“Lovely grounds, good staff, great location”

Newbury Manor Hotel
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 1 July 2013

On turning out of Newbury towards the Newbury Manor Hotel, our spirits dropped as we saw the entrance to the Manor on the opposite side of the road from a 'Sizzling' Pub. However, on driving through the gates, we were instantly immersed in lovely 'Country House' -style grounds, with a river running through and trees and lawns surrounding. We parked almost immediately outside Reception (not usually possible) and entered an excellent old building which has been cared for and extended over the years. The young lady in Reception was welcoming and efficient and after checking in to a wonderfuly spacious room, we strolled across the grounds and the small bridge, to the Restaurant. In the afternoon, we strolled along the canal into Newbury - maybe a 20 minute walk along great scenery, which included one lock (always an entertaining watch, when amateur-piloted narrow boats are coming through).

The Restaurant has such a lovely aspect, situated as it is over the lake, that we booked our evening meal there, immediatelyl. Was this a mistake? - no, it definitely wasn't; the food was good and plentiful and although our waitress was never going to win first prize in 'Brain of Britain', nonetheless, she was abundantly cheerful and helpful and saw to our culinary needs, very well. The bill at the end of the evening didn't spoil the occasion, either - it was extremely reasonable.
Overall, we would recommend this hotel to anyone and fully intend to visit there again, at some stage, probably with a couple of friends who we know would love it. Unhesitatingly rercommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, as this venue does weddings
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I recently booked a last minute hotel to go away over the bank holiday earlier this year with my partner. We wanted a short break so didn't bother reading reviews on-line. Since going there I enjoyed the food, hospitality and surroundings so much I have decided to write a review.

It saddens me to read some of the negative reviews about this hotel as I feel that the value for money is absolutely outstanding. The grounds are very peaceful with water in almost every direction. The room was bigger than a standard double room and had a lovely balcony that we could eat breakfast or relax on in the evening. I have to say I was sceptical about the food as the menu was limited. DO NOT BE SCEPTICAL!, best food I have had in a very long time, and I eat out in good restaurants all the time. I would highly recommend the restaurant as the prices we so fair bearing in mind the quality of the food.

While we were there, it was just the two of us and there was a wedding on over the weekend. I have to say, I thought there may be too much noise from other guests but I slept like a hibernating bear and had no issues at all.

The staff were all very happy and helpful, whether it was late or early. Nothing was too much trouble! Thank you!

I was so impressed with my stay I intend to have another break there later on in the year.

Beautiful, Peaceful, Relaxing. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay!

JM - Very satisfied guest!!

Room Tip: Our room had a small balcony overlooking the restaurant and waterfall. Bliss!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Had afternoon tea. Was disappointed. At a hotel with this reputation the shop bought sandwhich fillings and dry bread was not good. The scones were solid and hard. Maybe an off day but really not what I'd expect from a hotel of this level. Staff were however very good and dealt with our feedback admirably and with good grace.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank EmmerD
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed for one overnight stay , but WOW beautiful Hotel ... The Restaurant is set upon the river .... Hotel set in a wooded area....
Breakfast had a varied menu , very pleasant .....Finally the room was very clean , spacious bathroom and a very comfortable bed .....
The Hotel i think is a must for a romantic Wedding .......

Room Tip: Room to the front of the hotel facing the river
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My Wife and I stayed at the Newbury Manor last week. We have stayed all over Europe and only wish we could take the customer service The Newbury Manor gave to us on all our Excursions. From the moment we arrived until departure ALL the staff were fantastic. The room (15) was beautiful, spotless and was maintained that way until departure. The River Bar along with its beautiful setting was excellent. Staff, food and the setting "Outstanding". Reception were wonderful as we wished to visit loads of different places and obviusly needed their assistance but every time we appeared we were greeted with a wonderful smile, lovely treatment, nothing was too much trouble. The only down side is that we live in Canada and will not be able to join The Newbury Manor and team more often. Thank you so much for your care .

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We stayed here in March 2013, and had a hot tub room. was well worth the money! ate the river bar which was fantastic. The grounds are lovely, and found the staff reallu helpful. Good tea and coffee making facilities with home made biscuits, and a flat screen free view tv.

Room Tip: Pay extra for hot tub!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We made a booking at this hotel to stay over the August bank holiday over a month ago based on the stunning look of the place and the reviews of the food on our romantic break. However this week they called us on Monday to tell us, in a very matter of fact manner and with no explanation, they were having "essential maintenance work done" that weekend and could no longer offer us a room. Very vague. This was quite late notice for a busy weekend. They offered to book us a room at another hotel (That I won't mention as it was not their fault) 2 miles out of Town (not the central location we were looking for as we would be without a car). We were upset but asked if we could have some time to think about it and look at the new hotels website. This was on Monday afternoon and we agreed to confirm on Wednesday. They called 5 times on Tuesday to try and hound us into making a decision claiming the other hotel were "putting pressure on them". This was the second time they had promised something and not delivered. Extremely in personable and terrible treatment.
It also occurs to me (having worked in a number of Hotels) that you would not have maintenance done over a bank holiday weekend, costing you a busy period and contractors don't even work then! Couldn't help feeling we had been moved aside for a group booking or in a double booking, the rushing us more likely to be the people of the group booking waiting to confirm.
Lies, pushiness, failing to deliver what they promise and impoliteness. We found somewhere else on our own. Perhaps for the best.
PS I have selected June as the date of stay even though we didn't get to stay there, but was when we had our interactions.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple