“The Manager failed my simple test”

and 1 more site!
Newbury Manor Hotel
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Having selected this hotel on the glowing recommendations of other Trip Advisor contributors, let me add another perspective. The hotel is pretty spectacular as you arrive in the grounds.
I was optimistic, as I am likely to be a recurring visitor to Newbury, on business.
The receptionist was arm-wrestling with another guest, who clearly wanted to change her room, when I arrived, so I already ascertained that the hotel was fully-occupied.
I was allocated a room on the ground floor – the room was like a fridge when I arrived, but I was able to turn the heating up; the bathroom (even colder) had no heating; the double patio doors had a view of a grey concrete wall about ten feet away, and nothing else.
The shower completely failed to produce hot water in the morning.
The Wi-Fi and mobile phone signals were woefully weak and intermittent, in the room.
Dinner which I had reserved in the restaurant, took 75 minutes to emerge from the kitchen, amidst profuse apologies from the hapless and un-managed staff (the food was fine).
Upon checking out in the morning I asked for the manager, who had not arrived. The receptionist, having established that I wanted to complain immediately offered a £10 reduction from my bill, but that was the maximum allowed, or as an alternative I was invited to withhold my payment until the manager had called me later to discuss my complaints.
I elected to pay, on condition that the manager rang me next day, which the receptionist offered, and noted my phone number correctly.
Well, nearly a week has passed, and he didn’t bother…so sadly, here is my visit report, unexpurgated and the absolute truth, which is all you get from me on this site.
I’ll be fascinated to see if the manager bothers to post a response, or back-pedals through the paperwork and calls me.
So, fellow-travellers, if you decide to stay here, you know what to check before you accept your room allocation!

Room Tip: See above - try to get a room with a view!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 May 2013

The Newbury Manor Hotel is set in beautiful water filled gardens and is surprisingly peaceful considering how close it is to the busy A40. The decor in the room & bathroom were basic but it was well-equipped and the bed was comfortable. The restaurant was an excellent standard and the view stunning. the staff in both hotel and restaurant were very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.
One word of warning - if you are going to the Racecourse, as we were, it is most definitely NOT 10 minutes walk away. More like 20-25 minutes and not to be recommended in heels. Get a cab its only a fiver each way.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Just a one night stay. Hotel is a little old fashioned but room was huge with great view of river. All the facilities were good but shower was a little weak. Bed large and comfortable. Breakfast was in restaurant with stunning view, well cooked breakfast and friendly staff. Good stay

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Just a drop in stay at the manor house, the room was on the top floor and seemed ok, the bath had a spa bath but we didn't get a chance to try it. We ate in the restaurant, the setting is fantastic, and had the duck starter which was very good and then the lamb shank which was a bit salty for my taste, But that's just me being picky, the service all round was excellent and the room are clean and tidy. i would love fresh milk with the tea in the room. Breakfast was good and the full english worth having, good to go somewhere where they can cook black pudding. plenty on choice on the menu. Well worth stopping here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I stayed here while on a training course. It is a ramberling property in
beautiful grounds. It seems to be an old house with a modern extention.
I was lucky enough to have a room in the old part of the house that overlooked
the river at the front of the property.

I thought my room was wonderful, full of charm and lovely funiture. I would
happily stay here on a leisure break. I had a 'peek' at rooms in the newer
part of the building and they didn't look great, especially compared to the
rooms in the old part of the building. So I think I struck lucky.

My only critism was the 'free' wifi that I just couldn't get to work. This
was a big issue as one of the criteria for picking this hotel was for the
free wifi as I needed to work from the hotel room. I tried for 2 hours to
get it to work to no avail. I spoke to the reception staff a couple of times
to get help but they seemed clueless and didn't seem to care.

I had my evening meal in their restaurant that was situated on the river at
the front of the hotel. I was extremely good value for money and the service
was examplary! My breakfast was also at the restaurent and it has to be
the best breakfast I have had at a hotel. It's almost worth staying here
for the food alone.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel but be wary of the so called 'free wifi', if
this is important to you than find somewhere else. But make sure your room
is in the old part of the house.

Room Tip: Make sure the get a room in the original part of the building!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This is an older hotel and it does show its age. I stayed for two nights in April as part of a multi-country business trip. The hotel was within walking distance to the office, which was convienant. The first night, we ate across the road at the Swan -- they were short wait and kitchen staff so getting food took way too long. I tried the onsite restaurantt the next night, and had a really fabulous meal overlooking the river. It's been ages since I've had a hotel room that uses an actual key to open the door, last time being a property in the lake district. The hotel is comfortable and staff is pleasant. I would stay there again when on business.

Room Tip: Facing the river is nice as you get to hear it at night - very relaxing.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2013

This was our first visit to the newbury manor and despite living locally we will certainly be using it again for a break. The food and setting were divine, the rooms comfortable and the staff very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013