“Northfield Hotel. Minehead.”
Review of Northfield Hotel

Northfield Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Minehead
Reviewed 8 November 2013

The Northfield Hotel has changed hands since our last visit and is vastly improved.
The new proprietors, Chris and Stewart, have upgraded the rooms and the décor ,
bought new furniture, the whole effect is fresh and tasteful without losing the character of the Hotel. The gardens are beautifully maintained. The staff are great, friendly and attentive, the food was excellent with a good choice of Menu.
As you can tell we would recommend this Hotel to anyone, our room was tastefully
decorated ,the bed was very , very comfortable, and the bathroom was huge!

We celebrated an 80th Birthday whilst there and although there was also a Wedding the same evening, the attention given was as good as if our party of ten had been the only event.

Room Tip: Our room was brilliant, I won't tell you the room number or you will all want it and I shall nev...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Carol J

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the last ten years, at least three times under the new ownership. Yes, it's always seemed to have an older clientele but there's nothing wrong with that. It is a place for relaxation so if you want the highlife, loud music and teenage company - go to Butins.
Every new owner of a business thinks they can do it better/cheaper/get away providing less etc so we have watched the inevitable changes with added interest. The place was in need of some updating but equally some routines are part of the attraction eg afternoon tea.
Most of the changes have been positive, bedrooms have been decorated and new mattresses and new carpets seem to be fitted through out. The bar/lounge particularly has been refitted. It's always been a clean, comfortable hotel and it still is. Outside the grounds are well maintained to a good standard.
We have always found the staff friendly and pleasant and surprised to see any negative comments.
Unfortunately its not all positive. We found the standard of dinner not as good as previous stays with boiled new potatoes or oven chips served every time and pub-salads bulking out the starters we chose. Vegetables were basic and served plain. Go for desserts, which are not replaced, after 7.45pm and there's a very limited selection left. Yes, the portions have certainly reduced so If the Chef hasn't changed; his/her budget must have and it shows! .
Breakfast fortunately remains good . It's now great to have hot toast on demand so the new toaster is a great improvement.
Come on chaps, you're so near getting it right - don't neglect the basics. We do want to come back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yorkie69663
Chris L, Owner at Northfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Glad that you enjoyed your stay on the whole
But sad to hear that you think the kitchen are letting the side down, I can assure you no budgets have changed, we will look at improving the choice of vegetables and re-stocking desserts as required, pleased you appreciate the installation of a roller toaster so you can enjoy hot toast/muffins etc when you like
We hope to welcome you back to the Northfield in the future

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here over the weekend to celebrate our parents wedding anniversary, and would highly recommend this hotel for hosting any function or party you maybe planning. The rooms were of very good size including very roomy on suites, clean tidy and comfortable. All staff were friendly, polite and extremely accommodating. The building was very interesting and well maintained and the garden was very impressive. All round an excellent enjoyable stay and we will definitely be recommending this Hotel to our friends and family.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peter G
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We have stayed at the Northfield Hotel a couple of times in the past but were very dissapointed this time. At breakfast the waiters were not very friendly gave us the impression they were just there to do a job. Also at breakfast we had to make our own toast this I thought was very poor considering the price of our halfboard package. The menue for the evening meal was poor compared with our previous visits. We learnt that the hotel was under new managment and this may explain why we feel the standards have dropped. Though the Hotel is just as comfortable and clean but we did not find it as friendly as it was on our previous visits. But if you like residential home food and ambiance this is a perfect place for you.

Room Tip: We stayed in room No4 nice room but has a very small bathroom shower only.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert M
Chris L, Owner at Northfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Thank-you for taking the time to leave a review obviously we were disappointed to read it, there is no excuse for our waiters attitude it could only be as you point out we have just introduced a new toast self-service this week and at times it has been a bit stressful with guest's burning toast and trying to squeeze croissants onto the toaster, these seem to have been resolved and most guest's seem to appreciate being able to have there toast when they like it and the additional offering of croissants and muffins which were not offered before, we are happy to serve guest's toast if they are unable to or do not want to (you mentioned at reception that you serve yourselves at a BW plus hotel and it is because you were not expecting to do so at The Northfield was the shock)
As to price I do not believe for a spacious room with lovely garden views as well as along the coastline, Dinner, bed and breakfast plus afternoon tea at £140 for 2 people per night we are not over priced.
Our chef's are the same as have been here for the past 20 years so the food should not have altered in quality the only possible conclusion is that our second chef has been off sick for 2 weeks but that should not impact our guest's, menu wise hope-fully you just choose dishes that did not suit you last night it was roast duck, rump steak lemon sole or braised lamb not retirement home menu items! All the front of house teams are the same so I cannot understand why their friendliness has faltered.
Most of our reviews do stand up to us improving the Northfield we have lost a few people who do not like change but have gained more so hopefully you will give us another chance in the future

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I recently returned to the Northfield for the fourth time, and was not disappointed.
I am amazed by some of the poor reviews; those guests must either be very fussy or very unlucky.
The only thing I would slightly agree with is that when I checked in one receptionist did appear a bit 'frosty', and I did not have the offer of help with my luggage, as I have on previous occasions. But this did not concern me unduly. All other staff were very friendly, and helpful, especially the lady who found me a fan for my room when I found the nights rather warm! and the one who remembered I liked a Tia Maria and ice later in the evening!! Like being 'home from home!'
As usual the range of food was excellant and nicely cooked and presented,at both breakfast and dinner. Service was good.
I found the lounges comfortable and pleasant; those guests who found it 'old fashioned' most probably prefer the type of furniture one finds in Ikea, so if this is your preference, the Northfield is not for you! The hotel is in an ideal position for walking in Minehead and exploring the surrounding area, and so close to the exquisite moors (up North hill)
I will certainly be returning. For me, a near-perfect hotel in a wonderful area.

Room Tip: Having only experience of the two single rooms I cannot comment. Both are fine.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank catherinemetson
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Returned to the northfield for a 3 night break , we visited 10 years ago and to be honest we thought we had stepped back in time as we were welcomed as before with friendly staff, clean large room and good food . As an extra treat we were able to take our little dog into a smaller room whilst we ate which was better than leaving her in a strange room on her own. well done all at the northfield we won't leave it for so long next time we stay with you.

Room Tip: we had room 30 which was a delux but well worth the extra.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sheila r
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed for three nights with my mum dad and auntie last week. I don't normally do reviews but as i always use trip advisor felt for this hotel I should let everyone know how good it is. Hotel in perfect location only a five minute walk through lovely gardens to town and also has sea views. Rooms were lovely and they had just had a delivery of some beautiful new furniture- what comfy big leather chairs! The food at hotel was excellent- we had a four course meal every night and there was a fab varied choice every night. Breakfast also great- just felt so full everyday because I couldn't not eat it! However I went to the lovely pool abs jacuzzi every day too to work it off. The staff were really so lovely abs helpful- my dad wanted something off of the menu that he had the previous night as loved it so much and they dove it for him no problem. All in all a great hotel :)

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Mariethepea
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minehead
The Beach Hotel
#3 of 3 in Dunster
Old Ship Aground
Old Ship Aground
#3 of 37 in Minehead

Been to Northfield Hotel? Share your experiences!