“First class”

Alcombe House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 36 Minehead B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Four friends from Scotland, stayed for one night after attending a music festival in Minehead. Everything was perfect. The owners couldn't have been more welcoming and friendly, and the rooms were second to none. First class. Would definitely stay here again. Only gripe was that we were off too early to eat breakfast, which if it's of the standard of everything else in the hotel I'm sure would have been a delight.

Room Tip: No need, all the rooms are of an impeccable standard
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 March 2014

For a birthday treat we went along to the tea parlour and what a treat it was. An exquisite range of finger sandwiches, scones with jam and clotted cream and a delicious cake to follow. One of the owners, Frank was charming and made us welcome as we arrived. We were shown into the parlour, although we could have had our tea in the tasteful but relaxng lounge. The sight that greeted us was amazing. On the bottom tier of the cake stand was an array of finger sandwiches. Smoked salmon and cream cheese, lovely ham and cheese, coronation chicken etc etc....Tier two held two fruit scones and two plain scones along with a pot of clotted cream and some strawberry jam. Tier three held two quite big, beautiful cakes one was a fresh fruit tart and one looked like a chocolate work of art. Tea was offered and I think I counted 8 varieties. I chose peppermint and my partner chose Earl Grey. The table linen was cream and the china ( bone ) toned beautifully. We were offered top up tea. The hotel is delightful and has recently been up graded to a four star rating .... The cost of this very impressive tea was £25 for the two of us. I am already planning on taking a relative as I came away totally impressed. The venue would be ideal for so many different functions.... meetings, Mothers Day treat, the birthday surprise and also for the gathering place after a funeral. I cannot sing the praises of this place highly enough.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julie1950
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this little hotel now three times since the new owners took over as, i have friends near by. The owners frank and joe are always very welcoming, lovely breakfast, always have scramble eggs on toast just the way i love it! I have had three different rooms now two doubles and a twin as a took a friend one time, all rooms have enough space for a comfortable stay and the facilities are always working well. I have seen improvements since my first stay in the summer. Some people may choice a larger hotel as they think they will get better customer service etc, but i would choice this hotel anytime when im going to see my friends in minehead!! The area is beautiful on a clear day you can see to wales, the exmoor national park has the most amazing views great for photos. Defo recommed this little hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank blackheart13
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here for one night, visiting a relative nearby. We had a warm welcome from the new owners and the same room as I had on a previous visit. The heater had been turned on prior to our arrival so the room was very warm . Anyway, I think that the beautiful,old building and relaxed, calm atmosphere make up for the lack of central heating in the bedrooms. Also although there is no power shower the water is hot which is a must and the shower is adequate. The breakfast was very good, hot and tasty. My husband who usually chooses where we stay and had not been here before was very impressed with my choice! .

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda G
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This hotel is really lovely and the owners Frank and Joe made us feel very welcome. On arrival we were offered a cup of tea which was very nice and then we were shown to our room. There were chocolates awaiting us, a Christmas gift and card which were lovely little touches. Because it was the Dunster by Candlelight weekend they had placed candles all around the hotel and had two outside the main door to carry on with the theme. There was also the offer of mince pies and hot drinks when we came back from our night out which we gratefully accepted. Frank was very attentive and friendly and Joe kindly drove us into Dunster on the evening. The bedroom was very comfortable and we both slept well. The breakfast was good and the whole stay was really enjoyable. We would definitely recommend this hotel to others and would come back in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angela D
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I was recommended to this hotel for my four night stay.
It is run by the owners whose meticulous personal touch can be seen throughout the hotel. Visiting in November the room was pleasantly warm and comfortable and had a great en-suite. This hotel is different to the glitzy and formal hotels and suited me well. The breakfast, that is included, was great with a large number of choices. Price was very reasonable too for the comfort offered.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank PDMLondon
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Spent two nights here over the weekend. We had a great welcome from Frank who showed us a lovely room. However, it was very cold as there was no central heating. He put on a heater in the room and it was warmer when we returned a couple of hours later but in this day and age we expected more modern conveniences. The sitting and dining rooms were frigid which rather spoilt the ambience and the meal. We quite enjoyed the first night's meal and the breakfast next morning though we were surprised that there was no fresh fruit nor flavoured yogurt and the coffee was very weak. However, the second night's meal-which was supposed to be freshly cooked - appeared to be a bought in prepared meal. Frank was most helpful but we did not like the sopping wet windows in our room and bathroom and the shower was feeble. There was lots of hot water and the linen was all nice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eleanor S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minehead
1 mi away
#3 of 36 in Minehead
Waverley Bed & Breakfast
Waverley Bed & Breakfast
#16 of 36 in Minehead

Been to Alcombe House Hotel? Share your experiences!