“A good value lunch”

The Barn at The Hare & Hounds
Reserve with OpenTable
The Barn at The Hare & Hounds is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 193 Restaurants in Newbury
Price range: US$16 - US$29
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: OUR Stunning Oak Framed restaurant The Barn has fast become one of the areas most popular dining venues since opening in 2015. With our unique charcoal grill/oven BERTHA being the star of our menus, our friendly & professional staff are the stars “on the floor” Our menus are cooked fresh and we have monthly Gourmet Weeks, including our Famous Lobster & Strawberries Festival late June till mid July. Specialising in grilled food doesn't mean we haven't got some superb other seafood, fish and vegetarian dishes and we happily cater for gluten free and most other dietary requirements. Add in our real "pub" bar, serving local real ales, quality wines and more! We really hope welcome you to The Barn and The Hare & Hounds soon! AND if you need to stay over, we have 30 modern ensuite rooms!# We hope to welcome you soon!
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This was a family get together lunch, at a convenient restaurant midway between bases, so an hour and a half for both groups. It is very convenient for the A34 and easy to find. The restaurant is quite old and various barns look as if they have been converted into hotel accommodation. We had with us an elderly 92 year old lady who is still walking but uses two sticks and is not very mobile, this proved to be a place with lots of small steps in and out of the restaurant, which was a bit difficult for her. However the staff were very friendly and helpful and we had a very good lunch, good variety of choices all well cooked and no great delays in service and a very good espresso. It is good value for money food in a comfortable atmosphere which will be enhanced when they get their new "Barn" eating area built to bring the place up to a more modern level of facilities. For ladies of limited mobility I should point out that your "Ladies" is up a couple of flights of stairs, this again will change when the new building works are carried out.

hareandhounds, Owner at The Barn at The Hare & Hounds, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Olsier54

Thank you for your review. As a 260 year old inn, our layout is not as user friendly as some more modern venues, but we are pleased that our food and service more than overcame our foibles for you!

"the Barn" our new restaurant and wedding extension is due for completion November and we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Jonathan and Jean

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I ate here last Saturday and the place was full which gave a good indication that their reputation was deserved. 7 of us had 2/3 courses each and everyone had nothing but praise for their meal. My only complaint, if you can call it a complaint, was that possibly they could cut back a bit on the size of their chip and salad portions! Very pleasant and friendly staff and a good time was had by all. The 7 of us eat out regularly and will certainly be returning to this very reasonably priced restaurant.

1  Thank SueHO
hareandhounds, Owner at The Barn at The Hare & Hounds, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear SueHO

Thank you for a lovely review. It sometimes gets forgotten that the hard working folk here read all our reviews and we indeed discuss them at our monthly meeting.

I can assure you that we all really appreciate your taking the time to review us, and we look forward to welcoming you all back soon

Thanks again

Jonathan and all at The Hare

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I arrived at the hotel & was greeted by a very friendly member of staff. When I reached my room (18) I found it very dated with dirty carpets & chipped furniture. The restaurant staff were very friendly & helpful but when the food came the quality was below average, the piri piri sauce had no flavour & the wedges were cooked within an inch if their life. When the second batch came they were a lot better but I wouldn't say wedges were their forte. It's a lovely little hotel but could do with a little updating.

Dear AP

I should be happy as I was the "member of staff" who checked you in!

The issue with your food will be addressed by our new Head Chef who starts this week and comes from an illustrious local background. Having said this we all make mistakes and we did so in this case, sorry.

The issue with your room I am afraid I feel has been treated to a little poetic license. Yes the chair has been chipped by mistake by a former guest and we will be repairing this. The carpet is not dirty but does have a mark where someone has left a iron a little to long. We will replace the carpet in the near future, but I hope it is understandable that in what are still difficult times, we have to manage our finances accordingly. I am confident that our housekeepers do an excellent job and our rooms are not dirty!

I do feel strongly that we offer good value and should you return I trust you relax and enjoy your stay

Jonathan
Proprietor

Reviewed 17 March 2014

The food is out of this world every meal cooked to perfection! After a few meals in newbury this is by far the best establishment i have eaten in years. Would seriously recommend this hotel to anybody in the local area. The staff make the restraunt have a great atmosphere and a friendly, comfortable vibe.

hareandhounds, Owner at The Barn at The Hare & Hounds, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Thomas

Thanks for taking the time to review our restaurant.

We all take great pride in our food and service, but as the owner the greatest source of pride is the friendliness and professionalism of those who work with us, our staff! I know they read all reviews so I will join in saying well done and THANK YOU all!!

Jonathan
Innkeeper

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Good freshly cooked food along with good service and though not used what appears to be a good wine list.

Dear Rod

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Jonathan and all at The Inn