“My worst hotel room EVER!”
Review of Bacon Arms

Bacon Arms
Ranked #19 of 23 Newbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I stayed in the twin-bedded room 5 of the Bacon Arms and couldn't believe how bad it was. The room cost £72 for the night. It was as if I had stumbled onto the set of the ITV sit-com Rising Damp.

I arrived in the room after dark. The overhead ceiling light had three lamps but one didn't work. The other two had very low-wattage bulbs in that just glowed dimly. There was a table lamp which didn't work at all, and one bedside lamp with another low-wattage bulb. With all three bulbs glowing feebly I couldn't read the fire instructions and wonder if this is legal. You certainly can't read in bed. Everything about the room was depressing. It felt seedy and dirty.

The decor is very dated and I estimate the room hasn't been decorated for 15 years. Even then it was a DIY rather than a professional job. The carpet was so threadbare and filthy that I didn't want to take my shoes off. There's a hairdryer that doesn't work at all, and a modern wall-mounted TV which did. It's an old building and the floor creaks at every step. The floor where the wardrobe stands is sloping so much that when you undo the lock the doors both swing out towards you. The whole room gave the feeling that it hadn't been properly cleaned for years.

The worst area was the ensuite bathroom. A single overhead halogen bulb lights the room, although there was a shaving light over the basin once I discovered the hidden switch for it. The basin taps are those self-closing push ones usually found in public toilets. They were either full on or off. The toilet had a black hair on it and wouldn't flush. I had to keep filling the kettle to flush it. The bath was curiously raised on a high plinth which made it very hard for me to step into as an able-bodied person and I suspect impossible for the elderly. The bath contained dozens of small black objects, possibly dead flies. The fixed shower head over the bath was too low for a six-footer like me to use and I had to crouch awkwardly. The glass shower screen isn't properly fixed in place and swings out if touched. My bath towel had an unpleasant brown stain on it.

Breakfast was a disappointment. The one woman on duty was friendly but harassed, telling us she was on her own. There was good coffee, slightly stale bread to make your own toast in grubby toasters, and the cooked breakfast (one sausage, one rasher of tough bacon, two fried eggs, half a fried tomato, and some surprisingly good fried mushrooms) was swimming in oil.

These rooms are over a pub and part of the bar is signed as the reception but I didn't see anyone there. When I left I just left my key on the bar and had no opportunity to explain how I felt about my stay.

On the plus side the Bacon Arms is conveniently situated in the centre of Newbury and has a good-sized car park at the back. Will I return? Never.

Room Tip: Don't use room 5!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Colin M

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Myself and three of my company associates stayed there for 5 days. Nice rooms, great food, fantastic beer and a top quality staff. In an easily accessible location on the nice end of town, great central location for access for social or professional use. Nice and quiet in the rooms and free wi-fi. Would recommend unreservedly to anybody staying in Newbury or surrounding areas.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I had the pleasure of staying hear this July i was greated with a warm welcome, the property had been taken over a few weeks earlier although the decor could do with a little attention the new owner is hoping to address this as soon as the brewery authorise it .
The room i was given had a nice comfy bed cleaned daily i was short of tea bags so mentioned it and was sorted out with some straight away the breakfast was excellent a good choice available and i sampled the meals of an evening a couple of days the food was good and the service was fast the bar staff very helpful
I will be using this accomadation again It is great for access to town and has free parking for residents the locals are very friendly to

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Recently went on a stag night in Newbury and stopped for what we thought would be a quick pint in the Bacon Arms.

Pleasantly surprised to find ample indoor and outdoor seating, friendly welcoming staff, (despite us being a stag night that had spent a day drinking at the races) and a very welcoming bunch of locals, which is what has prompted me to write this quick review.

Enjoyed ourselves so much we stayed for several hours and went back for breakfast next morning. Despite being short staffed, the manager couldn't do enough for us and the fry up impressed.

Be warned though, the Karioke standard on a Friday night is quite high, (at least when there's no stag parties in).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

The B&B itself from outside looks very nice lots of flowers and a very nice ouside sitting area and it has a carpark around the back the inside is old fashioned but is still very nice the room a quite large and a big comfortable bed greats you when you get into your room the bathroom was also a grate size and the spa bath was good would have been nice to maybe have a shower guard and a stand for the shower head so you can have a shower if youd prefer the breakfast was nice too altho the lady who was serving didnt ask me what id like for my breakfast and just brought me out a full english even tho a menu of diffrent selections is on the table but all in all the place was nice and the staff were very friendly

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Stayed for two nights for Newbury races,and can't say how pleasant our stay was,nice comfortable,clean room.friendly staff,good hearty breakfast and free parking.also very well located for town and races.
Dave and deb from brum.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a break to attend the races. On checking in we were told there would be no food available due to staff shortages, we later found out the chef had walked out. We had booked 2 rooms for our party and we were shown to our room, which was on the ground floor outside, on entering it was very dark, even though the lights were on, the bed looked as if the duvet had just been thrown on and the TV was in the corner so that if you were in bed you could only see it from one side. When we went into the bathroom there was black stains all over the ceiling and on the tiles and the taps did not work right. On the whole it looked like it needed a good clean. The other room was no better and the floor in that room sloped down from the middle so much the furniture looked like it would fall over. When we went down for breakfast it was utter chaos, no one knew what anyone was doing. After seeing the breakfast we had ordered given to someone else when it did finally arrive only 3 of the party got theirs by the time the 4th breakfast arrived the others had finished, On the whole it was terrible and would not recommend this place to anyone. So Beware!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple