“Never again”

Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
East Mids.
“Never again”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

First impressions were good, friendly staff in hotel and pub next door. Room was large and well set out. All seemed ok until bedtime, I think this was the bed that Lenny Henry used as a trampoline! Cooked breakfast was reasonable, but the 'continental' was abysmal - croissants in a bag anyone? We went for some food in the attached pub later and whilst the food was very nice, the service was chaotic. This wasn't the worst hotel we've ever been to, but it wasn't that that cheap and vfm poor.

Room Tip: Try the bed first!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Darwen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Stayed over for one night after attending a birthday party and subsequently meeting up with friends. The receptionist was friendly, efficient and helpful, our room was pleasant clean and tidy as was the bathroom and overnight was quiet even though near a main road. There was also adequate parking.
We would definitely stay there again when in that area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed here to go to a friend's birthday party in the area. The room was clean and comfortable, the staff were very friendly and professional. Very importantly, the bathroom was spotless - and to get a bath rather than just a shower in a budget hotel is always a treat. The lighting in the room was a bit dim for putting on make-up and one of the towels was coming unravelled, and those are the only picky things I can find to stay. I'd stay again if in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 23 January 2014

On arrival, my room was freezing. I couldn't get the heating to work. I asked the very helpful receptionist to help, she manged to get the heating on, but after a while it went off again and I couldn't restart it. The receptionist then gave me a different room which was warm and had a new heater in it which worked perfectly.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Never stayed in a premier inn before, but as it's good enough for Lenny Henry, it's good enough for me - and it was 40% cheaper on a Late Rooms deal.
The receptionist was friendly and efficient. My room was spacious, clean and well maintained. Once I'd sorted the heater it was comfortably warm, even though it was -2C outside. The bathroom was again, clean and nicely maintained. Really good hot shower.
The only issue was noise. A neighbour had their telly on at 3am, and from about 4am the road noise just builds and builds, the A4 being a very busy road. The double glazed window didn't seem to have any effect on the noise, it was almost like it was open ( I did check). I had earplugs with me and used them, otherwise I don't think I'd have got much sleep. The room I was in didn't face the road and was set back a fair distance.
Not sure I could recommend it unless you go prepared or are used to living near a busy road.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tikky110
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We had booked a room at the hotel for 24th and 25th December. Because of the stormy weather conditions we checked with H.O. if there were any problems with booking in late and was told the hotel was working as normal with no problems!
We arrived at 21.00hrs with the hotel in darkness (power cut some19 hours previous). We were shown into the hotel by an apologetic man with a candle as the only form of light who told us we could book in at the Best Western hotel for that night and check on the power conditions the next day.

Power had been restored at 02.00am on Christmas Day so we booked in again for that night. Next morning (26th Dec) we were first down for breakfast and on entry was asked what we wanted for breakfast i.e. two eggs one sausage etc. but with no menu. Cereals and coffee/tea being on a separate table (help yourself) the coffee being in a vacuum flask!

Selecting cereals and coffee we made our way back to our table only to find our main breakfast was waiting for us. The waitress saw what was wrong and reheated the main breakfast.

Under the circumstances of the power cut and associated problems I can sympathise with the manager and thank him for his efforts. However what was wrong with the information from H.O. and why did nobody telephone us?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuttonBob
Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The rooms are great, a King sized bed and a bath/shower in the bathroom. The location was nice for a getaway, but don't expect much else to do in the area without a car. We visited a couple of external restaurants by foot, but we had to be careful as there were no pavements once we were no longer on the main road. The service at the adjoining restaurant was a bit slow, but it was good food.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple