“Needs alot of TLC”

Newbury Manor Hotel
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Wasn't cheap, just under £200 for 2 nights B and B so thought it would be good quality. Oh dear, room (29) smelt a bit damp, all the decor was very old and tired, bed very uncomfortable, awful cheap pillows. The staff were helpful though and food OK but they really do need to invest some money into this place!!! Where do you go nowadays that has carpet all the way through their toilets, how can they keep them clean!!!!,

Room Tip: Unable to do this as I really wouldn't recommend this place.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dobbsie2014

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed in the Newbury Manor for 4 nights on a corporate account, It's overall in a lovely location and nice scenery, I ate in the River restaurant every night and sampled something off the wide range they have on the menu, The restaurant which looks onto the river with the conservatory is lovely in the sunlight. Although the hotel looks pretty dated on the inside, It's a Manor hotel and that's what it's meant to look like right? Overall the staff were amazing and attended to every little attention of detail, especially the reception staff. Some of the rooms don't have a good view of much, but I wasn't too bothered about that. I'll be back in a couple of months :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view if your into that kind of thing.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank spikeyross
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My partner and I stayed here with on one of those voucher deals, one night with dinner, bed and breakfast for £100, which was brilliant value. Being completely exhausted, we really needed a break and this was perfect. The reception staff were fantastic, our room was nice and the bed comfortable. The only negative I would say would be the tiny shower room which my partner (by no means a big guy) struggled to even shave in, and that was with the door open. We had a three course meal in the restaurant which was lovely, paying extra to have the scallops and lobster which was well worth it. Breakfast was equally delicious, lovely homemade bread and additional options (I had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs) to a full English appreciated. Seated next to the river is so relaxing and peaceful it is the perfect start or end to any day.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa R
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My wife and I decided to choose newbury manor hotel to host our wedding on May 17th 2014. Throughout the whole process from organising food, drink and decorations to the day of the wedding the staff at newbury manor were fantastic. A particular shout out to Jamie McDonald ( general manager) who from the start until the end was attentive, organised and caring. The venue itself was great and on the day of our wedding the weather was perfect so we got to utilise the stunning surroundings that the manor has to offer. Overall I would thoroughly recommend newbury manor hotel as a wedding venue.

Thanks again guys

Sam and Jade Whitlock

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We booked the romantic break for our wedding anniversary.
I would agree with other reviewers that the hotel is a little tired and dated and in need of a lick of paint but of you look past that it is a haven of peace and we found it very relaxing. We were amazed that the hotel is so close to the busy A4 but we could not hear the traffic at all.
Afternoon tea was served in the Riverside restaurant and we were very lucky with the weather and sat outside by the river. The complementary glasses of Prosecco (as part of our package) were lovely and we enjoyed the tea, although if I had just come to tea and been charged £14 each for bought cake and scones I think I might have been disappointed and somewhat annoyed.
Our room had the hot tub and we spent lots of time over the two days in it. Having robes was also good. Our 'pamper hamper' was a selection of small body scrubs/ nail file etc again a nice touch but maybe the name is a little misleading.
The major strengths are the staff who could not have been politer or more helpful, especially the manager of the riverside bar, and the riverside bar itself with the wonderful river which we found so relaxing.
My
Recommendation is- look past the visual appearances and you will find a haven of tranquility where you can relax and enjoy the beautiful setting.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Firstly do not follow your sat nav we ended up driving through a housing estate and ended up in a cul de sac. But after finding it the hotels grounds are absolutely stunning with their very own river and weir, we arrived on a damp grey day so couldn't explore it as much as we would've liked to had the weather been more favourable. Arriving at the the reception we were greeted with a lovely young lady who dealt with us promptly.
Our room was more like a junior suite with a lounge area to relax and de stress from the long journey (including sat nav detour).
The room was very clean and tidy and our bed was a very comfortable king size with fantastic pillows. The only criticism I could make was our room looked over a rear yard area and not over the beautiful grounds at the front of the hotel. But all in all would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Stephen M
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I arrived at Newbury Manor on Sunday 5/11/14 for a 6 night business related stay.

The pros: I was instantly delighted to see that the manor looked exactly as it did on the hotels website. I had never been to a hotel so quaint, green, and a good kind of different from my usual Hilton and Sheraton business hotel stays. When I checked in Shanita greeted me with a pleasant smile and cheery attitude. I got my hotel key right away (it was an old style key, which I thought was quite novel and true to the character of the hotel). The manor did not have an elevator so I used my tiny muscles to carry my big bags up one flight of stairs to my room. The next day I was warmly greeted by Beata who had remembered speaking with me over the phone when I initially made my reservation. She was very kind and asked me how my stay was thus far and how my trip was going in the UK. My coworker and I ate a few times at the manor restaurant which was very good but a bit on the expensive side. Breakfast was decent (and included in the room rate), I would say the breakfast items included in the continental breakfast were subpar. The red berries were ice cold each morning making me think that the hotel purchased the fruit frozen and poured directly out of the freezer bag – too cold for my sensitive teeth to eat. The breakfast items you can order were MUCH better. My colleague and I were impressed with the eggs benedict and I enjoyed the oatmeal. The servers were all very pleasant and accommodating if I needed anything specific. The rooms were nice, with a beautiful view outside of the manor green property and comfortable. Also, each time my room was serviced they left delicious cookies on the counter which I enjoyed coming back to each day 

The cons: One of the major disappointments was the bathroom and the related plumbing. I never once (during my entire six day stay) had hot OR warm water. In addition, one of my faucets on the sink never worked, even after a maintenance check (so happened to be the hot one). I decided I couldn’t take a shower in the ice cold water on my first or second day and asked the front desk when the water could be fixed. Shanita mentioned they were having issues with the boiler (ahhhh that makes sense – the loud vibrations of the boiler the night before made me unable to sleep most of the night) and that they had someone out that day to fix it. That night, the water was hardly luke warm and had zero water pressure. I took a luke warm AKA cold shower with water that was not spewing out, but rather dripping out of the shower head. It was not a pleasant experience. The next few days I could only amp up myself enough to get one shower in… the water was just SO cold!!!! It was also a struggle to wash my face since when I was getting ready for bed, I would have to splash myself with ice cold water to get clean. I spoke with my colleague who mentioned he only got one warm shower in during our stay. I spoke with an additional colleague who made frequent trips to Newbury who mentioned this was definitely not an isolated experience of his…. he rarely had warm water during his stays – but since the hotel was so close to where our work was located, he bared with it.

Honestly, I adored the Newbury Manor and the wonderful service of the hotel staff, it really does mean well but I will not stay at this hotel on my next business trip in Newbury. As a woman, and having to wash long hair and shave, I can’t take the short cold showers my male coworkers were able to do. If I were the hotel owner, I would replace the plumbing and boiler since it appears to be a recurring issue that regular “fixing and maintenance” doesn’t seem to fix.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the water.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business