“very poor hotel”

Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 31 August 2014

16 of us went to this so called 4star hotel. the so called cooked breakfast was cold and the plates were very cold and the main meals very poor room service good drinks highly overpriced our evening meal took over 2 30+mins to serve a 3 course meal. a lot of nicely dressed staff most of did not know what they where doing and when asked a question gave wrong answers. have stayed at a lot of hotels this is by the worst would never recommend very very disappointed G Klassa

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
DVH-HM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with us. We have just received very positive feedback from the organiser of your stay commenting on the great food and service so I'm sorry that your experience did not reflect that of other members of your party.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stay in Newbury regularly on business and am forming a pretty clear picture on where and where not to stay. Unfortunately the Donnington Valley falls into the not category. The room itself is quite nice, but as a business traveller I need decent wifi, which is lacking here. When i've done working it's nice to chill with a bit of tv, but even that's limited here as there are only 5 or 6 channels, all with poor reception. Room service took over an hour to arrive, and really wasn't worth the wait, and the bed was rock hard. Given the choice, I'll stay in the globally branded establishment up the road in the future.

Room Tip: Stay in the Hilton North.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. I'm glad you were pleased with your room, but I'm sorry to hear that you had to wait so long for room service. Thank you for highlighting this as it's not acceptable for you to have waited an hour for your order. Some of our bedrooms have softer beds, and we would have gladly moved you to a different room on the night you stayed.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

i went with a party 16 friends this is a 4 star hotel my opinion no more than 2 the food was very poor the cooked breakfast was cold served on cold plates the toast was not toasted it looked like had come out of the fridge the rest of the food was very poor the diner food not cooked very well the chef or should i say cook liked salt every meal i had had far too much salt i expect to pay a bit for drinks but £8 for a disrano is a bit strong in my opinion all drinks are well overpriced i will not go to this hotel again any one who does check the bar price nearest pub 1mile away our first evening meal took two and a half hours to serve and the bread tasted stale

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
DVH-HM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us at Donnington Valley. Thank you for highlighting the issues you had with your stay. I’m sorry to hear you weren’t impressed with the food, service and price of our drinks. I hope your rooms were to your liking and you and your friends were able to spend time in our state of the art gym and spa.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I stayed for 4 nights and it is exceptionally frustrating if you are staying on business because of the lack of phone signal and the hotel wifi was very intermittent.
Having said that it had a good spa and gym and the bar areas had a good relaxed feel. The food was OK and the room very quiet, spacious and clean.
I would class my stay as very comfortable but frustrating due to the poor network and wifi.
I dont play golf but the golfers among us said it was a good and challenging golf course.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay. I’m glad that you enjoyed the spa, gym bar areas and you were happy with your room. However, I’m sorry to hear that you found the intermittent wi-fi and phone signal frustrating. Our IT department has looked into the wi-fi issue and this has now improved.

I hope we can welcome you back another time.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

With the golf course and it's architecture, this hotel is a piece of american countryside in the heart of England. Now about the steaks... that's far from it, but the rest of the food was pretty good - with overly nice waiters. (I think you can call them namby-pamby.)
The wellness section is ok, the pool and the saunas are perfect after a long day's work. Or before...
Room was fine, with comfortable bed and spacious bathroom.
With it's setting, this hotel gives a relaxing atmosphere for business travellers and everyone else.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
DVH-HM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thanks for your great feedback on your recent stay. I’m glad to hear that you found your room comfortable and enjoyed the food and our spa facilities. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I had high hopes of our stay at the Donnington but overall was disappointed. We queued for ages just to check in with small children and heavy bags - and then were overcharged the deposit and had to chase several times to receive a copy of the invoice via email. We stayed as a family of four, with interconnecting rooms. These were a nice size, with a good bathroom and facilities. Biscuits had been left in the room, painted with the children's names, which was a nice touch. However, the sheets were stained with brown marks and the room smelt very antiseptic. We could not use the bar as it was full of guests at an event so had to take the children to the more serious restaurant. Several other guests tutted at our children, which made us feel very unwelcome and the food was lacklustre - not justifying the high prices (although a good value children's menu). The gym was excellent but overall not a hotel I would return to.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank lisa_felton

Thanks for taking to time to give your feedback on your recent experience with us. I’m pleased you were happy our gym, with size your rooms and the facilities, and liked the personalised children’s biscuits, but please accept our apologies for the condition of the sheets and smell in the rooms, I will bring these issues to the attention of housekeeping.

I’m also sorry to hear you weren’t entirely happy with the food, check in and post stay service. I hope you still enjoyed your stay despite these issues. If you do decide to stay with us again, please contact me directly and I will make sure that you are looked after.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This hotel is not the most attractive when you approach it there is a feeling of a late 70's early 80's cubic design to it which flows into the rooms which are well equipped but have corporate feel rather than a unique one. Having said that the reception and bar area could have been lifted out of a mansion house and would not look out of place back there.
The jewel in this crown is the restaurant which out performs the rest of the hotel with its limited but very well presented menu, the food arrived in a timely manner and was hot and tasty but the best bit is its wine list which is probably the most comprehensive list I have ever encountered which does seem out of place in a golf club hotel.
The Sommelier is a very enthusiastic man call Chris I believe and he has a fantastic depth of knowledge of all the wines he stocks and introduced us to some that we were unaware were wine producing countries so be sure to utilise him if you stay here as you will learn something I am sure.
Breakfast is fine and is set out in a buffet style but there is a member of staff that's serves you, now to me a buffet service is fine in a 4 star hotel as I am happy to select which particular piece of food I require without having to instruct somebody else to select it for me, it just seems like a waste of staff resources, if you want to serve someone why not serve them at the table?
As mentioned before the bar area is very nice but in the evening it is perhaps a little too dark and reading the bar menu can be tricky if you don't possess 20/20 vision.
The pool area was fine only being let down by a lot of crockery and left over food being left around for too long after being consumed as breakages can occur in an area people walk around in bare feet so this is an accident waiting to happen so more attention in this area is required.
Overall a perfectly usable hotel which I would happily use again as a base when going to Newbury races.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ExcaliberMidlands

Thanks for taking the time to review your Donnington Valley experience on Trip Advisor. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your food and loved our restaurant. Thanks for your kind comments about Chris, our Head Sommelier. He’s very passionate about wine as you saw and loves to source new wines to add the ever growing wine list.

Thanks for highlighting the crockery issue in the spa area. I hope this didn’t impact too much on the enjoyment of your time spent in our spa.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.