“Contemparary setting with traditional values”
Review of Alcombe Tandoori

Alcombe Tandoori
Ranked #11 of 98 Restaurants in Minehead
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Having the opportunity to eat out without the kids in tow is a rare treat and so we opted to try Alcombe Tandoori as when we had visited the area it had always looked appealing with it's modern decor, all very clean lines and comfy seating booths.
We were not disappointed in our choice of venue, the staff were friendly and attentive and the meals were delicious. The menu was varied and there was plenty of variety, whatever heat level you prefer your curries.
We will be returning, that is not in doubt ( whether we tell the kids about this one...well, jury's still out, sometimes it's nice to have a secret place!)

Reviewed 27 June 2011

Very bland food no atmosphere tastiest thing on menu was the nan bread !!! Can make better myself

1  Thank Rachelmh28
Reviewed 6 March 2011

My Wife and I ate here recently and had high expectations, given the other reviews on here. There don't appear to be many options in Minehead for curry fans, so I don't regret our visit in the slightest, BUT... I would say that I don't personally believe the high-scoring reviews are entirely deserved.

The decor and atmosphere are superb, and the service was both prompt and attentive. The menu is also great, offering some interesting house specials alongside the traditional dishes you would expect. Poppadums were fresh and crisp, and the relishes were also very nice. I ordered the Bombay Flame house special which was sadly not as aromatic, spicy or interesting as I had hoped. The chicken was neither plentiful or of an especially good quality, being abnormally soft and almost 'watery'. The dish was bulked-up with potato.

My Wife ordered a Passanda which was a faithful representation of the dish, despite the same, poor quality of meat. Rice and naans were well cooked and complemented the meal well. Presentation was very good throughout.

Overall then, the food was in my opinion; satisfactory, but I've enjoyed far better.

Sadly, the price of drinks is a real slap in the face. We paid around £14 for two cokes and two fruit juices! You might reasonably expect 'ringsting' to follow a visit to an Indian restaurant, but for different reasons perhaps.

This seems to me a crafty way of inflating bills. I can see the business sense in it all too clearly, but perhaps it's worth suggesting that a restaurant's long-term success will come from the food it produces, more than the 'clever' business strategies that might bring short-term gains that leave customers feeling sore and unlikely to return?

2  Thank TimGroombridge
Reviewed 5 December 2010

If you are a curry fan, then this Contemporary Indian is a must outstanding service/food

Reviewed 27 September 2010

Had a terrific meal here, wonderful food and great service, coming from the 'Curry Capital' this would feature in our top 10.