“Superb friendly hotel: don't tell everyone!”

Newbury Manor Hotel
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 22 December 2012 via mobile

Been going to this hotel for a few years now and what a superb hotel.
I have been to hundreds of hotels 3 star,4,5 star but this hotel is on par with the best.
Can't complain about anything, amazing rooms of all types.
Restaurant is 5 star.

• Stayed: August 2012
Jamie M, General Manager at Newbury Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2013

Dear Cribbsy

Thank you for your wonderful review. All the team enjoy to read such nice words and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

There are newer reviews for Newbury Manor Hotel

Reviewed 10 December 2012

Stayed in November , Had a terrific room at the top of the house, very comfortable. Had dinner in the restaurant , excellent and then breakfast , wonderful setting looking over the canal and river.
Recommend this Hotel to anyone plus the restaurant and helpful staff

Room Tip: Stayed a few times all the rooms have been great.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Dear GOOSYGOOSY

Thank you for your kind words. It is so pleasing to read all your great comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

Stayed here last week for a well needed break with my partner. Felt thoroughly spoilt. Gorgeous Food, Lovely staff and prompt efficient service and the added bonus of our own hot tub. The room was clean and well presented with plenty of towels and dressing gowns for extra comfort. Could not recommend enough! easy to find, plenty of parking.

Room Tip: pick a hot tub room for that something extra special
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Jamie M, General Manager at Newbury Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2013

Dear LAM1201

Thank you for a fantastic review. It is so pleasing to read your positive comments and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

My wife and I stayed last night. I wanted a bed and breakfast arrangement in the area. The room was to a very good quality, clean and well equipped, quite spacious and good lighting. The dinning room is quite delightful, the breakfast was as good as it gets and presented by very pleasant staff.
I would go out of my way to stay here again.

Room Tip: sk for room 15!!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Dear Discus268

Thank you for your kind review. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

We used your River bar and restaurant on Sunday 18/11/2012.we were a party of 6 the menu was very appealing and fantastic value then we saw your set menu and was amazed at the value we all ordered our meals.when it arrived we were very happy with the glorias sight just amazing the look and then the taste was fantastic.All your staff were very good at their job's the restaurant was clean fresh and very well presented beautiful setting's we were not rushed and the staff did not hover over us.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peter121059

Dear Peter121059

Thank you for your kind review. It is always a pleasure to read comments like this.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 10 November 2012

I stay at the Newbury Manor for business. It's certainly leagues better than the Mercure Elcot Park which is a country house hotel which fails to deliver on many levels and which comes across as very poorly managed.

So the good things about The Newbury Manor:

• Setting: next to a river with a weir and some lovely gardens - very picturesque
• Food: evening meals and breakfast are of good quality and plenty of choice. Food is cooked to order, none of the hideous heat-lamp buffets and pathetic toasting machines which so many hotels think is acceptable.
• Large sittings for group dinners (20+ people) really well organised with name-cards which have the 3 courses written underneath so that the staff can see what you pre-ordered and don't have to constantly interrupt your conversations to check.
• Flexibility: one of my colleagues has specific dietary requirements, they managed to accommodate her needs really well.

The things which could be improved:

• Rooms: these are now looking very tired and things don't work. For example on my first stay the shower screen was useless and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't avoid flooding the bathroom floor. The 2nd time I stayed the remote for the TV didn't function at all, there was a constant noise of water tanks re-filling throughout the night (it was an attic room). The complimentary cookie jar with home-made cookies (nice homely touch) fastener was broken so all the cookies were soft and inedible. My colleagues room the distance from the toilet to the loo roll holder was so far she has to stand to get it!! All these things would/should be noted by housekeeping and flagged for maintenance to repair. I wonder why this hasn't happened? Why are the team not "thinking customer" as they perform their duties, they must know these rooms intimately?
• Decor: is really old-fashioned and not in a good way. My 2nd stay was in a room which I nicknamed the Kon-Tiki Suite, as it contained 70/80"s bamboo bed and furniture which was so wrong for the country house setting. Wall decorations are generally confused throughout the property. It's a country house hotel, decorate it as one or do as many have - blend the decoration with uber-nodern contemporary designs which offer an interesting relief.
• Bathroom layout: in my recent stay the mirror is positioned over the toilet, some 4 feet from the sink. I'm assuming this room wasn't designed by a man who has to shave! A barber's circular hinged mirror would solve the problem here and would be a minor investment. The sink which is narrow has a glass shelf positioned just at the right height to hit your forehead as you wash!
• Service in the restaurant was painfully slow on the evening we ate there and dishes were served luke warm which means food is plated up and then left sitting in the kitchen. It look us nearly 2 hours to have 3 courses and we're not slow eaters.
• Staff: some greet you, some don't. The best example of this is when you pass reception first thing in the morning on your way to the restaurant. I have had a very energetic "good morning sir!" from one member of staff and been watched and verbally ignored by others on different stays.

So, in conclusion this is an OK hotel which with a few tweaks and some investment (not just financial) could be so much better and be raved about by every single guest; guests who feel they've enjoyed a beautiful setting and a product/service to match the setting.

I hope they take the challenge as it has so much potential to be better.

Room Tip: I can't recommend the Kingsclear room - with a bamboo bed as used by Thor Heyerdah to sail the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Dear Corporatedrama

Thank you for your review. It is great to read your positive comments and I thank you for these.

I have sat down with the team to discuss your various comments so that we can rectify these problems going forward. We are in the process of refurbishing all our bedrooms at the hotel, which I am sure will show us in a lot brighter light.

I apologise for our shortcomings and I do hope this will not put you off returning in the near future.

Reviewed 7 November 2012

Newbury Manor was a lovely venue for the family and friends (total 14 people) 'get together' in the evening, after an entertaining day at the races (15 minutes easy walk from hotel). The pre ordered evening meal was excellent,chosen from a menu offering good variety.
Breakfast was equally as good. Service throughout the stay was very good, with staff helpful and friendly.
5 of the 6 rooms occupied were of good quality, however, avoid room 7 -it is in need of renovation and heating would not adjust, which made comfortable sleep difficult.
Otherwise hotel recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Dear sarah H

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. it is very pleasing to read your kind words and have passed these onto the the team.

You will be please to know that we have just completed the renovation of room 7 so that it brings it up to the high standards of our other recently refurbished bedrooms.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.