“It really is terrible. How unfortunate!” 1 of 5 bubbles

The RiverBar at Newbury Manor
Ranked #97 of 186 Restaurants in Newbury
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Tucked away in Newbury is the Newbury Manor Hotel, home to the River Bar restaurant. Set by the water, the River Bar offers exciting and innovative cuisine that is sourced from the best, local markets. The dining room is elegantly furnished and offers superb views of the hotel grounds. The a la carte menu offers dishes that are presented superbly, such as mushroom risotto with Sauternes jelly, sea bass with scallops and saffron mash and pork belly with toffee apples. Desserts are equally inviting; why not try the Newbury Manor Stranoffee? Three courses of this international cuisine costs an average of £35 per person.
London, United Kingdom
“It really is terrible. How unfortunate!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Today I tried this restaurant for the first time, and the experience was terrible from start to end.

FIRST IMPRESSION: The place is spiders and spider webs laden. We were offered a table next to the pond area by the window at first. Quickly I saw many dead insects and spider webs so I asked to switch to a table in the middle of the restaurant. (Okay, you can say that anywhere near the pond will attract flies and therefore spiders, so perhaps many will not mind or will tolerate that). However, inside the restaurants, we still saw MANY webs and spiders everywhere (mainly on the ceiling), it was off-putting to say the least and should not happen really. It does show the lack of care.

WAITING TIME: We arrived at 1pm and ordered at 1:05pm. We waited for an hour for the food (the food arrived at 2:05pm). It was unreasonable. The waiter did come to us to apologise for the wait, and I said "It is not your fault, but it has been 1 hour". He then said "it has been more like 40 minutes I just checked". (I didn't say anything to that, but I was thinking "excuse me, you are correcting a customer? I happened to check the time because I have somewhere to go to after lunch so I checked the watch. How unbelievable). *It is worth noting that a family of four came in sometime after us actually went to the bar and said they couldn't wait anymore as they were waiting for 35 minutes and took far too long. So clearly, customers were leaving as a result of poor management.

FOOD: The food itself was mediocre. Objectively speaking, the price (for value) is OK if you have a taste card (50% off a la carte menu). I ordered sea bass for main course, quoted "Pan Fried Sea Bass, Parmesan, Pea and Leek Risotto, White Wine and Tarragon Buerre Blanc 17.95". When the food came, a slice of bacon was on my fish. I do not eat meat, and although I did not make a fuss in the restaurant, it is wrong to have meat on there if it is not quoted on the menu (especially I checked the menu before ordering). There are muslims or others who can be offended/ do mind having pork or other meat on their food.

I really do not recommend this place. However, if you have read the reviews and don't mind the issues raised above, then it is your choice!

• Visited August 2014
5 Thank Sandy C

Murwillumbah, Australia
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The food here was top quality. The service was great. Would recommend it definitely. The outlook was really nice. Sitting beside the water watching the bird life. We had breakfast as well as dinner here. The breakfast was one of the best I had had whilst travelling.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank 19molly68
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Delicious lunch, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

The waiter and waitresses were really friendly and jovial. The setting is just beautiful, with a little bridge over the canal, surrounded by trees and geese and ducks pecking about quietly around. Good choice of food, good helpings and really tasty.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Ch0ccie
Rubellared
“Plenty of potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Beautiful settings surround this rather pretty restaurant on the river. There is a large decking area and the gardens are also beautiful.

Sadly the rest of the evening didn't live up to its first impression. Unhappy staff, warm food and rather salty dishes were quite over priced for the quality.

No separate children's menu or consideration for families and we repeatedly had to ask for extra items that were ordered. This was on a Tuesday night so they weren't exactly rushed off their feet.

Finally, I agree with the previous review, the whole place needs a good wash down. It's a real shame because it really is beautiful

1 Thank Rubellared
“Nice food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

The food here is lovely. Everything I ever ordered had an amazing taste. It a beautiful setting on the river. I feel it needs a bit of tender, love and care as the venue is in a perfect location. The windows are so filthy they look black. It needs some paint around the river bar. The grass had dog poo on it. The parasol had a big tesco label on it. The decking needs a big scrub. Just minor things that will improve the restaurant. When I was seated outside I picked up on all these things

2 Thank Emma S