“Ignore the website”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Ignore the website”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Booked a night for my wife as a weekend away to visit Highclare Castle. On arrival I was not best pleased. The reception has damp patches on the walls and the roof was leaking onto the reception carpet. The surly receptionist grunted directions to our 'suite' on entering the suite I took all of five seconds to turn around and go back to reception and complain. It is obvious that they have one good room and that's what you see on the website as our 'suite' was a large room with a bath within that room and separate bathroom, the bed was straight out of a 70's hotel......it was made of bamboo!!!! In fairness the manager offered to reduce the rate but the full price of this room was £240, I got it on offer for £170 and he offered to reduce to £130 with a bottle of champagne. However, trust me you could get a nicer room in a nicer hotel, closer to the town centre by staying and the Premier Inn 200 yards away.

Room Tip: Yes, stay somewhere else or pay for the room shown on the website.....it's their only one
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Jamie M, General Manager at Newbury Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2012
Dear them0ssman

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that the room was not what you expected and not to your taste. We do however get a lot of requests for this room and this is the first negative comments I have recieved. I have spoken to the Head Receptionist regarding the issues that you had apologise for this.
I do hope that in the future if you wished to return that you contact me personally and I will ensure a relaxing stay with us.

Jamie McDonald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Me & my husband stayed here the night of our wedding and we loved it. We had stayed there a few times before to check it out. The Riverside restaurant is absolutely amazing, the staff have such a passion for food and the chef produces some amazing dishes. Great bottles of wine on the menu which the waiting staff are happy to recommend. The hotel itself is quirky and has a quaint old feel to it. Really nice touches in the rooms like home made cookies. They were very happy to make me a sandwich at 12:30am when we came back from our wedding venue!!

Room Tip: They are all good size rooms, some have hot tubs. The one at the top is massive and looks over the R...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissMidge
Dear MissMidge

Firstly can I congratulate you on your recent wedding. I am proud to read the kind comments you have made and have passed these onto the team here at the hotel. I do hope I can welcome you back in the near future.

Great Missenden
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My husband & I stayed at this hotel last Saturday night as part of my 40th birthday celebrations. When I booked the hotel, I was pleased that they had a wheelchair accessible bedroom but wasn't asked if I required twin / double. On arrival, the room was arranged as twin but the Manager very swiftly rectified this for us. The room was clean and the bathroom nice and big. My husband and I enjoyed a couple of pre-dinner drinks and then sat for our meal. To say the food was amazing doesn't do it justice. For very reasonable prices, we enjoyed the best meal we have had in a long time. Service was excellent, the restaurant light and airy. Our meal was above all our expectations. Breakfast in the morning was also very good quality. The only minor fault was that the hot water took so long to get to the taps in the bathroom that we gave up waiting and had a lukewarm wash.

However, I would recommend this hotel & restaurant and we will return in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Demzi

It is a pleasure to read your kind words and these have been passed onto the team. I look forward to welcoming you personally to the hotel on your next visit.

south east
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Thank you for such a lovely time - great food great service. Great place.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear millyfp3

Thank you for your kind words. I look forward to welcoming you back soon when hopefully you can join us for afternoon tea or a bbq by the river.

cotswolds
Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

This place has a beautiful setting, in its own grounds with the river running through and quiet despite being so close to central newbury. We only stayed one night but I can imagine sitting out on the deck outside the restaurant on a balmy summer evening would be amazing.
Room was spacious with a jacuzzi in the room but it could do with a bit of an update and painting throughout.
Rate was pretty good though and it was a relaxing spot so will consider a return visit. Not bad value overall. Could be an absolute goldmine with some investment

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank bollingerbetty
Dear bollingerbetty

Thank you for your kind review. I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel now that the weather has improved so that you can experience our outside dining at the river bar and also enjoy our new BBQ area beside the river.

midlands
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We visited this hotel due its close location to my sons who unfortunately could not put us up. We had visited before and loved the hotel and its location. This visit we had a room that overlooked the back car park and the hot tubs beneath our window and this was noisey on the morning when we wanted a lay in. The rooms over looking the rivers with balconies which we had previous were much better.
Breakfast what a disaster.........having read a previous review on 12th April nothing has improved. we had to ask twice for tea and coffee and our order for breakfast was taken at 9.30 at 10.05 they came to clear our table we had not had our breakfast the waitress looked confused we had a pressing engagement so could not wait any longer so got up and left. I really feel that this length of time is very unacceptable there seemed to be plenty of staff most spoke very little english and some were hard to understand most of the time they seemed to hang round not aware of what was going on around them.This hotel needs to get this sorted or I feel it will lose business. The paintwork on the outside of the riverside bar needs to be looked at lots of bare patches, the decking could also do with a coat of staining.
Must say this was a very disappointing visit wish I could be more positive and because we will be travelling down this area a lot in the future Im unsure if I can trust this hotel to come up trumps again. We had considered booking our sons wedding here as well think it may be back to the drawing board......

Room Tip: choose one with a balcony
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sashyMidlands
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Arrived late at the hotel after being stuck in traffic, check in was seamless. Bar had closed and room service had finished but they still offered me a drink to be sent to my room should I wish and brought up a lovely glass of wine. Room was large and clean. Bedding crisp, white, clean and bed and pillows overall very comfortable. Good powerful shower which is always nice with plenty of hot water. Breakfast in the restaurant overlooking the water was perfect start to my day. Free parking also and very central location.

Room Tip: There are stairs up to each floor didn't see a lift so if that's an issue ask for room on gr...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank gem03x
Jamie M, General Manager at Newbury Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear gem03x

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to read about your positive experience and thank you for this. I hope that I can personally welcome you the next time you stay at the hotel.

Kind Regards