saunas are perfect after a long day's work. Or before...
Room was fine, with comfortable bed and spacious bathroom.
With it's setting, this hotel gives a relaxing atmosphere for business travellers and everyone else.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
DVH-HM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thanks for your great feedback on your recent stay. I’m glad to hear that you found your room comfortable and enjoyed the food and our spa facilities. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I had high hopes of our stay at the Donnington but overall was disappointed. We queued for ages just to check in with small children and heavy bags - and then were overcharged the deposit and had to chase several times to receive a copy of the invoice via email. We stayed as a family of four, with interconnecting rooms. These were a nice size, with a good bathroom and facilities. Biscuits had been left in the room, painted with the children's names, which was a nice touch. However, the sheets were stained with brown marks and the room smelt very antiseptic. We could not use the bar as it was full of guests at an event so had to take the children to the more serious restaurant. Several other guests tutted at our children, which made us feel very unwelcome and the food was lacklustre - not justifying the high prices (although a good value children's menu). The gym was excellent but overall not a hotel I would return to.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank lisa_felton

Thanks for taking to time to give your feedback on your recent experience with us. I’m pleased you were happy our gym, with size your rooms and the facilities, and liked the personalised children’s biscuits, but please accept our apologies for the condition of the sheets and smell in the rooms, I will bring these issues to the attention of housekeeping.

I’m also sorry to hear you weren’t entirely happy with the food, check in and post stay service. I hope you still enjoyed your stay despite these issues. If you do decide to stay with us again, please contact me directly and I will make sure that you are looked after.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This hotel is not the most attractive when you approach it there is a feeling of a late 70's early 80's cubic design to it which flows into the rooms which are well equipped but have corporate feel rather than a unique one. Having said that the reception and bar area could have been lifted out of a mansion house and would not look out of place back there.
The jewel in this crown is the restaurant which out performs the rest of the hotel with its limited but very well presented menu, the food arrived in a timely manner and was hot and tasty but the best bit is its wine list which is probably the most comprehensive list I have ever encountered which does seem out of place in a golf club hotel.
The Sommelier is a very enthusiastic man call Chris I believe and he has a fantastic depth of knowledge of all the wines he stocks and introduced us to some that we were unaware were wine producing countries so be sure to utilise him if you stay here as you will learn something I am sure.
Breakfast is fine and is set out in a buffet style but there is a member of staff that's serves you, now to me a buffet service is fine in a 4 star hotel as I am happy to select which particular piece of food I require without having to instruct somebody else to select it for me, it just seems like a waste of staff resources, if you want to serve someone why not serve them at the table?
As mentioned before the bar area is very nice but in the evening it is perhaps a little too dark and reading the bar menu can be tricky if you don't possess 20/20 vision.
The pool area was fine only being let down by a lot of crockery and left over food being left around for too long after being consumed as breakages can occur in an area people walk around in bare feet so this is an accident waiting to happen so more attention in this area is required.
Overall a perfectly usable hotel which I would happily use again as a base when going to Newbury races.

1  Thank ExcaliberMidlands

Thanks for taking the time to review your Donnington Valley experience on Trip Advisor. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your food and loved our restaurant. Thanks for your kind comments about Chris, our Head Sommelier. He’s very passionate about wine as you saw and loves to source new wines to add the ever growing wine list.

Thanks for highlighting the crockery issue in the spa area. I hope this didn’t impact too much on the enjoyment of your time spent in our spa.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Booked a spa day for our wedding anniversary and we were not disappointed. We had lunch included which was very enjoyable and a 25 minute treatment which was very relaxing. Whilst not cheap I would definitely go for a longer treatment in the future. Never had one before but for me it was excellent. All towels, robes etc were provided and clean changing rooms. Lovely pool and spa facilities, all very clean. Pool quite cold but lovely after being in the sauna! Just a couple of reasons why this doesn't get five stars though. Staff were very slow to clear up dirty glasses etc around the pool area for most of the day. It wasn't until a new member of staff arrived mid afternoon that things got cleared up and credit to her for that. Also extra drinks and food are on the expensive side. Those little gripes said though we had a lovely day and would happily return and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
DVH-HM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay with us to celebrate your wedding anniversary. It’s great you were able to use the spa and enjoyed your treatment. We have a great range of treatments so hopefully next time you visit us, you can choose a longer treatment.

Thanks for your comments on our staff and highlighting the issue with dirty glasses. This issue will be addressed.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another relaxing spa stay.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights and everything was perfect. We had a lovely spacious room. The breakfast and the evening meal was delicious. We enjoyed hanging out by the pool and using the spa facilities. We even took a walk up to the ruins around the corner which had lovely views. The town centre was not far by car and has great shops and plenty of places to eat.

Room Tip: Our room was right by the spa and was excellent
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your lovely feedback about your recent stay at Donnington Valley. I’m really pleased you enjoyed your whole experience from your room, dinner and breakfast to the spa, the surrounding countryside and shopping in Newbury.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Was taken here for one night by my partner for my birthday and loved every minute of it!! Appreciated the lovely touch of a birthday card and bowl of fruit waiting for me, which apparently was picked up on from when my partner booked!! The Spa and staff were excellent as were the staff in the hotel and restaurant itself. Would definately recommend, as already have done, and would definately return!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
DVH-HM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

It’s fantastic to hear you enjoyed your birthday treat here at Donnington Valley. I’m so pleased you had a wonderful stay and appreciated the card and the fruit bowl in your room.

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor, and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is a very usual, run of the mill hotel, I had been led to believe that it was a bit of something special, but it just ordinary nice, the pool was lovely but a tad cool, the staff were lovely as they are in most chain hotels, the bed was huge, the soap was 'white company' so very nice, the bar man gave me a campari, but did not know it was supposed to be a 50ml measure, so when he topped it up with soda it tasted like water, I asked for another measure of campari, that doubled the cost!!
The bar menu stated it was a 50ml measure so I had to bring this up as the drinks are not cheap here, the next day I ordered 3 drinks, wine, juice and coffee, at £11 I thought it good value, but the next round of one glass of wine was also £11 as I had been under charged for the previous glass, the barmaid did not know that there was two prices for small or large glass, so I think the hotel really need to train the staff in what a measure is ,over £3 for a drink I expect it to be measured properly, not over diluted with soda .
The girls in the spa seemed incredibly bored when we went for a swim, keys for locker thrown at us, ok it was late evening, but that was no excuse for a very slack attitude from some very pretty girls, I really can't think why they even have jobs, I'm sure more professional girls are available.
The public areas, toilets, bar etc were very nice, our room was fine, most of the staff were nice but I really wouldn't return, and for the price I was hoping for a bit more, but unfortunately this hotel Is a little bit less than I expected.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor. I want to thank you for bringing the bar and spa issues to my attention. I will certainly be speaking to our bar team to ensure they receive further training on pricing and measures. As for our spa team, I’m sorry that you did not receive the best welcome, this issue will be addressed with the spa manager.

Please contact me directly if you do decide to stay with us again in the future.