“Enjoyable stay”

and 1 more site!
Newbury Manor Hotel
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Husband and I stayed here for two nights in early September while in the area to visit Highclere. Hotel is in a beautiful quiet setting, although I would have liked to see more flowers! We had number 17 with a lovely view and balcony. The staff was friendly and helpful. Restaurant was fine,enjoyed sitting outside. We would definitely return if we are back in the area again.

Room Tip: Ask for river view

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stayed here a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with the hotel. Checking in was very efficient and friendly. We stayed in room 15 that had beautiful views of the river and the restaurant. It also had a balcony that was lovely to sit out on enjoying a glass of wine or two !!! We also ate in the river bar restaurant which has a great location situated between the two rivers, we were seated on a window table so could appreciate the location of the restaurant while enjoying their delicious food, which was also a very fair price compared to other hotels.

Overall we very much enjoyed our stay at newbury manor and look forward to staying there again soon, perhaps to visit Highclere castle on our next visit to the area.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I travel to Newbury a lot and hadn't stayed at this hotel before, but last night I decided to try it. First impressions were what a lovely well kept old manor house with lovely views. I received a friendly welcome from reception and headed to my room. The corridors smell badly so some air freshener wouldn't go a miss. The furniture downstairs looks a little out dated. The room was large but to cut a long story short (because the water was reported in the evening) I had a broken bed that tilted down at the shoulder level when laid down, the TV signal just broke up all the time so no TV to watch. No WIFI working in the room despite it being advertised and even a card with the password on it in the room. The worst thing was the water. I scolded myself twice because there was no cold water coming to the shower or bath. Bizarrely the hot tap valve rotates itself making it hotter and hotter but if you try turning it to cold the water just stopped (as there's no cold water pressure). I didn't get a shower last night or this morning despite assurances last night it was fixed. I have a 9am meeting and feel tired and dirty. Not what I need when ive just paid £120 for the privilege. I mentioned all this to reception this morning and all I got was a "sorry for that" - not even a hint of recompense. Not good enough. simple as that.

Room Tip: whilst rooms overlooking the rivers are nice for the view the small waterfall makes a lot of noise s...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tazzer8
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Beautiful location, you would not think you were just of a main road. Sat and had drinks on the terrace followed by a good meal in a lovely setting. The room had a balconette and was just fine. Would go again any time. Try to negotiate a deal for dinner bed and breakfast, this worked out £160 for two. Great value.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My 50th Birthday a few years ago was celebrated here with a surprise lunch and then a black tie party in the evening and the whole day was superb so I was looking forward to going back for my birthday yesterday.

Oh how disappointed I was. The restaurant was empty with very dim lighting but no ambience, I could not understand a word the waiter said, and when my main course of Beef Bougininon arrived, it was cold. The thick cut chips I ordered (I like chips and gravy!) weren't - they were fresh out of the freezer.

I asked for my meal to be reheated and commented on the lack of thick cut chips - when one orders these as a side, you expect them to be hand done from real potatoes.

So what did they do? Picked out the biggest chips from the same freezer bag and represented them to me.

The food was poor, the service was mediocre and the atmosphere was nil.

Believe me, this is not the birthday I will be remembering here

Reviewed 16 September 2013

This is a good, clean hotel although nothing fancy about it. Loved that it was set off the street, with beautiful grounds and a good restaurant with beautiful outdoor seating. We stayed here our first night, with a visit to Highclere Castle the next day and was great after a long international flight. Staff was helpful. Our room was very large.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Nice hotel but at £120 a night, even the cookies couldn't save them.

Everything was clean and tidy, fresh cookies were placed daily and the room was nice enough in general but it just seemed a little basic for the quite hefty price.

I have no objections to staying there again, and probably will do due to work commitments, however if it were my own money, I'd go to the B&B down the road at half the price.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business