“Great weekend away!”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great weekend away!”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Went to Hare and Hound in Newbury as was visiting family member down there. The place looks really nice and there is plenty of parking spaces.

We went in and after a couple minute wait somebody showed up in reception and greeted us nicely. We received our keys along with Wi-Fi password and were told where to find our room. We went for the Cottage Double room, as on the photos it looked big and spacious, comparing to other rooms on the website. However, the room was still quite small. It had all the amenities and it was fairly clean.

We then went for a dinner to the restaurant and took advantage of the offer – Friday Grill, 2 courses for £16.50. We had the platter to share for starter and steak each for main. The food was delicious. Please bare in mind that you need to pay extra for sauces. We had a great sleep and the bed was very comfortable.

The breakfast was lovely – already included in the price. It was a full English breakfast and the bacon was delicious. You can help yourself to fruit, yoghurts, cereals, juices etc. Great value!

Overall, had a great stay in Hare and Hounds, however feel that the photos on the website are a bit misleading.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marta_8743
hareandhounds, Owner at Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hi Marta

Thank you for an excellent review! I take on board the photo comment, but should point out that the room you had is one of those we use in our web photos? I shall revisit it and perhaps retake the photo from another angle. We certainly try to ensure all photos are wholly representative so sorry.
The fact all else was to your satisfaction does I believe help reassure all others reading?

Thank you again, hope to see you return soon

Jonathan
Innkeeper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

stayed on Saturday night and had the winter break of a dinner up to £15 each bed and breakfast. wow was a fab meal food was lovely and atmosphere and staff could not be more friendly. we been here a few times but took my parents, they loved it especially the box of milk tray on the bed.

full English breakfast next day was fantastic took. this is a fab pub/hotel in a good location and can walk to town. staff are so helpful and friendly and cant do enough for you. would def recommend staying here and a lovely area.

Room Tip: we stayed in rooms 3 and 5 newly furbished and all clean.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Dougal14

Thank you for your fab review!
We were so pleased that your parents were happy and enjoyed the free chocolates that you earned as a thank you for booking on our website link at the top of the page.

We hope to see you all again soon

Jonathan and all at The Hare
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Reviewed 30 March 2014

What a lovely place. I booked a table for eight of us some weeks ago deciding on the 2.00 p.m. sitting. I then got thoroughly confused and thought I'd booked the table for 12.30 p.m. so arranged for us to all arrive about 12.15 p.m.

There was a bit of a blank expression from the staff when we arrived but fortunately it was a lovely day and we all sat in the garden. The staff looked after us so well, sending a waiter out to take our drinks order and keeping us informed as to how things were going in the restaurant, and they managed to get us all seated just before 2.00 p.m.

The menu choices were lovely and the quality of the food was fabulous - £15.95 for a three-course meal on Mothering Sunday was excellent value.

One of my daughter's is heavily pregnant and can't eat shellfish so the staff very kindly gave her a larger portion of smoked salmon without the crayfish. They also let her know that the citron tarte contained uncooked egg - all very commendable and added to the excellent staff service

The pub is having a huge extension later this year and we are really looking forward to going back and trying this lovely pub again

Thank you to all the staff for giving me a lovely Mothering Sunday surrounded by my lovely family

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
hareandhounds, Owner at Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Hi Banbury Lady

Good Value, Good food, Good customer care, but the nicest part is that we made your Mothering Sunday that little more special!

We were packed to the rafters and to see so many happy faces made all the hard work that goes in worthwhile!

Thank you again and see you soon we hope

Jonathan, Jean, Claire and all at The Hare
Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Booked for two nights to visit family in Hungerford wished we had made it for three by the time my wife and I left on Sunday after a splendid Sunday lunch at the Hare and Hounds.
The management and staff were very friendly and more than helpful the room was clean and comfortable and the freshly cooked breakfasts were excellent.
The Sunday lunch was booked for four adults and our two grandchildren aged 3 and 8 and the management and staff made sure ours and the children's needs were well looked after, the food and service was first class( I can recommend the sticky banoffee pudding for dessert)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rod S
Dear Rod

Thank you for taking the time to leave your great review.

We are very proud of our Inn and its heritage of looking after travellers and locals alike. However we never fail to be lifted by those who take the time to tell us all here that we are indeed providing a service and home from home feel that our forbears would be proud of. Soppy I know but it makes proud to be a part of 260 years of innkeeping!

Hope to see you again soon

Jonathan, Jean and ALL at the Inn
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We booked here because it advertised free wifi throughout the hotel as, being self employed, this is an essential. Unfortunately reception was at best sporadic in the bar and non existent in the room. The management have subsequently been in touch and advised the problem has now been resolved so hopefully this will not be a problem in the future.
Putting this aside, there were no problems with our room and the breakfast was excellent. Would return on the assurance that wifi reception is good.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Allan T
hareandhounds, Owner at Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Allan

Thanks for your review.

I guess we are in a world where wifi is important, and we try as a small independent to provide it free, unlike some I could name. I fully understand the "I would rather pay and have it guaranteed" comments, but I do feel that our coverage now being recovered and indeed having invested to upgrade it, it is a good free service to provide.

I'm pleased as a fellow self employed person you enjoyed the rest of what we do and found time to note this!

Many thanks

Jonathan
Bolton
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stay at this hotel due to being on a college course and I have to say it is brilliant from arrival to departure you are looked after in the best way possible the food is Devine the staff are so well mannered and make you feel so welcome rooms are upto date well maintained and exceptionally cleaned daily I wouldn't recommend any other hotel in this area it is number 1

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Thomas

It is equally our pleasure to have you and your colleagues stay. Thank you!

I especially enjoyed your mentioning the housekeepers. All too often forgotten and they do such a stirling job!

EAT DRINK SLEEP is what we do and its nice to see that you enjoy doing so at The Inn!

Thanks again for a splendid review!!

Jonathan and all at The Hare
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed at the Hare & Hounds on wet gloomy Sunday night in March, visiting Newbury on business. From the moment I arrived I found everyone I met was very friendly, helpful, courteous and accommodating - during checking in, at the bar and in the restaurant, all the service was outstanding. My room in the Cottage was warm, cosy and immaculately clean. I ate in the restaurant where the food was evidently home made and excellent (Spicy Parsnip soup and Fish Pie), and the prices were sensible. The freshly prepared breakfast, included in the rate, set me up for a long busy day. Wifi was free so I could take care of emails before hitting the road. It was all great value. Some of the major hotel chains ought to send their staff here for some training on how to do it right! Next time I come to Newbury I know I don't need to look any further for a comfortable night than the Hare & Hounds

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mike

What a lovely review, I shall be proud to read it out at our meeting and I already know that all here were very happy to read it.

We shall look forward to your next visit and aim to ensure it is equally enjoyable.

Many thanks again