“Warm welcome by all”

Hare and Hounds Hotel
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Booked for two nights to visit family in Hungerford wished we had made it for three by the time my wife and I left on Sunday after a splendid Sunday lunch at the Hare and Hounds.
The management and staff were very friendly and more than helpful the room was clean and comfortable and the freshly cooked breakfasts were excellent.
The Sunday lunch was booked for four adults and our two grandchildren aged 3 and 8 and the management and staff made sure ours and the children's needs were well looked after, the food and service was first class( I can recommend the sticky banoffee pudding for dessert)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rod S
hareandhounds, Owner at Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Rod

Thank you for taking the time to leave your great review.

We are very proud of our Inn and its heritage of looking after travellers and locals alike. However we never fail to be lifted by those who take the time to tell us all here that we are indeed providing a service and home from home feel that our forbears would be proud of. Soppy I know but it makes proud to be a part of 260 years of innkeeping!

Hope to see you again soon

Jonathan, Jean and ALL at the Inn

There are newer reviews for Hare and Hounds Hotel

Reviewed 14 March 2014

We booked here because it advertised free wifi throughout the hotel as, being self employed, this is an essential. Unfortunately reception was at best sporadic in the bar and non existent in the room. The management have subsequently been in touch and advised the problem has now been resolved so hopefully this will not be a problem in the future.
Putting this aside, there were no problems with our room and the breakfast was excellent. Would return on the assurance that wifi reception is good.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Allan T
hareandhounds, Owner at Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Allan

Thanks for your review.

I guess we are in a world where wifi is important, and we try as a small independent to provide it free, unlike some I could name. I fully understand the "I would rather pay and have it guaranteed" comments, but I do feel that our coverage now being recovered and indeed having invested to upgrade it, it is a good free service to provide.

I'm pleased as a fellow self employed person you enjoyed the rest of what we do and found time to note this!

Many thanks

Jonathan

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stay at this hotel due to being on a college course and I have to say it is brilliant from arrival to departure you are looked after in the best way possible the food is Devine the staff are so well mannered and make you feel so welcome rooms are upto date well maintained and exceptionally cleaned daily I wouldn't recommend any other hotel in this area it is number 1

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Thomas

It is equally our pleasure to have you and your colleagues stay. Thank you!

I especially enjoyed your mentioning the housekeepers. All too often forgotten and they do such a stirling job!

EAT DRINK SLEEP is what we do and its nice to see that you enjoy doing so at The Inn!

Thanks again for a splendid review!!

Jonathan and all at The Hare

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed at the Hare & Hounds on wet gloomy Sunday night in March, visiting Newbury on business. From the moment I arrived I found everyone I met was very friendly, helpful, courteous and accommodating - during checking in, at the bar and in the restaurant, all the service was outstanding. My room in the Cottage was warm, cosy and immaculately clean. I ate in the restaurant where the food was evidently home made and excellent (Spicy Parsnip soup and Fish Pie), and the prices were sensible. The freshly prepared breakfast, included in the rate, set me up for a long busy day. Wifi was free so I could take care of emails before hitting the road. It was all great value. Some of the major hotel chains ought to send their staff here for some training on how to do it right! Next time I come to Newbury I know I don't need to look any further for a comfortable night than the Hare & Hounds

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mike

What a lovely review, I shall be proud to read it out at our meeting and I already know that all here were very happy to read it.

We shall look forward to your next visit and aim to ensure it is equally enjoyable.

Many thanks again

Jonathan, Jean and all at The Hare

Reviewed 4 March 2014

On arrival a lovely warm friendly welcome, the accommodation in this beautiful old hotel was a delight, the restaurant food was delicious but the 'Old Man' beer in our opinion is the best in England. The staff were friendly, helpful & an absolute asset to the hotel. For us this was a wonderful experience & when next in England will make a detour to stay & eat again, again & again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are special & because of the age of this beautiful building the stay will be a del...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Borderwalker

On behalf of all of us at The Hare and Hounds and also Dave Maggs and all at West Berkshire brewery! Thank You

I shall never tire of hearing, and indeed giving, praise to the wonderful people that work with us here. It is far from an easy job, but we are lucky to have a great bunch and together they make a hard job look that little easier.

Thank you again and we hope to see you on your next visit.

Jonathan and all at The Inn

Reviewed 18 February 2014

On the face of it, this was a lovely place to stay, with a good over all feel to the main building. The motel style room was pretty basic - a good sized bed, one chair, one stool, small desk. The wi-fi was free, but inconsistent - it dipped in and out which was annoying. The bathroom was large, but no-where to put your sponge bag except on the floor (one tiny shelf just big enough for a shaver) - a shame because the room was plenty big enough. The bathroom was pretty shabby, really, in need of updating. The worst thing was no hot water for a shower in the evening - I expect it was a busy time, but hot water is so essential. It was fine in the morning. There was no hairdryer either, even though the literature said there was. The room was very pleasant and plenty warm enough. As is often the case, the staff make up for the lack of facilities, and here they were a pleasure to be with. The food in the restaurant was keenly priced, and very acceptable. Smallish portions, but nice not to feel too stuffed. It was a good menu, well balanced, and not a hint of a burger! Service in the restaurant was just right, efficient without being pushy. Overall it was OK, and I would stay again, mostly because the service was so good. The rooms were not as good as Premier Inns, and that's the market it's in. They definitely need to do something about the boiler and get the water right.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
hareandhounds, Owner at Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Sir

I should firstly apologise for the points you raise. I am very pleased our staff lived up to your expectations.

We do specifically ask on check out if everything has been enjoyed, whilst the majority are very happy, if there is a problem we hope to then be able to recompense and equally as important, put things right quickly.

I have to take issue I am afraid with your comments about your "basic" room, which was was refurbished last year and is featured on our website. We do feel it reflects our Inn and, given our rates include full English breakfast, we feel competes reasonable well with other like hotels in our area. (I hope other readers may click on our site link above to decide for themselves)

I am please to tell you that the problems that affected you with the intermittent water were fixed the day after a previous review, for the same week. The hairdryer I understand was replaced when you asked.

As with all premises of our age, we do sometimes encounter problems. However, we try to resolve such issues immediately we are told, and are only too aware that any failure in our standards reflects badly on us all here.

I can only hope that our previous reviews offer a good balance as too our value for money and the fact we care very deeply about our guests

My apologies once more.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed for one night here on business. Very helpful staff, nice room (we were upgraded) with good shower room, all facilities, and well presented. Breakfast was excellent and made for an excellent value stay. Good atmosphere and busy with businessmen and builders staying. Evening meal - best to stick to the standards and a little expensive, well kept beer. Much better than Hilton or Travelodge.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mnvalis

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review.

All reviews are read at our monthly meeting and it appears yours has become the rose between!

On behalf of us all here

Thank you again, we hope to see you again

Jonathan, Jean and all at The Hare