“Pretty poor.”
Review of Queens Hotel

Queens Hotel
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Grubby, dusty and tired bedroom. Disinterested and bored staff. Fairly bland breakfast with no real choice in scruffy dining room. Sorry, but for £79 a night I expected cleanliness, friendliness, basic comfort and a choice of continental or full english breakfast.( There was a very tired full english ). This place let good british pub/ hotels down.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 11 October 2010

we used Laterooms.com after arriving at the flat we were supposed to stay in had no power, and chose the Queens for its central location in Newbury. The first thing we noticed was the loo was dirty, and the ring around it meant it hadnt been cleane d in a while, . While i was sat on the loo, i noticed that the towel rail was hanging of the wall and broken to. There was only one mug, one set of ear plugs (thats worring, when they already supply earplugs) one set of towels. The hairdryer holder was also hanging off the wall. Now, we have been lucky with plavces we have stayed and non of this was too important and the sheets were clean (yes I checked at this point) but then I couldnt find the remote, and looked in the top draw, no remote, but two pairs of worn mens undies! My husbaand went off to reception and we were shown into the next room. This was at least clean, except for the towel had what looked like tomato sauce on and the bathroom extractor didnt work, which when you share a loo with a vegetarian, you know is important. I later realised why there were ear plugs in the rooms, the bottles were noisily thrown into the recycleing bin outside out room at a bout 1.00am and the noise from the town was horrendous. The guy who had shown us our new room nodded at me when i said i would expect a discount for the distress and inconvenience, but when my husband checked out they refused saying we already had a discount by using lateroom.com.

Having stayed at the Bacon Arms and the Chequers Hotel at the other end of town and the Hilton North in Newbury before, I will be going back to them should I have to stay in Newbury again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PurpleSheep13
Reviewed 25 July 2010

We didn't stay at this hotel but only ate their food - what a dissapointment! I really wish I'd read the previous reviews before going there but we choose it as it's near to the cinema and we needed dinner before a night out.

The menu is a pretty impressive large pub menu with a really wide range of choice. We waited about 40 minutes for our meal despite the fact that it was late in the night and we were the only people eating. When our meals arrived I couldn't hide my dissapointment, the portions were tiny! I'm not a big meal eater but I expect dinner to come on a dinner plate not a side plate.

I chose grilled sea bass and my partner choose chicken melt. My fish was the smallest portion I've ever seen and I'd eaten it in around 5 mouthfulls. It was supposed to be grilled and accompanied by a large portion asparagus but I could tell the whole thing had been covered in cling film and nuked. Zero seasoning too so it was the blandest wettest thing ever.

My partner's meal was just ok. The baked potato had no butter on it and could have been bigger but the rest was just 'alright'.

My partner was so hungry after his tiny portion that he wanted dessert which he hardly ever has ) but we were told the kitchen had stopped serving. What resturant stops serving when there are diners still eating? At the very least we should have been told that the kitchen was due to close when we ordered our mains just in case we did want desert or coffee. Needless to say we popped to the One Stop across the road to grab crisps and chocolate before the film.

This is such a shame as the building itself is beatiful on the outside and inside with oak beams and a spacious layout. It deserves to be managed by people who give a damn. If you can't do food just don't bother. Never again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RaeSteve
Reviewed 2 December 2009

I'm so disapointed about this hotel that decided to write a review here.
DON'T stay longer here than 2-3 nights, because after that time you will notice how terible everything is here when talking about clienliness and atidute to the client.
Just some examples:
-arrived in the room. Found somebody's hair left after shawing (don't even try to think after shawing what...) in the bathtube. Bathtube was blocked, so when you try to have a shower, you are standing in a dirty water all the time. Staff cleaned the bathtube only on special notice.
-there are cups in the room, but if you drink tea, nobody cares to wash your cups the other day. Even found dirty cups left from the previous client.
-I think they very rarely clean floors here. Ate cookie 4 days ago. Crumbs are still on the carpet in front of my bed. Carpet is dirty ir most of the rooms here.
-canopy above my bed is sooo dusty, that when i tried to move it, the cloud of dust felt on me. Sneezing...
-smell of oil and food goes into my room from the kitchen, so all my clothes I leave in the room smels like I spend whole day in the kitchen.
- seems that they are serving uneatalbe breakfast because they what you not to eat it at all. All year round they serve the same: toast, greasy omlet with no taste and the same cheapest yogurt. No choise at all. Coffee is terible - black water, not coffee it is. Ah! Forgot about "fresh fruid" for breakfast. This is how it works: they put a plate with 3 bananas 2 oranges 3 apples and whole, unpeeled pineapple on monday. This is a portion for a week. Tried that! If I take an orange and apple a day, on friday only rotten banana left, or no fruit at all, and that pineapple is here for 2 weeks already, not looking good at all :)
Maybe I'm too spoiled, but when I return to the room of this hotel after work, the first mind in my head is "THIS IS DISGUSTING".
So you will ask why I am staying in this hotel? In is in really good location - town centre, close to railway station, close to pubs. It has some style as it is in old building, seems authentic for me, decor is nice (just need some small details to fix and it will be fine), a little bit cheaper than other normal hotels here. But possibly I will not return here. Or maybe only for a short stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank LauraGermany
Reviewed 6 November 2009

Visited hotel for meal and late-night drink.
The sttaff were surly, the food was bad. The gents was disgusting, with a bucket of urine on the floor. When I complained....the manager was wheeled out.
He was drunk, and rudely told us that we could take it or leave it.
The sales prevention for the Queens of Newbury

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank TheAlleyCat
Reviewed 27 October 2009

The hotel failed to tell us about the building work that was ongoing during our stay. The manager was rude and tried to tell us it was our fault for water leaking on the floor. The room was ok although it tilted which was a bit strange. The bath was amazing although apparently you have to pay £129 per night for the use of the jacuzzi and the water is the slowest draining I have ever seen. Watch out for the step half way up the corridor. It is not highlighted and is extremely easy to trip over. If you want a cheap night and are really not bothered about an ounce of service and being treated as an inconvenience then this is the place for you!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2009

i have recently returned from a wekkend stay at the queens hotel . our room was spotless the meals were excellent , friendly and efficent staff . we are already planning a return visit and i hace recommended it to several of my friends .

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple