“fabulous”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Telford
“fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2009

Booked a last minute deal 2 for 1 which included full breakfast and 1 treatment for myself and a friend. It was fantastic the staff were all super friendly and helpful, the hotel was lovely the spa staff were excellent and the treatments were fabulous. My friend teaches beauty therapy and has her own salon and was very impressed.
We combined the stay with a trip the Biscester Designer Outlet village on the way (about 30 minutes away). We re-visited it on the way home and asked one of the bar staff if he knew what the opening times were and he went to reception and came back with a printout of the opening times etc
The hotel looks good inside and out and is set in lovely grounds.
The food was all lovely especially the evening meal in the restaurant, the puddings were amazing! (not low fat though!)
We are already planning our next visit. Nothing was to much trouble and I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Polish first
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

Recently enjoyed a spa break at this hotel and staff throughout were excellent. Friendly, professional and proactive they really made this hotel really stand out from the crowd.

Bedrooms were large, comfortable and contemporary in style with small touches, like the pin cushion, that made you smile and feel lthat the team here really think things through and care about the details.

The location is great for motorway access and hotel is very easy to find.

Thanks for an excellent stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Swindon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2009

We stayed for 4 nights in August, wonderful place. Very peaceful hotel surroundings, room clean and well furnished and the spa and food is superb...fully reccomended. However I will not be using Hotels.com again as on checkout I find I could of paid over £100 less than using Hotels.com who refused to even entertain a price match - Be warned.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Windsor, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

We have been long term fans of this hotel, even back to a year ago it was a hidden gem, a fantastically good value location for a relaxing break, brilliant spa, lovely rooms and great service. Something has changed.

Our recent visit was a catalogue of bad service and the hotel has definitely suffered from a reduction in staff training, or a change in management. We actually really enjoyed ourselves as it became funny... but for the record our highlights included:

1. Three changes of room on arrival, due to lack of "executive room" benefits. One had no wifi reception, one was promised as "with a view" and had a view of... a hilll ...
2. Best customer service excuses ever:
Why is the view you promised us non existent? "well, it says on my PC that there is a view". Would you like to come and see it for your self "no, I'm far too busy here".
Where are our (advertised as benefit of executive package) robes & slippers? "They are here, in reception, could you come and get them"
3. No TV remote.
4. No bulb in the desk lamp
5. Tea pot and cups not cleaned when room was serviced.
6. Thanking reception for replacing our TV remote, being asked by the guy behind the desk. "you don't have a Nokia charger, do you I'm out of juice"? Surely it should work the other way round!

The night we had dinner was absolutely excruciating, it included main courses that arrived within 2 minutes of the starters, an incredibly overcooked piece of pork which could not be cut with the knife... being told that it could not be overcooked because "we cook everything to order". To be fair, the main course was replaced with a perfectly serviceable fish casserole but we ate in relay! Next to us, a pair of ladies sent back their starter four (yes... four) times, and one of their main course once.

It's not all bad, though. The spa is still lovely, the pool is gorgeous, the steam room and sauna are as good as you will find in any hotel anywhere. The gym is excellent. The rooms are still very nice but not quite as clean as they used to be. And if you want a laugh, order the "guinness and chocolate mousse" in the restaurant, it will give you anecdotes for years to come.

If you are fussy on service, I'd give this place a miss for a while. It's gone from being a 4 star hotel with 5 star service and facilities to a 4 star hotel with 5 star facilities and 3 star service.!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

Our daughter got married at Donnington Valley Golf Club and I have to say that from start to finish the day went without a hitch. This is solely down to the organisational skills of a lovely young lady by the name of Berny who looked after us from the moment we first met her, several months ago now. She immediately put us at ease and obviously knows that attention to detail is a must when organising a wedding. Nothing was too much trouble. The club itself is set in lovely grounds and the food was superb! All in all a fantastic day.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
jmacg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

Went to Donnington last weekend for a one night 'weekend break' with my girlfriend. On first impressions this is a nice place - room was very nice (we had and execuctive room) and surroundings good. On arrival we had lunch in the bar - v.tasty BLT and a risotto (although rather expensive @ £10 for a BLT and chips!).

However it all went downhill after this. We were told our room wouldnt be ready until 3pm (which to me seemed quite late). After this we went to the spa and the jacuzzi wasnt working..a bit annoying. We went for dinner which was included in the price - service was good however the food was average and tasteless. I then proceeded to spend the whole night up 'being ill' due to food poisoning. During my 'illness' I went to run some cold water to cool myself off etc...our taps only ran HOT water. I then couldnt eat breakfast the next day. When I complained they offered no refund or partial discount...finally when we left our Taxi (which they ordered) turned up 10 mins late...although these complaints may seem small (some even trivial) , they added up to me being pretty dissapointed.

Our only other experience of going to a Spa is Ragdale Hall, which was exceptional. ...there is no comparison between the two. A few tweaks and this could have been a pleasant weekend. To me a 4* hotel isnt just a nice place - it comes with a level of service to back this up...Donnington did not provide this.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

I would recommend this hotel and spa to anyone.
Okay here are my pros and cons.
pro's:-
Hotel was clean,
Room was lovely
Shower was lovely
Lots of car parking
Swimming pool, sauna, steam room and aroma room good.
English breakfast was nice and the Head Waiter and waitress were friendly. we left some food on our plates and the head waiter asked if everything was okay, we said yes as we had just put too much food on our plates. He wanted to know so that if there was something wrong improvements could be made. but I would not fault the breakfast room and staff.

CON's
We arrived just after 3pm on Sunday, at reception one lady was on the phone and one man was just working away at his computer in front of us, he didn't say boo to us. Just kept on doing whatever he was doing. I found this rude as he could clearly see we had come to check in and that his colleague was busy but did he say hellow did say please hold on and as soon as his colleague came off the phone she would check us in - no he blatantly ignored us.

So then she finally came off the phone after what felt like 15 mins of standing there but was only about 10 minutes, checked us in, gave us 3 room cards to enter our room and on our way we went up. We got to our room and all 3 cards did not work, so I went back to reception where she apologised and programmed our room cards, so along I went back to our room and they still didn't work! So one my friends saw a cleaner on our room and she tried our cards and they still didn't work but she used her key and let us in to our room.

So I called reception to request 3 new room cards and explained the situation and she said okay i wll send someone up with new cards. We waited and we waited and after ten minutes I called again and again explained our situation and the chap on the phone said okay I am sending someone up and finally someone did come up with 3 working room cards.

I don't find the reception staff friendly at all. Oh and once we got to the pool area we say a sign that the jacuzzie was out of order so I asked the reception and asked when it woudl be repaired by and she said it has not been working for the last 4 days and I thought to myself - well thanks for letting us know! And she said it may get fixed on Monday (the day we leave) - great. And low and behold just as we were leaving at 4pm on Monday it was working as the workman had been in on Monday to fix it.

But they didn't even give us money off, a free meal nothing to apologise for the jacuzzie not working.

This is a good hotel don't get me wrong but just a few little cons there. Is a very clean hotel and I would recommend this. Hopefully when you go the jacuzzie will be working.

Ush