Spend 4 days there. Absolutely gorgeous property. On the first day, we did not get an early check-in so had to wait until 3 for the room. Went into the delightful town to kill time.N ewbury is a 10 min easy drive way, but cabs are crazy expensive. Exhausted by the time we got back so did not notice that the Classic room was tiny and had a very small window that a good view of the golf course though. Next day got a GBP 25 per day upgrade to Executive Room with a large doors opening into the golf course, free internet, etc, then it was much better. Better to be on the golf course side and not the road side. There is some traffic on the road so might keep you awake. The property is very nice. The breakfast in the morning is generous with full hot and cold buffet. Would highly recommend that you include that in the room rate since there is nothing else near by. The staff is fantastic, with a chatty Guest Relations officer; 71 year old Roger William; and a very upbeat reception staff (Sabrina, Judy etc). They will help you plan your day, give directions, print out maps etc. The counter can get busy with a lot of check-ins so be patient. There was a wedding party when we were there but there was no noise or inconvenience in the room.
The spa has good quality gym, sauna, steam, jacuzi and an Aroma room (first for us!). They don't have swimming gear so bring your own or buy it from Newbury.
The golf course is good but not championship standard. It is definitely worth playing and at GBP 25 it is cheap. It is a friendly course with not too much pressure on the game. The back 9 is tougher and you sort of don't expect that after a relatively easy front 9. The 15th and 17th holes are really tough. The par 5, 15th has a steep downhill first shot, steep uphill, blind and dog-leg second shot and a sharp down-hill approach shot. All the greens a very fast (at least compared to Asia) and highly unpredictable. The par 4, 17th has a tee off from a height with an easy carry across a pond but landing area is pretty small. All over the course, if you get it on the fairway the ball will bounce forever, so better to use a shorter club and find more of them. The pro-shop is very friendly and so is the bard.
All in all, a fantastic break and can't wait to get back
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by glorious hills and stunning parkland, Donnington Valley Hotel and Spa is a natural blend of charm and elegance with uncompromising quality and countryside views. Home to 111 bedrooms, Donnington Valley is a privately owned 4-star country hotel in the heart of Berkshire with a state of the art spa and 18 hole golf course. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, LateRooms, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Hotel.de, HotelQuickly, HRS, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Donnington Valley Newbury
- Donnington Valley Hotel Newbury
- Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa Newbury, Berkshire