“Excellent Food”
Review of Gascony Hotel

Gascony Hotel
Ranked #10 of 37 Minehead B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 August 2012

During our recent stay at Minehead we noticed that the Gascony Hotel was serving evening meals so decided to “try them out” especially as on offer was a Sunday Roast offering a choice of two meats. I can honestly say we are glad we did. The service and food was excellent, the staff were very attentive and helpful, without being “in your face” and the food was excellent. My Mother and I opted for Roast Beef while my Farther opted for Roast Turkey, and both meats and the accompanying vegetables were excellent. You most certainly could tell the meal was freshly prepared and cooked (no packet items used at all). Even the deserts were all good quality with a very generous amount of apple pie being given. The hotel itself was exceptionally clean, although I must admit we only used the bar area but you could see that cleanliness was high on the managements agenda. The décor was in keeping with the period of the hotel, which is late Victorian and it was a pleasant surprise to see so many original features still in place - which in some old establishments are usually ripped out in favour of making it ultra modern. We certainly will be visiting the hotel again when we visit Minehead.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 July 2012

We visited minehead with the children to go to the beach , so we decided to stop at the gascony hotel for some lunch and i am so glad we did the hotel was exceptionally clean , the staff were absolutly lovely, welcoming and friendly, we ordered two childrens meals which were very good value and the kids loved them, then we ordered two hot meals 1 ham,egg and chips which you could tell straight away that the ham was fresh and locally produced it was excellent and we also had 1 cod and chips which was also fresh local fish and very genrous portions and great for the money, if we were to visit Minehead again i would defenitly re visit , and would recomened to anyone that is thinking of visiting minehead

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sammi P
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The Gascony is a charming and delightful family-run hotel well situated for all that Minehead has to offer. It is compact, being an old Victorian/Edwardian house, but does not have a lift to the upper floor. We opted for the disabled-friendly room on the ground floor which we found to be well appointed with twin beds and an en suite shower room with plenty of grab rails. We were amazed by how much drawer space there was; some hotels only offer a bare minimum for your needs. I wondered at first whether our room might be noisy, it being at the front overlooking the main road, but no, thanks to most efficient double-glazing it was quiet. There is more than adequate car parking for guests and the car park is locked overnight.
The menu was varied, offering a choice of several three-course meals with coffee served in the lounge afterwards. We found the meals to be of generous proportions, well cooked and hot. The staff, without exception, were helpful and friendly, and likeable. The cost of our stay was not excessive, in fact very reasonable.
If we return to Minehead for a future holiday, this is the hotel we shall stop at.

Room Tip: Talk to the receptionist and tell her what sort of room you want.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank clancyman
Reviewed 3 July 2012

a group of 12 of us decided to eat lunch at the gascony hotel as it looked so pretty from the outside and had a lovely outside eating area. The two ladies that served us were charming and very helpful, thats where the nice part of our visit ended. The lunchtime food was the worst I'd ever had and unfortunately with the exception of 2 of our party opting for hot food we were all of the same opinion. The sandwiches weren't particularly cheap in price, £5.25 or £5.95, the bread was a cheap supermarket brand (I think the value kind), it was stale and and didnt realise until I looked at my daughter in laws to be, it was also mouldy, very off putting when the rest of us had already eaten ours. It was served with with coleslaw which also tasted like a cheap value supermarket brand. There was a hair in one of the sandwiches and although taken away we are not sure if it was actually remade and there was no offer of a discount. My goddaughter had an orange squash and a lager and lime, which she said both had a very weird taste, on tasting the lager, I think the lime was probably old and had gone off, I assume again that the squash would have been a very cheap one and thats why it had a weird taste. The did refund the one sandwich that we found mould on. Its such a shame because although a little old fashioned but it looked a lovely place. I really think they need to review their products that they are using, and I feel they would get far more passing clientel.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We have eaten in the bar area of the hotel three times after visitors to minehead came in our shop and recommended it to us.Staff are very pleasent food cooked to order so yes you do have to wait but it is well worth it on second visit i had the plaice which was huge and delicous its well worth a visit

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank David B
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I had a lovely stay at the Gascony hotel , all the staff were so friendly and welcoming. they were also great with the fact I took my 10yr old son with me... Food was lovely and I would highly recommend it, (best dish was the braised beef), I would reccomend to anyone and I will be coming back again :-) thank you for such a great stay :-)

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Fluffygerbal
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I only called in for lunch, with my Mother and Brother. Since my mother does not eat large meals, we decided to order from the Bar Menu. The order for food and drinks was taken, the drinks arrived promptly along with the cutlery. Unfortunately, the food did not. We waited, and waited. Many other diners who had arrived after us, had already got their food.
Eventually, I said to one of the waitress, if our food would take much longer, and within minutes it was brought to the table!

I suspect, that it had been prepared, placed under a hot lamp or hot cupboard, and the staff had forgotten to bring it to the table. Although the food was still hot, my mothers piece of fish was very dry - consistent with being left for a long time in a heated cupboard. The Chips were also dry. Very disapointed, no word of apology. Deffinately would not go there again. Price was not good for poor quality.

Agreed it was a Sunday, and most other diners had chosen from the separate Sunday Lunch Menu. But my mother did not want two or three courses, so this was not good value. If they didnt want to take orders from the Bar Menu, then the establishment should have said before we ordered.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family