“Good Local Cafe & Bakery”
Review of Hethertons

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hethertons
Ranked #1 of 2 Bakeries in Newbury
Aldermaston, UK
“Good Local Cafe & Bakery”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We dropped into Hethertons for a bite to eat on Saturday afternoon after a spot of shopping in Newbury. We like to visit as it's not one of the mega chains, which now seem to dominate Newbury's Northbrook Street.

Our visit was very pleasant - Hethertons offers a good selection of hot/cold drinks, hot food, sandwiches (on various types of bread), plus grog of various descriptions if you fancy something stronger than hot chocolate. There is also a very good selection of cakes. Most of the pasty/sausage roll types of choices are made by the cafe, as are (I believe) a lot of the cakes.

Our choice of sandwiches and hot drinks were very nice. Service was a little slow, but pleasant. One little gripe was that we asked for a sausage roll as part of our order - the waitress was not sure if there were any left and said she would check. However, she never reappeared to let us know whether we were going to have a pastry experience or not (not as it turned out).

Aside from the little niggle above, we'll keep going back to Hethertons as the quality of food is good, service is generally o.k. and it is a local business rather than one of the large faceless chains that now tend to dominate our High Streets.

• Visited January 2014

“Convenient and friendly”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I like to support this friendly bakery so decided to drop in with a friend for brunch. The waitress was helpful and brought a sample of a new spelt loaf for us to try (delicious), whilst we looked at the menu. We asked for bacon rolls but were told they only did bacon sandwiches so we both asked for wholemeal bread. We'd almost finished our drinks by the time the (burnt) bacon sandwiches arrived - very disappointing! There was plenty of bacon but the bread was dry and for once in my life I left the crusts and only ate half of the sandwich. I asked to take the rest home because I was embarrassed to leave it - the birds enjoyed it but even they left the burnt edges... I felt like asking to talk to the person making the sandwiches to explain that if you're having a bacon buttie it should have some of the bacon fat or lashings of butter spread on the bread and why not offer a roll - that's what they make and sell.... This is a busy little cafe with friendly, helpful staff but I'm not rushing back there!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Lorraine A
“Ideal for quick stop”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

A quick working lunch was what I wanted and although almost all the tables were occupied, I was found a table for two very quickly. Within minutes a waitress came over asked if I would like a drink whilst I reviewed the menu. Ordered a coffee and it was delivered very quick. I placed a simple order of a tuna sandwich for which I was asked if I would like it plain, with sweetcorn and/or with mayo. Although the waitress was taking care of all the tables she did not rush me, being polite and attentive. My order was with me within minutes and FRESHLY made!!
My visit was unhurried and I left with time to spare for my meeting. Overall a very pleasant experience, I will certainly revisit.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank travellingmanW7264MH
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Extremely bad service. Don't go!!”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Been there for breakfast and lunch and each time I go there (friend's suggestion), the food sucks, so basic that it lacks flavor. The worst part was the service is terrible! The waitress are extremely rude and hold a long face as if they don't want to be there.Very unfriendly but the worst part was they work sooo slow. Dont be fooled by this small bakery thinking it will be a fast takeout, a Jack Potato alone tookd them 15 minutes for my order and was not worth the money. Waste of my time!

• Visited March 2013
Hungerford
“Waitress Service which is excellent and goes down well in my books :-)”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We use Hethertons mainly on a Saturday Morning for an English Breakfast or mainly for coffee and cake. we like the quality ,prices ,friendliness and above all the Waitress service which is excellent ,as too many chains and other coffee houses make you queue up before you find a seat and to me that spoils the ambience and treat out .Well done Hethertons you deserve the five stars without any hesitation.

• Visited February 2013