“A gem”

The Watermill Theatre
Reviewed 30 June 2014

A characterfull small theatre set in lovely gardens. We've been a couple of times and while the quality of the productions has been a bit variable, the setting has always made the trip worthwhile. We lunched in the restaurant this weekend before a matinee and the food was pretty good. It's not going to win any Michelin stars but it was tasty and well-presented, and served by exceptionally nice staff. Good value too - two courses plus wine, coffee and service came to about £20 a head.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

lovely building and very well worth a visit if Newbury. As part of a weekend in Newbury decided to see a play on a Friday. Very enjoyable experience

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Must see venu in West Berkshire. Well sign posted from A4 with plenty parking. Throughly enjoyed the experience

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Went here last week to see "A Bunch of Amateurs" (very entertaining). Loved this really interesting and highly unusual theatre - absolutely fascinating place, set in lovely gardens. Had a very good lunch in the restaurant, where the staff were friendly and attentive (food was delicious). Had a good day out and enjoyed every moment. If only I lived nearer - I'd be there for every production!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I went to see "Sense and Sensibility",and although I am a great fan of any Jane Austen play I could not wait to get out of the Theatre. I was seated in the circle at the very back and it was so uncomfortable and hot.I am not surprised it can seat 220,as the audience is packed in like sardines. I agree with some reviews calling it charming and enchanting but comfortable it is not!
Unless I had a seat in the front row of the stalls I would not even consider going there to another production.