“Lovely evening meal”

Ranked #9 of 97 Restaurants in Minehead
Price range: US$0 - US$56
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Smugglers Inn offers a cosy bar, a delightful restaurant and accommodation by the sea at Blue Anchor Bay in Somerset. We are on the edge of Exmoor and the Quantock hills and make a perfect base for walking holidays. The West Somerset steam railway runs through Blue Anchor and the station is just along the road at the end of the bay. Blue Anchor beach is a long sandy beach and is just across the road from the Inn.
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We visited this lovely cosy restaurant with Great menu & friendly staff. We had the beer battered cod, chips, peas and it was beautiful....light crisp batter! We also had various desserts which were all very nice....would certainly return

3  Thank Hoppynanny

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Extra gravy for £2.25 .... So yesterday I have a day out with my parents and cousin and take lunch in a rather ramshackle hostelry called the Smugglers Inn in Blue Anchor near Minehead. Good job I am on a diet. I selected chicken breast with extra savoy cabbage minus the mash and stilton sauce. My father had the same but with the extra bits. At first I couldn't see his cabbage as the two tablespoons were hidden by the chicken. So yes you got it I got four tablespoons. Thankfully, my snort of disbelief got me more cabbage. My poor cousin was less lucky with the 6 stalks of french beans although the baby baby lamb cutlets were I am told delicious as was the gravy, which was served in a small egg cup sized container on the side. She likes gravy so asked if she could have a little more. Another egg cup portion was provided (exactly three tablespoons) and to our complete surprise we were charged £2.25 for the extra gravy. General staff attitude at this point deteriorated as I complained. Needless to say they have been crossed off my list of suitable places for nosh. Oh by the way, my mother's pie and chips was good as were the mother care portion of vegetables that appeared five minutes later.

2  Thank Gazzakot
katherine G, Manager at The Smugglers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

As per your comments on Facebook, to my waiting staff and to myself, I will continue to explain our situation.
As your comment states you asked for EXTRA gravy, you yourself said that you were an ex chef whilst in my establishment and therefore you must know that if you want something extra then you have to pay for it.
We, out of courtesy, because you did not have mash or stilton sauce with your chicken breast gave you extra cabbage, and when you stated that there still wasn't enough we gave you more for no extra cost.
As our gravy is made from scratch and made to order, then we have to charge 2.25 due to the cost of ingredients.
I would like to state again, that making one of my staff members upset and uncomfortable in the workplace was not right and I feel that these issues could have been resolved in house if you had come to me first as I was only on the bar and would have been happy to listen to your concerns.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Once again we have visited the Smugglars with friends, as on my last visit I stated that the food was good, again all four of us had excellent meals.
We know there has been a change of kitchen staff but the standard has not dropped at all and if anything it has improved. Well done to Lauren and the other kitchen staff. Keep it up.
also the new management seems to be settling in well and putting their mark on the pub,
all for the good!
We shall be back soon.

2  Thank Maureen C
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Went twice whilst on holiday in Blue Anchor Bay, once for a drink and again for an evening meal. We selected this pub not only because it was close to where we were staying, but they were dog friendly in the bar and part of the restaurant.
The owner and his staff couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming and went out of their way to make sure we understood everything.
The new owners have only been there a few months but judging from the number there, both locals and holidaymakers, they are building up a nice clientele.
The wine was good and the evening meal excellent.
Can thoroughly recommend and would go there again.

2  Thank half_cab_fanatic
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Well simply brilliant
Fresh food cooked superbly what more do you want I will be back had the steak it was the best I've had in a long time thanks

2  Thank steve b