“Wow, and please try the gravy!”
Review of The Smugglers Inn

The Smugglers Inn
Ranked #7 of 93 Restaurants in Minehead
Price range: US$0 - US$52
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Kids, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: The Smugglers Inn offers a cosy bar, a delightful restaurant and accommodation by the sea at Blue Anchor Bay in Somerset. We are on the edge of Exmoor and the Quantock hills and make a perfect base for walking holidays. The West Somerset steam railway runs through Blue Anchor and the station is just along the road at the end of the bay. Blue Anchor beach is a long sandy beach and is just across the road from the Inn.
Ottawa, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wow, and please try the gravy!”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

WOW!

First off, the food is absolutely incredible, and all made on site. Please, do yourself a favour if you end up there for a bite to eat... order something that comes with their gravy! That gravy was so good, I am not kidding. I must have mentioned their gravy to so many people, when I got back home, it's not funny. Also, if you can, go for the Sunday Roast, which is served early Sunday afternoon, where you can have your choice of slow cooked roast beef, glazed ham or turkey, along with yorkshire pudding, and a wide range of veggies to choose from. When I was there, I wished it was Sunday everyday, so I could have the roast!

The Landlord was super nice, and made us feel quite welcome there, and was great to chat with him about all kinds of things, including the pub and cottage themselves, Blue Anchor and surrounding areas, dogs (oh, he has such a sweet and gentle dog!), and just about anything you can think of. There were a couple of times I think I could have spent all night chatting with him and slow drinking either the local ale, or one of his huge variety of gins :) Also, he made it quite sure that if we ever needed anything in regards to making our cottage stay better, he would try to accommodate us, but was not needed, as we found the whole experience above and beyond our expectations.

You can tell that he treats his staff well, as they were always in a good mood and quite helpful, and it was obvious they were not just going through the motions... they indeed seem to enjoy what they were doing, took pride in their work, and were genuinely concerned about providing excellent service to the patrons... One of the chefs, (perhaps the head chef), has been working there for over 7 years, which to me, is a good indication that the work environment at "The Smuggler's" is top notch.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic food in friendly pub”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We booked a table for 4 people on New Year's Eve. The menu was varied and offers a wide selection of meat, fish and vegetarian options (majority of which were handmade). The mains were large and food was cooked to perfection, thoroughly enjoyed by us all. After our mains we decided we had to try the puddings and these were just as good as the mains. We all agreed that it was one of the best meals we had eaten in a long time and highly recommend this pub to everyone.

Bridgwater, United Kingdom
“Lovely building, nice food, lovely area”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Table of 6 of us including children ate here after walking along the promenade. Only having Fish n chips we weren't very adventurous, but it was good enough, batter was light and crunchy, although the fish seemed a little soft, but then I do prefer Haddock. Service was not fast so if your expecting fast food then go somewhere else, we were not in a rush but had to wait around 30 mins for fish n chips. Wasn't a problem for us and think they were possible short staffed, during the holiday period (in-between Christmas and NEw Year) its hard to judge staff required I would imagine so not harping on about that one.

Decor is lovely although the tables and chairs are a little squashed in, the alcove we were in if you were first in you were definitely going nowhere, I can understand trying to get more seats in the place but shouldn't be at the expense of the comfort of guests, saying that it wasn't uncomfortable just squished.

Beer was well kept, wine was good. Lovely place to visit all in all and very friendly staff.

Minehead, United Kingdom
“birthday party”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We went to The Sugglers for my daughters 18th birthday. She picked the venue and the guest list for 25 people. The service was excellent, the food was fantastic!!! I would rate it 100%. Simon kept in contact with us through out, helping us organise the party, the menu selection ,as we had 25 guests we gave them 3 choices of starters and mains. They assisted us with the birthday cake we brought with us, putting on the candles ( that we forgot ) the table arrangements was a choice between the both of us. Definently recommened it everyone, We will be going again!!!!!

• Visited October 2013
Ringwood, United Kingdom
“Average food , friendly staff”
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Had a meal here whilst staying at Blue Anchor holiday park and food was ok , my whitebait was good but bread tasteless , the rest of our food was ok my fish special of hake was nice but could of done with a bit more on the plate apart from the mash underneath and my wife's and sons steak was ok but overpriced at 14.95 as was nothing special and then couldn't pay by card as machine not working so lucky I just had enough cash to scrape through meaning I had no money until I managed to find a cash point the next day .

• Visited October 2013