“Great pub ruined by terrible staff”

The Lock Stock & Barrel
Ranked #60 of 187 Restaurants in Newbury
Price range: US$4 - US$32
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, View, Kids, Groups
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Great pub ruined by terrible staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Lock Stock is a staple of Newbury and they know it. This pub would probably continue to do well enough to stay afloat even if they slapped each customer in the face on the way in. I stopped visiting this pub a long time ago after a cock-up with the food meant I got served non-vegetarian tacos and they refused to correct the mistake. After boycotting for a few years (during which the pub changed hands) I decided to return to the pub and wasn't especially surprised to find that not much had changed.

The decor has been revamped but the staff are just as rude as ever. The food is still overpriced rubbish and if they make a mistake you can be assured that it was your fault and you shall pay to rectify it, not them. A pub that charges as much for a single glass of wine as the bottle should cost should be able to put right their mistakes once in a while.

On my last visit a friend ordered me a beer. What he was given was not what I asked for, so went to the bar to ask for them to swap the beer. They refused. When I pointed out that when the mistake was made it wasn't me that ordered the drink, but my friend, the barmaid all but called me a liar. She vehemently claimed that I had ordered the drink and that I'd ordered something other than what I actually wanted. Yet I ALWAYS drink the same beer when I go to Fullers pubs. I ended up paying full price for another beer and she tipped the incorrect beer down the sink (she didn't even ask if I wanted to keep it!)

I've not been back since.

The crying shame of it all is that the beer is fantastic and the pub is in a beautiful location. With a personality transplant this place could be incredible.

• Visited November 2013

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good looking menu, food not so good..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Ordered pan-seared tuna with rice and some kind of salad. What I got was a tough/chewy tuna cooked all the way through, some grated carrot, and the icing in the cake: Uncle Bens rice. Maybe they think you can't tell the difference?
you can.
It's not hard to cook basmati rice in 15 minutes...
The food took 25 minutes. disappointed!

Warwickshire, United Kingdom
“Beer ok but Disappointed with food! ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Went here a few weeks agp with work colleagues.
Drinks and company was good, but disappointed in the food..
It was cold, there wasn't enough of it and it was over priced for what I got.... Shame.

Probably would use a again for a drink, but not to eat.

Newbury, United Kingdom
“Disappointing to say the least!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Came for dinner as there was a band playing. Food looked ok but was very disappointinng. Ordered steak & ale pie with mashed swede on greens and burger and chips. The greens were so hard I couldn't eat them and either the mashed swede or the pie had so much salt in that for the rest of the evening I had to drink loads of water. Kept waking up in the night thirsty as hell. Burger was only average in a cheap bun and the chips had been pre salted in the kitchen. (Not everyone wants salt!). After the meal went to the bar to order a coffee half an hour before meal service ended to be told the coffee machine had been turned off and they couldn't turn it back on as they were running chemicals through it! Great! Not only that but the price of the meal was too expensive for the food that was served. Never again!

Visited March 2014
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Average food at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

The good was okay - edible - but took a really long time to come . The tables were not cleared or cleaned . We ended up doing the tables ourselves. It's a nice pub for a drink but I think you could eat somewhere better for the money

Visited February 2014