“Problems with my food, but they sorted it out well.”

Cafe Rouge - Newbury
Ranked #34 of 191 Restaurants in Newbury
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Offering the welcoming atmosphere of a traditional Parisian bistro with a great selection of French inspired food to match. Whether it's a relaxing breakfast, a quick coffee with friends, a leisurely lunch or an intimate meal with loved-ones you're after, you're sure to find something irresistible. Decorated in a contemporary style, Café Rouge Newbury captures the essence of an all day social hub, perfect for any occasion. Our varied menu offers an exciting choice of dishes, from a great selection of petites plats, classics including Steak Frites and Moules and baguettes - ideal for a quick bite to eat when you are in a rush - to salades and desserts.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Problems with my food, but they sorted it out well.”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My wife and I decided to eat here for lunch. It was fairly busy but they had a table so no wait. The floor was what looked like hardboard. Not sure if this was temporary, but if not it looked terrible. We ordered our food and our starters came up fairly quickly and were very nice. For our mains we both order burgers. Mine was the more expensive one because it had different cheese. However, the cheese was quite thick and as a result, they have not heated it enough. What I was left with was mouthfuls of cold hard cheese which in turn made the burger cold. I complained to the waitress who apologised and said she would get me another. This was OK, but of course now I had no food whilst my wife had to eat alone. I suppose we should have sent them both back. eventually my food arrived and it was much better.

When we came to pay the bill the manager apologised again for the problem and took the cost of my meal off the bill. Whilst I would have preferred to have eaten with my wife, at least they made an effort to compensate me for the problem.

All in all the meal was not bad and we found the service to be quite good.

• Visited June 2014

BASINGSTOKE
“Great service , Good food , Great time”
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Great Manager Great service
Thanks for a good meal , I will be telling my colleagues and family how impressed I was with this restaurant

Visited April 2014
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Typical”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Fairly typical Cafe Rouge, not bad but not outstanding. Service was a bit slow, and the food was not massively hot when we got it. It's what you expect from a chain restaurant, really.

• Visited September 2013
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Good food let down by limited choice and poor service”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Tried to have lunch at Cafe Rouge, Newbury, and was very disappointed. The restaurant was about half full when we arrived and ordered at 1250, it took 10 mins for us to get drinks ordered. Being gluten intolerant I asked for the GF or allergy menu. What arrived was 5 sheets of printed A4 paper that had very limited choice at best and at worst was is confusing and doesn't give confidence or peace of mind that what is ordered will be safe to eat. Compnay policy i was told when asked!!

Having ordered two simple snack type meals (one a burger without bread) we had to chase at 1335 and asked 'where's our order?' We waited another 5 mins before deciding enough was enough and rose to leave. Miraculously the food arrived but by then not only was it too late but the burger I ordered arrived with bread. Not good at all. We walked out and in case you were wondering didn't pay a penny not even for the drinks. This is a restaurant that does not give any respect to allergy or food intolerances, I point not only to the shoddy allergy menu and lack of real choice therein, but more importantly to the lack of diligence and attention to detail offered by the staff. One to avoid at all costs.

• Visited June 2014
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Find an independent”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Never a big fan of chains anyway, but at least most are good for a cheap weekday meal out. I just found the selection here a bit poor and overpriced for what it is. The few French independents i've been to I have always felt spoiled for choice, and its a shame that imitation Italian, French and Spanish are flooding town centres at the expense of more personal venues.

• Visited February 2014