“Good Hotel”

Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 12 July 2009

I would recommend this hotel and spa to anyone.
Okay here are my pros and cons.
pro's:-
Hotel was clean,
Room was lovely
Shower was lovely
Lots of car parking
Swimming pool, sauna, steam room and aroma room good.
English breakfast was nice and the Head Waiter and waitress were friendly. we left some food on our plates and the head waiter asked if everything was okay, we said yes as we had just put too much food on our plates. He wanted to know so that if there was something wrong improvements could be made. but I would not fault the breakfast room and staff.

CON's
We arrived just after 3pm on Sunday, at reception one lady was on the phone and one man was just working away at his computer in front of us, he didn't say boo to us. Just kept on doing whatever he was doing. I found this rude as he could clearly see we had come to check in and that his colleague was busy but did he say hellow did say please hold on and as soon as his colleague came off the phone she would check us in - no he blatantly ignored us.

So then she finally came off the phone after what felt like 15 mins of standing there but was only about 10 minutes, checked us in, gave us 3 room cards to enter our room and on our way we went up. We got to our room and all 3 cards did not work, so I went back to reception where she apologised and programmed our room cards, so along I went back to our room and they still didn't work! So one my friends saw a cleaner on our room and she tried our cards and they still didn't work but she used her key and let us in to our room.

So I called reception to request 3 new room cards and explained the situation and she said okay i wll send someone up with new cards. We waited and we waited and after ten minutes I called again and again explained our situation and the chap on the phone said okay I am sending someone up and finally someone did come up with 3 working room cards.

I don't find the reception staff friendly at all. Oh and once we got to the pool area we say a sign that the jacuzzie was out of order so I asked the reception and asked when it woudl be repaired by and she said it has not been working for the last 4 days and I thought to myself - well thanks for letting us know! And she said it may get fixed on Monday (the day we leave) - great. And low and behold just as we were leaving at 4pm on Monday it was working as the workman had been in on Monday to fix it.

But they didn't even give us money off, a free meal nothing to apologise for the jacuzzie not working.

This is a good hotel don't get me wrong but just a few little cons there. Is a very clean hotel and I would recommend this. Hopefully when you go the jacuzzie will be working.

Ush

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,516)

Reviewed 29 June 2009

Stayed at the Donnington in a Executive Suite as the Vineyard (sister hotel) was fully booked, ready for a board meeting on Monday morning.
Very bad service in the bar - waited nearly an hour for a tasteless spaghetti carbonara (£12.50) and 20 minutes for my glass of wine (which cost £11.50!).
We also weren't the only ones complaining about the service.
Poorly finished bedroom with squeeky wardrobe door, chipped shower basin and broken bathroow sink tap which meant the water went everywhere but in the basin whenever you brushed your teeth/washed your hands.... resorted to the bath mixed tap in the end.
Saving grace, the bed was extremely comfortable and the breakfast well cooked - shame about the burnt toast.

Would not recommend to a friend and would have complained had it not been on the company dime.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Went to Donnington a couple of weeks ago for a weekend break with my husband. We stayed in one of the suites which was pretty reasonably priced. Room was clean and comfortable with a decent bed. Room wise only criticism was that the wardrobe door was broken and there was no way to turn off the heated towel rail in the bathroom which meant it was like a sauna in there! Only other issue with room was that we were supposed to have a DVD playerwhich was not there when we arrived - to be fair though this was resolved within 15 minutes of a call to reception. Pool facilities are excellent - if you are staying at the hotel they will provide you with a robe and slippers to use in the pool area (you need to ask at reception) - comfy loungers, not too busy, fab jacuzzi - you can also order food and drink from the pool side, although you did need to approach the staff as oppose to them coming to you - we had little success with the 'service flags'. Breakfast was a little on the ropey side - food was fine but service left quite a bit to be desired - no butter on the table, had to ask for toast twice - why is it that hotels seem to find service at breakfast such a challenge? The Americans seem to manage ok! Key word of advice - don't be sucked in by the £27 per head dinner offer - this is for a very limited menu only called the 'market menu', if you want to choose from the full menu they charge expensive supplements. We didn't like the menu or being mislead ,so actually cancelled the evening meal and went to a lovely pub in Hungerford instead (forget the name, sorry! - possibly Swan Hotel). All in all though a great weekend break - one or two minor issues as i've said but nothing that spoilt things.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2009

I booked a surprise trip for my mother who turned 50, when we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff who explained what to expect from our stay . We were given directions to our room. Our room was nice and spacious, also very clean , we all loved the marble bathrooms.The spa was nice but the receptionist wasnt very pleasant , she made us all feel unwelcome. We chose the massage chair as one of our treatments, the chair was really good however it was located in the reception of the Spa , aS you can imagine you could not really relax with so much going on around you , you are sat in the chair right next to the nail bar and opposite is a great big mirror facing a 2nd nailbar , Whilst we were trying to relax there was a customer having their nail done and a new member of staff getting shown around ....
The resturant was ok , but again the staff wasnt very helpful ,we didnt enjoy our evening meal , however the breakfast was really nice.
Overall our stay was ok , and my mom had a fantastic birthday .

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Admittedly arriving just as a wedding fair was packing up was a bit offputting, as was finding out my room wasn't ready (at 4pm), but this hotel doesn't quite live up to its website puffery.

Definitely the pricefighter to its more illustrious sister, the Vineyard it has the same unfathomable regard for wooden loo seats and the 'fresh' milk in the fridge is UHT cartons, but at least you have got a fridge. BYO , wine , as is food, resto and room service, eyewateringly pricey, not helped by the £5 tray charge. Maybe this explains the fact that the place was half empty (making the delay on check in even more annoying).

Other than this it was fine. Small room with reasonable bathroom, decent shower, difficult to flush loo.

Very good bed (the saving grace) and the room has airconditioning and heating.

Overall not quite there for a relaxing or treat break, despite the spa. For a stopover at a good rate (I paid £49 incl tax but no breakfast, Chievely services is 5 mins in the car if required), Food in the bar was v. good and on a Sunday at least restful after the bad beginning, and reasonably priced compared with the resto. Despite its shortcomings I would consider again if the rate were similar, otherwise I would keep driving....

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 March 2009

We were so chuffed with Donnington Valley we are planning to go back with friends. I would even go as far to say that this is a perfect wedding venue.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2009

We booked a cut price spa break, and were not disappointed. The room was small but comfy, and having a fridge to put the wine in was a definite plus. The hotel itself is modern, with plenty of facilities and parking etc, and with nice views over the golf course and adjacent countryside. The restaurant is modern and a bit soulless, but the breakfasts are very pleasant.
The spa facilities are lovely, whether you are having a treatment or just relaxing in the pool. Everything is new and well appointed, and there is a cafe overlooking the pool, so you can spend the entire day there if you want.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends