“Never Again”

and 1 more site!
Bacon Arms
Ranked #19 of 23 Newbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I booked three rooms, in order to attend a family function nearby, 2 doubles and a single. On arrival my wife and I were given a room within the main premises and my son and his wife, and my other son, rooms in what they call the stables.
Pleasant enough rooms in the stables however they were accessed from outside the rear of the pub at the same location where the 'smoking corner' was situated and they had groups of smokers talking and smoking immediately outside their rooms and doors. They had to walk through the 'fog, ..... And dogs, to access the rooms.
My room, initially was on the top floor of the pub however when we began to get ready for the function, having got ready for a shower, there was no water from the basin or the shower!
Having got dressed and reported the lack of water, the staff offered to move us down a floor to a different room, only to find that this also was without water! We were then moved to a third room where we were assured that there was water, only to find that there was only cold water!
A shower was impossible and we had to keep boiling the kettle in order to have a wash and to wash hair.
Arrived late at function.
Next morning we were informed that the water issue had been fixed within 3 hours of my reporting it and the problem had been in al residential rooms on the first and second floor.
There was no reduction in cost to take into consideration for our discomfort and lack of amenity and the full amount was demanded.
My first visit to a 'Marston Inn' and no doubt my last.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SkiptonCharles

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed here for three week's in all that time we found it to be great, not the smartest of places but the hospitality and friendlyness of the place did it for us. We will be going back. We found the food very good, Sunday roast is a must. Warren ans Sally did a great job in looking after us, go for the full English to start your day off to a flyer.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on business in october because it is close to my office. Never again.
The bedroom was clean and tidy but the bathroom was a disgrace. Dirty tiles and paint peeling off the walls.
The staff try but a bit more training may help.
The pub is owned by Marstons so come on guys spend some money and get this place sorted. It could be so good.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank wildriceman
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Stayed here while on a business trip for 5 nights in November.

I was in room 8, and by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

I don't even know where to start, but calling in fawulty towers would be an understatement. Rude staff, and very unhelpful when it came to issues with the room. Honestly the staff could of been a little more accommodating to guest instead of making excuse after excuse as to why things kept going wrong, "the building was 400 years old that is why things always break all the time" one staff member told us.

On the first evening I stayed the dinning room flooded, the stuff informed us that it had happened 3 times this mouth already. The morning after I was woken up by the fire alarm at 6.30am, again at 7am the next morning, and once again on morning number three the alarm went off while I was having breakfast. My cold uncooked breakfast.

As for the room, Oh there was a lot of issues with the room. Uneven floors, Unsanitary bathroom, cold shower that overflows, paint on the bathroom floor, dirty bedding, bad lighting, no hot water, no heating, holes in the roof, paint peeling off the walls, and so much more.

I could list a lot more things but I'll leave it there. And just tell you to never ever stay at the Bacon Arms. Unless you like things that don't work, or like cold showers and bad food.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jrae88
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

When I see mixed reviews I always try and give the benefit of the doubt and accept that sometimes, it's not possible to please everyone as everyone interprets things differently! On this occasion I wish I'd taken heed!!

The place is full of character with wonky creaking floors and beamed ceilings etc. That's where the charm finishes though. To say it's tired would be one of the greatest understatements written on Trip Advisor. The shower room was simply gross, enough mould to give Alexander Flemming wet dreams for many a night!! The shower had so little power it takes 20 mins just to wash your hair and I've got a crew cut!! The water doesn't drain away either so I now have webbed feet from standing in it so long. The bed, to be fair was comfortable but I still couldn't sleep because the windows didn't open, and with the heating on, it was way too hot. I'm guessing the windows don't open as it was at the front on the main road.

The breakfast was okay although the coffee was self serve and stone cold, and I mean proper cold. There was another warmer pot though so I did at least get a cup, however with just one member of staff, she clearly couldn't do everything for every one. I felt sorry for her but she was cheery.

At £72, I really don't know what Marstons are doing with their extortionate profits from this place because clearly none of it is reinvested in the facilities or staffing. I was assured I was in one of their better rooms but it was exceptionally poor value for money. I'd say that if this is 3*, Travelodge is a minimum of 5*. I wouldn't have been so harsh if it was more reasonably priced, I'd value it at £39 absolute maximum for B&B. And I mean MAXIMUM!!

So would I stay again or recommend it? No I'd NEVER stay again, but yes I'd recommend it......... To my competitors before an important meeting, my worst enemies, and my ex wife!!!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank DaveyBoy70
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Paid £69 for a double. Decor tired and room had a few small issues which manageress is working hard to resolve. Staff all very friendly and helpful. Fab bacon sandwich at breakfast cooked just like I like it. Good access to town and ample parking.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisAscea
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I stayed in the twin-bedded room 5 of the Bacon Arms and couldn't believe how bad it was. The room cost £72 for the night. It was as if I had stumbled onto the set of the ITV sit-com Rising Damp.

I arrived in the room after dark. The overhead ceiling light had three lamps but one didn't work. The other two had very low-wattage bulbs in that just glowed dimly. There was a table lamp which didn't work at all, and one bedside lamp with another low-wattage bulb. With all three bulbs glowing feebly I couldn't read the fire instructions and wonder if this is legal. You certainly can't read in bed. Everything about the room was depressing. It felt seedy and dirty.

The decor is very dated and I estimate the room hasn't been decorated for 15 years. Even then it was a DIY rather than a professional job. The carpet was so threadbare and filthy that I didn't want to take my shoes off. There's a hairdryer that doesn't work at all, and a modern wall-mounted TV which did. It's an old building and the floor creaks at every step. The floor where the wardrobe stands is sloping so much that when you undo the lock the doors both swing out towards you. The whole room gave the feeling that it hadn't been properly cleaned for years.

The worst area was the ensuite bathroom. A single overhead halogen bulb lights the room, although there was a shaving light over the basin once I discovered the hidden switch for it. The basin taps are those self-closing push ones usually found in public toilets. They were either full on or off. The toilet had a black hair on it and wouldn't flush. I had to keep filling the kettle to flush it. The bath was curiously raised on a high plinth which made it very hard for me to step into as an able-bodied person and I suspect impossible for the elderly. The bath contained dozens of small black objects, possibly dead flies. The fixed shower head over the bath was too low for a six-footer like me to use and I had to crouch awkwardly. The glass shower screen isn't properly fixed in place and swings out if touched. My bath towel had an unpleasant brown stain on it.

Breakfast was a disappointment. The one woman on duty was friendly but harassed, telling us she was on her own. There was good coffee, slightly stale bread to make your own toast in grubby toasters, and the cooked breakfast (one sausage, one rasher of tough bacon, two fried eggs, half a fried tomato, and some surprisingly good fried mushrooms) was swimming in oil.

These rooms are over a pub and part of the bar is signed as the reception but I didn't see anyone there. When I left I just left my key on the bar and had no opportunity to explain how I felt about my stay.

On the plus side the Bacon Arms is conveniently situated in the centre of Newbury and has a good-sized car park at the back. Will I return? Never.

Room Tip: Don't use room 5!