“Simply WoW”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minehead
Butlins Minehead Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Minehead
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Simply WoW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

My overall comments sent to Butlin's on a recent feedback survey:

To Whom It May Concern:

We recently visited your Minehead resort and simply wanted to make the following comments:

I have a young family now and as a child all our holidays were always at Butlins, my wife had always gone to Centre Parcs which I have experienced in the last few years, however I wanted to show the wife what a great place for families Butlins was. Just to add to the magic I asked my mother who had also gone to Butlins when she was a child. It was a great choice, we stayed in great accommodation and everything about the whole holiday was wow, from the moment we drove in, to our farewell party in the skyline and even to going out the gates where we were wished a safe journey. My mothers final comments when leaving the resort was it bought back great memories of Butlins but how things are even better then prior years. Sorry to go on but we also walked around the whole resort trying to remember where things were from the days of 1982 onwards, this was then a great treat to watch the 75 years of Butlins show, which by the way was simply fantastic. However it made us think how some of the old things in Butlins past would be great to see back once more, such as the great granny competitions, and cutesiest baby, nobly knee, etc etc, these were all very simple but great days. Thank you for a great holiday and we look forward to booking in the Hotel next time as this simply looks WOW.

By the way the wife who had always been dead against going to Butlins, has now agreed that Centre Parcs is no longer for us and has asked me to look at the prices for 2012 in the Hotel, thanks for helping me to change her mind !!!!!!!

Kind Regards

Room Tip: The Lodges - Great accommodation & very close
1 Thank Stakis101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (786)
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2011

We booked this as a treat for our two year old since the arrival of her younger sister last year to spend some time together as a family and do the things that she enjoys.

We booked Silver accomodation, a bungalow as we didnt want to be lugging little ones and paraphanalia each day up stairs! was clean, warm and comfortable apart from the ants!

Park was clean and tidy, staff friendly enough. Yes everything is overpriced and they play on the parent pester power at every available opportunity but we expected that and wouldnt have gone if we couldnt of afforded it, Butlins do allow families to take their own food and drink in the skyline so even though we never we saw many families doing this for the shows to keep their costs down.

Brilliant Redcoats and shows for pre schoolers the entertainment we enjoyed was worth the money we spent alone.

Would return with our little ones.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Epsom, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

My daughter and son-in-law,( whose is abroad in the Marines ) and three grandchildren live in Somerset. I decided to collect the Sun tokens and get a cheap holiday caravan near them and have a week off work in May. My other daughter and son-in-law said they would like to join me, we all have very stressful jobs. So I set about booking it.
Imagine my surprise when they sent me a confirmation for BUTLINS in Minehead. I was very pleased. I paid the extra money and was all set to have a lovely time.
Unfortunately my father died and the funeral was on the 20th April, I nearly cancelled the holiday but my mum insisted on us going as I had been very busy sorting out all the arrangements and needed the break.
We arrived in Wiviliscombe in the morning and had a lovely day with my family, we then went to BUTLINS and arrived at 4.30pm.
I cannot fault the customer service, they were exceptionally helpful. I received the cards and paperwork for our apartment and off we went.
When we got to the apartment it took me while to take everything in. the cleaner was just leaving and asked me if everything was okay, I replied yes we were very happy.
The SPA shop was opposite and I thought great I can buy all that we need there.
We decided that I would have the twin room and my daughter the double room.
As we entered I noticed that the doors were covered in what I thought was chewing gum, when I looked around it was all over the walls and ceiling too, then I realised it was white tack, someone had obviously been celebrating as there was a 'ALOUHOUH' banner still on the sitting room wall.
When I put my cases on the bed to unpack , I noticed that the duvet cover had white stains all over it, fine I would just use the other one.
I put my shopping bag under the bed, and that's when I noticed all the sweet wrappers. I put those in the bin.
I then cleaned the doorless wardrobe as it was very dusty with a damp flannel that I had brought with me, and unpacked.
In the kitchen I noticed that there was a list of things that we should have, as I waited for the kettle to boil I thought I would check that we had everything I would need to make dinner.
Four cups - no three and one chipped
Four glasses - no three and one cracked
No tin- opener
No chopping board
The list went on and I could not find half of it.
We had a small dinner and went to bed early as it had been a very long day.
BANG BANG CLATTER the Warburtons lorry arrived at around 7am, BANG BANG CLATTER the Spa lorry arrived 7.30am
BANG BANG CLATTER the milk lorry arrived, the drivers had a loud conversation over the noise, all very entertaining if you like that sort of thing, EVERY MORNING.
We went to have a look around the site after breakfast and at first it seemed lovely, until you notice that the paintwork everywhere is peeling off and there is distinct sense of the place decaying around the edges of the centre piece. I did not see any of the famous Red Coats, they were probably busy in the entertainment sections.
On our way out to visit the town, I popped in to customer service to let them know what was missing from the apartment, very apologetic and offered to put things right, but as we had expensive lap tops etc.( insured ) in there, we asked if it could all be rectified after we had left on Friday as we did not want people in and out while we were not there.
We went into Bridgewater in the afternoon and I brought glasses, mugs and chopping board, small saucepan and a frying pan.
The rest of the week went very well, we did not see any of the evening shows as we did not know that you have to be seated at about 5pm for the 9pm shows otherwise you cannot find anywhere to sit, my daughter is pregnant and we did not want to stand up all night.
I understand that BUTLINS is a family holiday, but then why book us in there when we obviously are not suited to this type of holiday.
It was an experience, I know it was a cheap holiday, but I expected the standard to be as high as the caravan parks that I regularly go to.
We went into the dining hall for breakfast and knew that we would have to pay, but half the time we had to wait around for somebody to take our money when other people were telling us to got straight in and say that we were full board, they did.
I'm afraid that the experience has put me off ever coming to Butlins again. The only consolation is that we got to travel around the area
Lynmouth was beautiful, and only use the site for sleeping.

Room Tip: do not bother
  • Stayed May 2011

Travellers are raving about these Minehead hotels

Mullion, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

went to minehead may 9th-13th 2011.We stayed in a standard 3 bedroom top storey apartment in oyster bay and if im honest after reading some reviews was expecting it to be a hell hole!!!!!!! How wrong could i have been,it was lovely and had everything you required for a self catering holiday.
I have three young teenage boys and they thought it was great,plenty of space for clothes and games etc,our double bedroom was lovely a huge dressing table, wardrobe space and lovely fresh bedding.
The bathroom had a shower which was lovely and clean,really hot water whenever you wanted it and a heated towel rail.Loo roll was supplied and all the lights etc worked fine.
The front room had two lovely leather sofas and heater worked finein there and the kitchen was well equipped,with a nice clean fridge and plenty of utensils that you would need,a nice table and chairs and plenty of room for all 5 of us.........
ENTERTAINMENT.......Cant fault it at all saw several shows in boths reds and centre stage including a robbie williams tribute band which was really good.The kids opted to watch the illusionists in the other venues and was good we could leave them do as they pleased.Abba night was also good fun!!!
the only downside was THE PRICE OF DRINKS!!!!!!! had three blackurrant and lemonades and 2 lagers and it was nearly 16.00 pounds!!!.(bought our own drinks in after that!! not really supposed to but hey ho am sure lots of people do it).
SWIMMING POOL........... Fantastic pool my kids would have stayed in all day.slides were great and very well run,though i must admit the male staff were far better then the girls,they all looked so miserable!!!!!!!!!!.Changing rooms and lockers great and were always been washed down.
FUNFAIR,.......Really good rides something for everyone shame your not allowed to bump on the bumper cars though!!!!
We had a fantastic time, people seem to expect 5* luxury but you get what you pay for and they have good deals throughout the year.Yes the chalets could do with a paint and a scrub up but they are exactly what you need a place to sleep and get away from the hustle and bustle.You could spend a fortune here especially with young children but you dont have too, morrisons and tesco are just up the road we ate there alot and after 4pm weekdays kids eat free!!
dont be put off by bad reviews on here IT IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT!!!!!!!!

1 Thank theresamullion
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

I was pleasantly surprised with our Butlins holiday. We booked as part of the sun offer & I was slightly worried about going having been to a butlins resort over 10 years ago. We were upgraded to a silver accommodation which was clean & tidy, albeit in the third floor, which as a single mum, proved a bit difficult with several bags, having to take as much luggage & my daughter up & down the stairs whilst leaving some at the bottom was quite a task. The activities on offer were really good & my 3 year old had a fabulous time. The resort was very clean & tidy & the staff were very friendly. The only one gripe I had was at 2/3am lots of drunk, very loud people shouting going past the apartment which woke us up, when I looked outside it was Butluns staff rather than other holiday makers. We were lucky with the weather but if you weren't lucky there would be several things you could do whilst under cover. Overall we had a lovely holiday & I would recommend this holiday to other families.

• Stayed May 2011
ButlinsResorts, Public Relations Manager at Butlins Minehead Resort, responded to this review, 19 May 2011
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to hear you had a few problems on your break, but it's great that you've brought them to our attention as we can try to address them and improve things for you and other guests.

To address your comments about being on the 3rd floor - I completely understand how tricky this must have been for you with a little one, so if you do come back I'd recommend requesting a ground floor room when you book - there's a cost of £10 for that.

I'm sorry about the noise issue - it's not acceptable. I've passed this on to resort management so they can speak to the team about it.

Thanks once again for posting your comments - it's great to hear you'd recommend us to other families.

Thanks and regards

Katie
Social Media Community Manager
wednesbury
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2011

The resort was not bad most of it clean, room served its use, but in the room there was the orange/brown gunk on the walls, peeling paint and a spot of mould. The entertainment was ok even if the Robbie Williams tribute Act looked like Dom Jolly and sounded like Bernard Manning. The cooks out did them self but this is where it all starts to fall apart, not one of the kitchen staff 1st language was English and this made some things hard and it didnt stop in kitchen most of the non-front of house staff were like this. Now for the Red Coats what Butlins is known for, i must say i was looking forward to meeting a few, but i didnt meet one non of them said "hello" to any of us.

Room Tip: cant say really!
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

Let me say...I'm not a Butlin's person. I'd never been before and I can't see going back to Minehead again in the near future. Its not to do with the resort, just can't think I'd have a reason to go back.

We were in the apartments in Oyster Bay. These were self-catering and very clean. They also all had new furniture (though it looked like it was from Argos). Its the start of the season and I expect they've had all winter to get things ready.

We had no real complaints about our accomodation. In fact an hour or so after we checked in a member of staff came to check that every thing was okay.

But as the week wore on, there were little things that started to get on my nerves: the very heavy fire door between the kitchen and the sleeping area which was difficult to open; the way the entire water stayed condensed on the windows of all the rooms in the flat after a shower; and lastly the lack of heat coming out of the radiators (it got a bit chilly at night). The seagulls will also wake you up every morning, but you can't really blame Butlins for that. The beds are about what you'd expect, though they give you extra pillows.

We enjoyed the swimming pool very much, especially the slides. I think the family agreed that the 'Space Hole' was the best one of the three. It has a vortex at the bottom of the slide which then drops you into a 2 metre deep splash pool. The 'Master Blaster' was only open on time when we were there and the queue was very slow. Probably not worth it. The children also enjoyed the fun fair, although they thought the 'no intentional bumping' sign on the bumper cars did seem to be missing the point.

So if, like me, you never imagined you'd ever go to Butlins, you may be surprised at how well-equipped things are. (Or maybe not if you go at the end of the season....)

• Stayed April 2011