“Another enjoyable stay”

and 1 more site!
Gascony Hotel
Ranked #10 of 37 Minehead B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I had a four nights at the Gascony in September and as usual never had a problem, I have stayed here several times over the years and have always found the owners & staff to be very friendly and helpful and look forward to going back there soon

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Derek T, Owner at Gascony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you for your kind comments and support. It is always a pleasure to see you. We hope you have a wonderful rest of the Year and look forward to seeing you soon!
Many thanks again,
from Derek, Angela and all the staff.

There are newer reviews for Gascony Hotel

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Room was full of clutter, very cold, shower not working, no hot water, breakfast not worth getting up for. Meals were very over priced for small portions and unenjoyable. I wouldn't stay here again and don't recommend anyone stays here. Gfg

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Derek T, Owner at Gascony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Stayed in August and the room was very cold!? I don't think so! Not this year. This review has been posted or instigated by guests whom we charged an extra 2 nights for smoking in the bedroom, and is totally false. These guests never made it for breakfast and never ate at the hotel. I would like to put what I really feel about this but Trip Advisor would not print it. P.S. GFG stands for Good F******* Game, which these people are attempting to play.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed at the Gascony for three nights in September. We were very disappointed with the hotel. We did receive a warm welcome but our rooms were a disappointment - very dated with flowery wallpaper and past it's sell by date MFI type furniture. We were just B&B and after a mediocre breakfast we were very glad we did not have to look forward to an evening meal with them. During our stay the staff were friendly and helpful. There were notices up about a refurbishment in November but I'm afraid we will not be returning to see the changes.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Derek T, Owner at Gascony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I agree that the rooms you and your friends stayed in are dated, but these will be upgraded in November. However, our rooms are bright, airy, clean and well maintained. We are human, and do occasionally miss things, but on the whole they are good.
As for the breakfast being mediocre, with over 40 fresh, packaged and dried foods on the buffet, plus the menu choice of porridge, cheese, ham, bacon, sausage, tomato, beans, mushrooms and eggs (scrambled, fried, boiled and poached) tea, coffee, fruit infusions, juice and toast. We also provided vegetable sausages as I understand that one of your party is vegetarian. We have made other vegetarian dishes in the past with prior notice (stuffed mushrooms, potato cakes etc.)
For a 2 star hotel, charging 2 star prices, I would have thought this was more than adequate. As do previous reviewers.
Finally, I think it is wrong for you to comment on our "Evening meals" when you didn't try them. I myself have been the Lunch and Dinner Chef this year, producing thousands of freshly cooked homemade dishes (the only dish we buy in is breaded Scampi) with very few problems and a lot of praise as all the previous reviews have shown.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I took a chance and booked a group to stay in the Gascony for a week. It was exactly what we wanted. Run by delightful people - very friendly and helpful. All the staff really looked after us. Good food and a pleasant bar area to sit in after the meal. Great location - on Minehead main street and close to the seafront, station and bus stops so we could explore the Exmoor area from there. And great value. I would recommend this hotel for groups wanting to walk in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The hotel food ,staff and service were second to none. Drinks on the patio in the evening sun was heaven. The hanging baskets and planters brought a splash of colour and scent to our evening.i would recommend this hotel to couples and families alike.

Room Tip: All the rooms were clean and tidy .
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We have been visiting this hotel almost every year for the last 10 years, and my OH's family for more like 25!! We would not consider staying anywhere else in Minehead. You get phenomenal service, good food and a very warm welcome - a real home from home. Nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are spotless, with plenty of storage space.

OK some of the decor is a little dated - but I consider the atmosphere, the service, the cleanliness and the food far more important aspects of a stay. After all who sits in a hotel room looking at the wallpaper all day when on holiday?

I can only give this hotel a rating of 5 - I wish I could give it more. We will continue visiting this hotel, until the current owners decide to call it a day!

Thanks for another great stay & hope to see you all again soon!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Great central position to Minehead right between seafront and town.My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the Gascony the rooms were very clean and there was coffee and tea making facilities in the room which was most welcome. The staff were friendly without being intrusive and the breakfast were good. Would recommend you stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple